Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Alleykat)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-21-2013, 7:32 PM Reply   
Boat show season is here and we have contemplating a new ,larger boat more dedicated to producing a solid surf wave.

We have rounded our decisions down two three candidates.
  1. 1. 2013 Centurion 244 enzo
  2. 2. 2013 Tige Z3 w convex vx plate
  3. 3. 2012 Malibu 247 LSV

As far as the Centurion goes, I love the look of the boat, like the tower height and interior room. The dash is not my favorite and some of the interior finishing just seems lacking in comparison to the others. No local dealer has one to even see or water test.

I like the interior and helm area of the Tige and the overall depth of the boat. Not overly exited about the look of the boat,very angular and blocky. And the Tige has the Smallest floor space of all of the boats in the same class. Dealer has a Z3' , but no convex vx and no idea when they will see one.

Malibu 247. This is a stock boat that is very well equipped, but no surf gate. I love the interior quality, overall look of the boat , but its not really my colors.

So, the Malibu is really the only one I have access to possibly demo. It's a little cold here now to go out and surf them all also.

Pricing among all of them is pretty close with the Tige being the most expensive at this point.

I am not opposed to weighting any the the boats as long as bags are not all over the seats. Enzo comes fairly well stocked with ballast. Can the 247 produce as good a wave as the 244 everyone raves about? Not having any time behind the Enzo I have nothing to compare to .

I imagine the Malibu will handle the best, but are the differences subtle or substantial?

Anyone with experience driving or riding these boats your opinion would be appreciated. Please don't interject other brands, I am not considering any others.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-21-2013, 9:16 PM Reply   
The 244 is a tried and true surf boat.

The Z3 definitely doesnt need the convex VX. The Z3 has had a killer wave since it came out this spring. The Convex VX just makes it even better. Plus, they will be available some time in the summer.
Old     (jaws)      Join Date: May 2012       01-22-2013, 5:42 AM Reply   
checkout the feedback from the polar bear event http://wake9.com/polar-bear-2012/recap.php
Old     (Alleykat)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-22-2013, 8:45 AM Reply   
Nice read over at Wake9. The Tige really seems to have something great going for it. Suprised to read the reviews on the Enzo, lot of the same complaints about the wave. I am not sure if this makes my decision easier or harded at this point. Wow.
Old     (F725)      Join Date: May 2010       01-22-2013, 9:19 AM Reply   
I recently got to go to Florida for a test drive and ride behind their boats with the new NSS system. I was very impressed with the adjustability and size of the wake with stock ballast. I did not ride behind the G23 or G25 but I was able to sneak a set behind the 230. That wake was by FAR the best shaped wake and longest wake I've ever ridden. At first I didn't think the wake was steep enough, but with a quick adjustment to the NSS system the wake was absolutely perfect for my riding style.

I got to watch pro riders, Tommy Czeschin and Shawn Watson do multiple wake to wake transfers with the NSS. So quick and so clean.
Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-22-2013, 9:31 AM Reply   
I personally own an 2011 Enzo 240 and love the wave. Having said that, if I was in the market today for a new surf boat, I would take a hard look at the Tige Z3. To me, the most impressive thing about it is that you don't have lean the boat nearly as much as any other manufacturer to get a competition sized wave. I haven't seen that out of the SurfGate yet. That and the fact that you can get a great wave on both sides is 2 things that it has over the Centurion in my opinion.

On the other hand, I prefer the look of the Enzo. The Tige has a lot of boxy, sharp lines and I can't stand the diamond patterned vinyl on the interior.

I have never surfed behind a Tige, but I can tell you that the Enzo at the Wake 9 event was severely handicapped and did not run with enough weight in the proper places. All who surfed the Tige had great things to say about it, but then again, it was dialed in
Old     (Alleykat)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-22-2013, 9:40 AM Reply   
G23 and G25 are both way out of reality pricewise. Nice boats, but I don't ball that hard, expecially considering our season is maybe 4 months long.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-22-2013, 12:05 PM Reply   
drnate, the 244 at the Polar Bear was not handicapped. The boat rear storage locker and under the side seat was maxed out with ballast bags, and also had at least 6 people in the boat at all times. There was no more room for extra ballast. We are a Centurion dealer and would in no way try to handicap any boat we are trying to sell/promote. We sell the top 3 surf boats (Centurion, Tige, and Supreme) and promote them and love them equally.
Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       01-23-2013, 4:08 AM Reply   
As far as handling...the Malibu handles extremely well,however, the trade off is that through rougher water it is a rougher ride, the deep V hull of the Centurion gives an amazing soft ride when running through lake chop & wakes.
Malibu's do make a nice wake, especially the 247, however, it takes a lot more weight to do so. Bags on the seats, floor. The 244 if equipped with all the ballast will through a competition wake without any exposed bags! If you want the wake bigger, then throw some in the floor!!! ;-)
Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-23-2013, 7:52 AM Reply   
sorry, maybe handicapped was a poor choice of words. I just meant that there wasn't as much weight in it as I run in mine. On mine, I run an 1100# bag in the rear compartent, a 580# bag in the side compartment, the center ballast with 250# and 250# of counterweight in mine (quick fill on Starboard side half full). No seats on bags. And, of course, the 500# quick fill on the Port side.
Old     (Alleykat)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-23-2013, 9:20 AM Reply   
I am not oppssed to wieghting like that, my biggest hurdle with the Enzo is the awful dash, low freeboard and overall interior finish. Coming from a Malibu, it's hard to go from such a plush well appointed cabin to the Centurion, but now I am putting heavy emphasis on the wave it can build. That was not a factor with the Malibu when we bought it. DRNATE,can you drop a little knowlege on me about the factory ballast system. As i understand it has changed for 2013. I know the one I spec'd out has the quick fill, center tank, bow ect, basically th pro ballast with PNP. Is the 580lbs the factory sacks under the seat, or is that something you added?
Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-23-2013, 9:53 AM Reply   
Yeah, the new plug and plays are a little different than my 2011. From what I understand, the new ones come with everything already pre-plumbed with pumps and hoses. But then you have to go out and buy the bags to put in the compartments as it would be a liability for the company to sell a boat with that much ballast.

So if the above is correct (and I am 90% sure it is), then you would want to buy an 1100# sack and a 580# sack to put in the rear and mid compartments respectfully. You could then flip the switches to fill them. And, no, the 1100 and 580 bags to do not fit the compartments perfectly but they fill up the compartments completely, ie, they are bigger than the space. From what I understand, you can buy custom bags that fit perfectly in there but they are more expensive.

The only problem I see with the above set-up is fill times. If you use the sprinkler valve system, it could take forever to fill. I chose to have a dedicated 2-way Jabsco ballast puppy installed for the 1110 with it's own switch (all aftermarket from WakeMakers). It takes about 5-7 minutes to fill.

I do not care for the 2013 enzo dash either. All the more reason why I love my 2011

Oh, and mine came with a 250# bag in the mid port compartment (way too small). So I removed it and added the 580

Last edited by drnate; 01-23-2013 at 9:58 AM.
Old     (Alleykat)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-23-2013, 10:12 AM Reply   
Thnaks man, That was along the lines of what I was thinking as far as the ballast system. Figured I would go full bore on the factory setup, but possibly have to add a pump or two. So in reality, by the time the bags, pumps, plumbing is bought to dial it in, add another $1500 or so to make it complete.

I am leary about the dash as I think it was a quick fix for the switch to the Murphy style controls, and it may be gone as fast as it came once they realize public perception of it. Haven't met many people that like it, except for the sales people???? Hate to have that one year with the awful dash. Think 2008 23 LSV....
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-23-2013, 10:30 AM Reply   
The PNP and Pro Ballast system for 2013 comes with the bags. The rear bag fills the back locker completely and the under seat bag fills under the seat completely.
Old     (jaws)      Join Date: May 2012       01-23-2013, 10:47 AM Reply   
Alleykat have you considered a Supreme V226? I love this boat and i love the price i paid for it. not much is needed to get this boat dialed in for surfing #1100 lb bag and 400lbs of lead. no bags on the seats no bags on the floor. the lay out of the boat is huge.
Old     (Alleykat)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-23-2013, 11:00 AM Reply   
I looked and was not really interested. Talk about lacking on finishings..... Illusion tower? How many boats run that now? Think I saw a Crownline with one. Beside that, I dont really like the hieght of that tower either. Gel is plain jane and interior is more basic than the Enzo. Dash IS better though.

Thanks Mitch for clarifying on the bags, like I said there are none anywhere close to look at. All my info is from what the dealer has told me and what i can find here and on the net. So this would be the setup that was run at the Polar bear event?

Last edited by Alleykat; 01-23-2013 at 11:01 AM. Reason: sp.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-23-2013, 11:44 AM Reply   
Alleycat, at the Polar Bear the 244 had quick fill, PNP, and Pro Ballast full on the surfing side. With at least 6 people in the boat.
Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-23-2013, 12:32 PM Reply   
I stand corrected
Old    Kahunacraft            01-23-2013, 4:32 PM Reply   
Good options, why not look at an X30 or CC?
Old     (Alleykat)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-23-2013, 4:37 PM Reply   
I am not interested in either of those. See:
Quote:
Anyone with experience driving or riding these boats your opinion would be appreciated. Please don't interject other brands, I am not considering any others.
Old    Kahunacraft            01-23-2013, 5:07 PM Reply   
Ah, the Tige impressed me the most, then the Bu ... That being said, if you can wait a month or so, centurion is coming out with some neat stuff.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       01-23-2013, 6:40 PM Reply   
the 244 was a sweet boat, the 244 at the polar bear just needed some dial in time, and some lead, The wave was big and long in just needed more push (it was a killer skim setup) The Z3 I rode behind was dialed with the VX the interior was nice even though it was pretty used the wave was super clean and powerful I just needed more time behind it to adapt. If money was no issue I would go with the Tige with the VX option, but if I wanted something special I might give Pavati a call and have them build me a boat exactly like I wanted...
Old     (kimper)      Join Date: May 2008       02-03-2013, 4:44 PM Reply   
If I wasn't getting a MC x30, I would get the Tige Z3 with the whale tail..... I have surfed on all the above boats in original post except the Malibu.

The key to your choice is demos... Don't buy anything until you ride behind a lot of different properly weighted boats...

In Texas (Austin area) you can get the MasterCraft X30 for the same price as a Tige Z3. I found the surf waves very comparable but the MC build quality was far superior.

Last edited by kimper; 02-03-2013 at 4:52 PM.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-03-2013, 5:05 PM Reply   
Tough choice all 3 boats are great surf boats.Demo all three is the best way to go.Then you can make the best decision for you.
Old     (Alleykat)      Join Date: Jan 2013       02-06-2013, 5:18 PM Reply   
Ya, Mastercrafts are not cheap around these parts. Kahuna, care to elaborate a little about what Centurion has coming forth? Still havent decided yet. Test Drove the BU' and it drove exceptionally well for a BIG boat, much better than I had percieved. You don't really know its big untill you are around the dock or another boat. Throws a nice wave with just stock ballast a few 1100 sacs, didnt ride as it is way too cold, but it looked nice.

Last edited by Alleykat; 02-06-2013 at 5:21 PM.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-06-2013, 6:01 PM Reply   
stock and a few 1100's ? please elaborate
Old     (Alleykat)      Join Date: Jan 2013       02-06-2013, 6:38 PM Reply   
One 1100 in the rear compartment as full as gets and one kinda full on the seats on the port side, along with the power wedge, stock tanks full and 4 people in the boat. Better? I would do a custom sack under all the seats so I imagine wieght would be somewhat close but more equally distributed.
Old    Kahunacraft            02-06-2013, 11:58 PM Reply   
When I went to the boat show, Centurion was talking about some new ballast system coming.

I know Ronix announced new bags and a 3700 gph existing Rule pump.

Prices at that show seemed like all the boats were around the 100k mark.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-07-2013, 12:16 AM Reply   
How is the x30 wave on both sides? I have only seen it on the regular side.
Old     (vman)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-07-2013, 1:23 PM Reply   
Robert. We had a group on our boat in November with a couple of goofy riders. I have to say I was fairly impressed with the dark side surf wake. Especially with the impromptu setup (we just moved a 750, some lead, and the peeps). I have just one crude pic, but from my observation, I think with a little work the goofy side could be every bit as good as the regular.
Attached Images

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-07-2013, 3:51 PM Reply   
Good to know. Maybe someday you will setup to switch side to side at a moments notice! ;-)
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-07-2013, 8:15 PM Reply   
Just need surf tabs.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oItkqqKwEes
Old     (constructor)      Join Date: Aug 2012       02-26-2013, 8:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKASurfing View Post
As far as handling...the Malibu handles extremely well,however, the trade off is that through rougher water it is a rougher ride, the deep V hull of the Centurion gives an amazing soft ride when running through lake chop & wakes.
Malibu's do make a nice wake, especially the 247, however, it takes a lot more weight to do so. Bags on the seats, floor. The 244 if equipped with all the ballast will through a competition wake without any exposed bags! If you want the wake bigger, then throw some in the floor!!! ;-)
This^ If looking for the best surf the 244(1st) or Z3. Don't settle, you'll hate yourself later.
Bigger the boat the bigger the surf but it also takes more weight to sink a big boat. I run 1600lbs on one corner of a 24ftconventional setup, no gate. V bottom rides so much better than a flat when trying to get somewhere in chop.
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-28-2013, 6:46 AM Reply   
I just ordered an Enzo SV233. Of the boats you mentioned above, I am pretty sure the SV244 is going to be the cheapest. If the other boats look nicer in the interior, its because you are paying for it. I think the Enzo is a HELL of a value (pretty crazy to say for a boat approaching 100k) compared to most other choices.

The Enzo is the second boat I have owned, and I have learned from the first one. I will not own a boat that does not have a dealership either on the lake that I boat or VERY close by. Its too difficult to get warranty boat or support otherwise. The reputation of the dealership is also everything. As much money are you are dropping, you need to make sure whoever you buy from is solid. I think, since all 3 of these boats will throw a nice wave, that would be my primary concern.

I think all three boats are awesome. I have only ridden behind an Enzo SV244 and the Malibu. I think Malibus are the coolest looking boats out there. I don't love the styling of th Tiges. Too much freeboard for my tastes, and I think their aggressive styles quickly date themselves.

I've read everything I can about the Polar Bear event. Its very simple. Given that the Enzo is 'the' standard for wakesurfing, if their were complaints about the wave at the Polarbear event, then something was obviously not done right. Nothing more needs to be said about that event. Its known that Centurion dropped the ball, and a dealership decided, at their own expense, to help out. But the dealer did not have the time to prep the boat with lead and proper weighting. But since just about everyone that rides behind a properlyt weighted Enzo says its either the best or one of the best wakesurfing boats they have ever ridden behind, don't let the Polarbear event push you away. I think the Polarbear event helped show that Centurion has some really good competition now, rather than show Centurion issues.

I actually prefer the stretched rear area of the Enzo, without all the extra seats that, quite frankly like the G23, just block up a nice clean cabin.

We are goofy riders, and we ordered our boat with the right drive option. From speaking with Jeff Page at Inland Surfers, it REALLY helps to clean up the non preferred wake by adjusting the rudder trim in the opposite side you are surfing.
Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-28-2013, 7:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarZin View Post
I just ordered an Enzo SV233. Of the boats you mentioned above, I am pretty sure the SV244 is going to be the cheapest. If the other boats look nicer in the interior, its because you are paying for it. I think the Enzo is a HELL of a value (pretty crazy to say for a boat approaching 100k) compared to most other choices.

The Enzo is the second boat I have owned, and I have learned from the first one. I will not own a boat that does not have a dealership either on the lake that I boat or VERY close by. Its too difficult to get warranty boat or support otherwise. The reputation of the dealership is also everything. As much money are you are dropping, you need to make sure whoever you buy from is solid. I think, since all 3 of these boats will throw a nice wave, that would be my primary concern.

I think all three boats are awesome. I have only ridden behind an Enzo SV244 and the Malibu. I think Malibus are the coolest looking boats out there. I don't love the styling of th Tiges. Too much freeboard for my tastes, and I think their aggressive styles quickly date themselves.

I've read everything I can about the Polar Bear event. Its very simple. Given that the Enzo is 'the' standard for wakesurfing, if their were complaints about the wave at the Polarbear event, then something was obviously not done right. Nothing more needs to be said about that event. Its known that Centurion dropped the ball, and a dealership decided, at their own expense, to help out. But the dealer did not have the time to prep the boat with lead and proper weighting. But since just about everyone that rides behind a properlyt weighted Enzo says its either the best or one of the best wakesurfing boats they have ever ridden behind, don't let the Polarbear event push you away. I think the Polarbear event helped show that Centurion has some really good competition now, rather than show Centurion issues.

I actually prefer the stretched rear area of the Enzo, without all the extra seats that, quite frankly like the G23, just block up a nice clean cabin.

We are goofy riders, and we ordered our boat with the right drive option. From speaking with Jeff Page at Inland Surfers, it REALLY helps to clean up the non preferred wake by adjusting the rudder trim in the opposite side you are surfing.
Congratulations on your Enzo 233. I have had mine since November and love it. YOur comments about are spot on. There are lots of good boats nowadays, but the are all still chasing the Enzo.
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-28-2013, 7:30 AM Reply   
Thanks . Very excited. Oddly enough, I think we are just as excited with the 5k Wetsounds stereo system as we are for anything else . Our supra has these crappy 65 watt kickers.
Old     (Alleykat)      Join Date: Jan 2013       02-28-2013, 9:27 AM Reply   
Just to add, the Malibu is not the most exspensive. Actually the Enzo is in my area. I was knida shocked by this as well.
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-28-2013, 10:37 AM Reply   
What were you seeing for pricing for similarly equipped Enzos and 24LSVs in your area?

in my area, Fully equipped SV244s are in the mid 90s. I thought the 24LSVs were just over 100k.
Old     (Alleykat)      Join Date: Jan 2013       04-25-2013, 11:52 AM Reply   
Just to let everyone know. I decided on the 247. It came down to the best value for the price and dealer support. The Malibu came in quite a bit cheaper and thus I went that direction. The crew at AWS in Oregon City did me well and I can't thank Matt and Gerry over there enough. Malibu also stepped up to keep me a Malibu customer. Was very impressed with what they were able to do for me. Boat came to me fully plumbed and sacked out as part of th deal. Spent the last fe weeks pulling togther 450 lbs lead and now the quest to get her dialed in should start in the next few weeks. Thanks for all the excellent advise and support from those WW guys that were able to help out.

Last edited by Alleykat; 04-25-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-25-2013, 12:05 PM Reply   
holy crap...what size sack is that
Old     (Alleykat)      Join Date: Jan 2013       04-25-2013, 12:37 PM Reply   
Its a custom Fly high, estimated to wiegh 2000-2200 lbs.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-25-2013, 1:02 PM Reply   
Dat ballast
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-25-2013, 1:29 PM Reply   
You will need more weight than that in the 247 to get a real nice wave
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-25-2013, 1:44 PM Reply   
where do you put that, in the rear compartment all the way up under the passanger helm? thats crazy cool. fyi, you will need an additional 1000lbs to get a wheelhouse style wave. killer boat, i love the 247, had many vlx's and have had 2 enzos 230 and a new 244. i would go back to bu if i could get a deep v. i just love the ride of the deep v. I think you will love the boat once it is set up. congrats. now the fun begins
Old     (Alleykat)      Join Date: Jan 2013       04-25-2013, 3:45 PM Reply   
It goes in the rear storage compartment and stretches all the way up the port side. All automated with Johnson pumps. I had several conversations with Stanley about setup aside from here. I think we will be fine once the tweaks begin. Not my first rodeo , I have setup a few boats to surf optimum, but we will play with several differnt configurations and see what works best. Initially the boat seemed to like counter wieght, but we will see. Never actuall rode it that way, just by "looks" seemed to like it. Also looking into a smaller platform, say off a Response.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-25-2013, 4:27 PM Reply   
Sorry for the quick response above I was at work on my phone.I am located in PDX as well and one of the guys I surf with has a 247 with custom sacks and the wave is mackin it just takes an extra 750 LBS above the seat to get really good. Congrats on the purchase you are going to be very happy once you get it dialed in
Old     (Alleykat)      Join Date: Jan 2013       04-25-2013, 5:43 PM Reply   
No worries Harold. The setup will be a little different with this boat as the rear has the transom seating. I was able to stack 450 lbs of lead all in the rear corner, a lot more than you could back there with water weight. I have plenty of extra sacks to throw around the cabin also to see what works, but having all that weight biased all in the rear corner I am thinking will be advantageous. The bag backs right up to the lead.
Old     (kimper)      Join Date: May 2008       04-26-2013, 8:30 AM Reply   
[.

[/QUOTE]

That is one phat sac!! Awesome!
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-26-2013, 5:25 PM Reply   
Malibu is a great boat, but if you need that ridiculous bag to create a great wave on too of stock ballast, then its not a very good advertisement for Malibu and their surf wave.
Old     (Alleykat)      Join Date: Jan 2013       04-26-2013, 11:29 PM Reply   
Ya. I know ,they all make great waves bone stock. How much sack you have to run in that Enzo? Betcha its close by ratio. I got almost two feet on ya bud. Don't hate because mines bigger.
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-27-2013, 7:47 AM Reply   
All I need is stock weight (which is 4300 pounds all plumbed) and I add an extra 750 pound bag on the back bench. I am sorry the Malibu only comes stock with something around 2500 but if you think you need that bag to make a good wake, you are doing something wrong or the Malibu sucks as a surf boat. I don't think it sucks, so I'll leave it up to you. I use 1000 quick fill, 750 rear locker, 750 pro, and 750 on the back seat plus two or three passengers and I'm guessing it makes a better wave without removing all the floor room.

I think the 247 is a great boat, but you have to be doing something wrong to think that is how you weight it. That, or I don't ever want to hear the Malibu mentioned as a great surf boat again.

Last edited by CarZin; 04-27-2013 at 7:56 AM.
Old     (volzalum)      Join Date: May 2009       04-27-2013, 8:46 AM Reply   
CarZin, they were just showing the sac. They said it fits in the side compartment pushed up against the lead. Essentially it is a Enzo sac custom for their boat.
Old     (Alleykat)      Join Date: Jan 2013       04-27-2013, 10:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by volzalum View Post
carzin, they were just showing the sac. They said it fits in the side compartment pushed up against the lead. Essentially it is a enzo sac custom for their boat.
EXACTLY. Lolz
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-27-2013, 7:58 PM Reply   
Hah. I guess that's what I get for being an ass.