Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old    thebiggmann            09-09-2008, 5:27 PM Reply   
So, I bought an 07 Murray at the start of the season, just looking for something to kinda progress on and be a step up from my good ol' O'Brien Ambush. For the most part I've been happy with it, but I'm kinda regretting going continuous. See, I ride behind an '05 Malibu Response LXi, with a 750 pounds sac in the bac, fly high, and wedge, so I by no means have a super beefy wake. I want something that is gonna get me my maximum pop off the wake, drag a little less than my Murray, and have soft landings if possible (I know with 3 stages that's not always possible. To my point. With all the board clearances going on, I wanna pick up a 3 stage. I'm 6'2", 220ish, so a big board is needed. Here's how the options kinda lay out in my mind, but I'm also open to suggestions.

Locally:
Ronix Ibex - He's got it marked down 40% off of $429, and I'm gonna try real hard to get him down to 50%, which puts me at like $220ish I think.
Hyperlite B-side - I wanna say this one is at $469, but I might be wrong, it's close to the Ibex in price that's all I know. Same 40% rules as the Ibex tho.
POSSIBLY Hyperlite Tribute - I'm leery of going with anther continuous, but I've heard very good things about this board.

Online:
Unfortunately, I missed the Lyman deal on BBB, so this is where I stand.
LF Watson - What I was originally thinking until I found the above deals. I'm tempted to wait for one on BBB, cuz I don't wanna pay $300, but I really like what I hear about this board.
LF Shane - Love what I've heard here too, kinda same situation as the Watson.
Old    thebiggmann            09-09-2008, 5:28 PM Reply   
PS, I can't really demo, which is crazy unfortunate. I live in Northern WI...
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-09-2008, 5:48 PM Reply   
Of those, the Ibex is the only one I can speak for. It will give you more vertical pop (height) due to its rocker design. It is also a pretty fast board. You will suffer some on the landings in the flats, but overall a very nice board. It takes a little getting used to the aggressive rocker, maybe not quite as consistent as the continuous, but once you get used to it, you will really like it.
Old     (bigjokerinthebox66)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-09-2008, 6:59 PM Reply   
Thats a bummer you missed out on the BBB Lyman deal, but I'm sure that if your patient one of the five that you listed will pop up on BBB any day now. My vote is for the IBEX, but I'm biased. If you can't demo any of them, then read some reviews online. Wakeworld, wakereviews, buywake, etc....
Old    thebiggmann            09-09-2008, 7:00 PM Reply   
Biased based on you have one or that's all you've ridden?
Old     (bigjokerinthebox66)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-09-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
Of the ones you listed, I've only ridden the IBEX and the Watson(not sure if you can compare the 06 to the 08?), but like I said, it's all personal preference. You may like a board that nobody else does or vice versa.
Old    thebiggmann            09-09-2008, 7:17 PM Reply   
True, true... I would kill to Demo. It sounds like the Ibex will get the best pop from what i've read, but people rave about the watson.
Old    thebiggmann            09-10-2008, 9:11 PM Reply   
Anyone else?
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-11-2008, 1:21 AM Reply   
Slingshot Recoil has everything you're looking for. big pop, butter landings, fast and smooth the whole way through.

GO FLEX!
Old     (rmaloney)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-11-2008, 8:44 AM Reply   
I went from an '06 Parks (TON's of inconsistent pop) to the Lyman. I'm LOVING the Lyman. I've ridden the Witness, which you also may want to consider, and a few others as well. The Lyman has been my favorite. You can still get a really good deal on the Lyman from BBB. Enjoy!!
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-11-2008, 9:43 AM Reply   
Watson is the most popular shape sales-wise of the last few years. It has been refined many times and is a tried-and-true board. I demoed almost every LF board (not the lyman) in 07 and I bought the Watson.

It has lots of pop and is very forgiving and consistant due to rounded edges near center of board, and center spine down bottom of board.

I haven't tried a Hyp in the last few years but they just have never really been my fave, with a couple exceptions.

Remember a faster board will be a bit flatter, so if you want pop you want more rocker.
Old     (smylie)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-11-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
Tyler, you wouldnt happen to be talking about BJ's sport shop would ya?
Old     (btr1)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-12-2008, 2:35 AM Reply   
If you hurry, http://www.boardersbestbuy.com/ currently has the 136 B-side for $180 plus $30 shipping.
Old    thebiggmann            09-12-2008, 4:57 AM Reply   
I am talking about BJs lol . Why do you ask?
Old     (smylie)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-12-2008, 11:37 AM Reply   
cause i live up there all summer, Work at lakeside restaurant on lake tomahawk. I am friends with the owner of BJ's and with all the employees. Also i do the ski show intown.
Old    thebiggmann            09-12-2008, 9:40 PM Reply   
So I'm taking it they are pretty good to work with then? What are the chances I can swing 50% off? I would love the Ibex I think but $250 or whatever it would be is just a littttttle too much. $200-215 I could handle.
Old     (wkbrdindmax)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-12-2008, 10:23 PM Reply   
I've read the Bside is pretty narrow. I'm about your size and I have big feet, so you might have as well, and I've heard we'd probably drag our toes. Better than dragging our knuckles, but still...

If you want a poppy consistent board, I have to recommend the Cdub Transcend. Of course I'm going back to a continuous Marius, so who knows.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-13-2008, 12:03 AM Reply   
I rode the Ibex and I hated it...the landings were like landing on concrete out in the flats...of the boards u mentioned I would go for the watson, I have the first watson pro model and still love it...however, its now my secondary board due to my new love affair with my slinshot recoil!
Old    thebiggmann            09-13-2008, 1:14 PM Reply   
Is the watsons pop pretty close to the ibex's? How do they both stand for consistency? The watson was originally my choice but then I found that ibex and I wasn't really sure which way to go.
Old     (megatmoe)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-13-2008, 3:00 PM Reply   
I have a 141 B-Side for sale that I got for $239 plus $15 shipping. I rode it one time for 5 min. Too narrow for my size 12 feet. I'll sell it for $200 and pay for shipping.

megatmoe@hotmail.com
Old    thebiggmann            09-13-2008, 10:56 PM Reply   
Thanks for the offer Anthony. However, if it's to narrow for your size 12 feet, I'm gonna struggle. I'm between a 13 and 14 :-).
Old     (kottonm0uthking4)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-14-2008, 4:06 AM Reply   
You know what they say about men with big feet.... wide wakeboards
Old     (megatmoe)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-14-2008, 7:31 AM Reply   
Holy Those are some huge feet! The Shane is the widest board ive been on so far. You might wanna check into one of those.
Old    thebiggmann            09-14-2008, 8:33 AM Reply   
Am I gonna be ok with the shane being a few centimeters shorter? Like i mentioned before, I'm 6'2" 220ish, with boats for feet.
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-14-2008, 9:30 AM Reply   
What about a Marius? That will give you smooth landings but big pop.
Old     (megatmoe)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-14-2008, 3:56 PM Reply   
just look on the wakeworld board reviews for 2008 on all the boards. They list the mid width on almost every board.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-14-2008, 4:42 PM Reply   
I was an Ibex fan until i got on a slingshot... what part of wisco?...im at school in menomonie and if you want to try my recoil you're welcome to
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       09-14-2008, 5:44 PM Reply   
Your season is getting toward over in wisconsin. I would probably wait and see what comes up on Boardersbestbuy over the winter. I ride behind a malibu sportser. If you put two big sacks on either side of the engine cover and some weight up front you can get a very nice size wake out of it.
Old    thebiggmann            09-14-2008, 5:47 PM Reply   
I've heard some good things about the Marius too, I'm gonna have to look around for some deals. Nick, thanks for the offer man, I really appreciate it, but I'm about 3 hours to the north, up in Rhinelander. If I was closer I'd definitely hit you up on the offer.
Old    thebiggmann            09-16-2008, 5:38 PM Reply   
Tough to find a Marius within my price range so far. Do you guys think a Shane 140 worth considering or will that be too short for me?
Old    thebiggmann            09-16-2008, 6:50 PM Reply   
Sorry for the multiple posts in a row. I was reading some reviews on WW and someone mentioned the Ibex needing a pretty big wake because of the design or something like that. What do you guys think about that? Like I said, my wake isn't great, not terrible, but not great, and I wanna just maximize my pop off it.