Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakebum8488)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-05-2010, 6:53 AM Reply   
Hey does anyone know of any good products to fix a thrashed board? I live in west Michigan and there is a new cable park going in (placid waters), which I'm super pumped about, but I know I'll probably end up wrecking my board.... obviously placid isn't the first cable park in the world so i was just wondering if there is a product out there to solve this problem or if it really isn't even an issue... Thanks for the help!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-05-2010, 7:38 AM Reply   
Really it depends on your definition of thrashed. I mean if there is thikngs that are making the board not ride correctly then you have an issue, like a half tore off molded fin or something. But if it just has knicks and scratches on it I wouldn;t really swet it. They are sort of the nature of the beast here,l I hit tons of sliders, docks, rocks, stumps, really anything thats out there and destroy me boards, But I keep riding them till the snap or they are so chewed up they cut my hands up when I grab.

A good 2 part epoxy will really work to fix an major issues, but like I said, a wakeboard is a tool eventually they break.
Old     (jps912)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-05-2010, 7:50 AM Reply   
Ya we fixed my board with an epoxy and toothpicks when i ripped part of it. Turned out fine and i rode it for 2 more years haha.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-05-2010, 8:54 AM Reply   
i actually prefer JB weld. less brittle than epoxy and holds up to the sun UV rays better as well.
sands easy too.
Old     (Sean)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-05-2010, 9:11 AM Reply   
Depends on What Kind of board you are going to repair, If its compression molded your ganna have a hard time making it work, If its a flex Board with more of a snowboard construction like a slingshot I can tell you how to do it so it looks new, For this board I used West systems epoxy. its pretty easy to do.

Photobucket
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-05-2010, 9:14 AM Reply   
sun cure is my fav. for old style boards.... super easy to use, just takes a little time
Old     (cglass08)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-05-2010, 9:39 AM Reply   
Does anybody have any advice what I should use to get a little more life out of my Reflex with this crack in it?
Attached Images

Old     (Sean)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-05-2010, 9:54 AM Reply   
The rail can be repaired easily, The bottom looks like a gouge not a crack, and that can be filled in with epoxy, For the rail Build it up with duct tape as epoxy wont bond to it, Then fill up the crack just make sure you seal all the edges of the duct tape good or your epoxy will run and make a big mess. after it cures for about 24hrs remove the duct tape and sand it down as desired. Take your time it will come out nice.

Photobucket
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-05-2010, 10:01 AM Reply   
+1 for West Systems epoxy. Its good stuff which makes it more expensive but its tough as nails. I fixed a small delam in a slingshot board with it from where it was dropped in a shop and that was two years ago. Never had an issue with it again.

When I was riding cable a lot I actually used to go buy the cheap $5 epoxy at walmart and pretty much squeegee the whole tube on the bottom of my board on the raised areas to add more protection against the rail. I never wore through to the fiberglass on the board and I road rails every day.

The other thing I did with that same board for the next season was I ordered a sheet of Durasurf and epoxied it to the bottom of the board down the center that was the raised (tip to tail) area that touched when I hit rails. It slid awesome and made the bottom of the board pretty much bullet proof.

Keep in mind I was a poor college student and couldnt afford new boards and these were all solutions I could easily make work in my dorm room at the time.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-05-2010, 10:35 AM Reply   
Didn't read all the responses, but plus 1 on epoxy. I've always used the two part stuff from wal-mart that comes out of a dual chamber tube and you mix together. It's simple, and works well. Then I just shave off the excess with a file. Kept a lot of boards going with that method.