Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (charvey)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-11-2006, 7:42 AM Reply   
I have figured out that the best time to buy a new boat is boat show season (winter), is this the best time to trade in a boat? I have been trying to sell stuff (jeep, old boat, and other stuff) for the past year and I want a new boat, but would rather trade my 04 Moomba Outback that sell it myself. Any suggestions?
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-11-2006, 8:10 AM Reply   
Sell it yourself. You'll get a lot more money out of it.
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-11-2006, 8:20 AM Reply   
Sell it yourself!
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-11-2006, 8:30 AM Reply   
Chris, I had a 02 Outback that I sold myself. I didn't spend a dime in doing so and it did not take very long.

U can do it
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-11-2006, 8:48 AM Reply   
insuranceman,
What route did you take to sell your boat??
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-11-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
moomba.com.
wakeworld.com
flipsell.com

I think it took about 3-4 weeks to sell for almost what I was asking.
Old     (charvey)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-11-2006, 11:36 AM Reply   
Yeah, but.... if I trade the boat in, I can accept about $1500 less than if I sold it myself because when I buy a new boat I'll only be paying sales tax on the difference between the trade value and the new boat price.
Do they just screw you on your trade? Would I get less trade in value in the winter than I would now?
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-11-2006, 12:38 PM Reply   
i can only speculate, but i'm pretty sure you end up getting the short end of the stick, especially if you're looking for a killer deal on a new boat with incentives, boat show pricing, etc. in other words you can't get both. the reality is, the dealer has to inventory your trade, prep it for sale, maintain it for sale and sit on it. it becomes a cost of goods for them and if it's not something they think they can move quickly, you're worse off. i know some dealers here will only take a boat on consignment, meaning they'll take your boat, but they're really just listing it for you. they don't give you anything up front if unless i'm mistaken and even then they charge you a fee. i highly doubt that if you found a dealer to take a trade you'd be getting a screaming deal on a new boat. i could be wrong though. i also think it's tougher to get a good trade-in this time of year because dealers realize the season is nearing an end (at least here). or read as the best time to trade is in the spring which is the worst time to buy a boat fiscally speaking. blah blah blah, happy friday.
Old    abadsvt            08-11-2006, 11:31 PM Reply   
I was told that when you trade in a boat they give you 75% of low blue book. For example a boat that you would sell yourself for 30k you would only get 22,500k if you trade that in. You might be able to negotiate if your boat that your trading in is in great condition and depending on how bad they want your business. Anyways good luck on what ever route you go!
Old     (brian_l)      Join Date: May 2006       08-12-2006, 10:17 PM Reply   
if you have some info on that boat were looking for one, we live in houston.