Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (cam892001)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-21-2005, 2:53 PM Reply   
This weekend while cleaning my boat, I noticed that the hour meter was running even though the engine wasn't on, just the ignition switch. Is this correct, and if so, how can you tell the difference b/w actual "running" hours and the actual hours that show on the meter? Is there a way to correct this due to the fact that most of the day we are just docked while listening to the radio b/w sets? The boat is an 89 Nautique 2001. Thanks!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-21-2005, 3:17 PM Reply   
other than disconnecting one of the wires to the guage...your SOL. Add more batteries so you don't have to run the engine. there is no way to differentiate between the "types" of hours. If someone is serious about buying your boat...a well trained mechanic can usually guesstimate the hours on a motor, or at least tell you weather or not it's in good shape.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-21-2005, 3:22 PM Reply   
On your 89 Nautique your hourmeter runs whenever the ignition is turned on (energized). There are two solutions, either change the key tumbler to one that has an accessory position or add a switch to turn your radio on when the key is off.

Your hour meter now reads how many hours your ignition has been turned on, there is really no way to tell how many hours it has been on when the engine was not turning. It may be possible reading the computer with some of the later motors but I don't think you can tell with an 89.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-21-2005, 3:48 PM Reply   
You can hot wire your stereo to the battery. I've done this with my last 2 boats. The only thing you have to remember it to shut the stereo off before you leave for the night.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-22-2005, 1:21 AM Reply   
Some modern hour meters take a pick up from the coil and hence only count actual engine running hours. Also some only start counting when the voltage hits 14v ie. when the alternator is outputting.

You should never buy a boat on a account of the hours, its like buying a a car on account of the mileage. Theres too many other things to factor in.
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-22-2005, 8:46 AM Reply   
I have heard you can burn up the coil if you leave the ignition on for an extended time with the engine off. This is not the accessory position - actually having the ignition on (gauges on, etc.).
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-23-2005, 4:12 PM Reply   
Cam:

You shouldn't be leaving the ignition on without the engine running!

If your stereo won't work without the ignition being on then what you should do is rewire the stereo to a circuit that is always on.

Like Keith said, leaving the ignition on for long periods runs the risk of overheating the coil (certainly true of non-electronic ignitions, I am not sure about newer electronic versions). With the engine running the coil is only being energized about 30% of the time. If the engine happens to stop with the points closed and you leave the ignition on the coil is energized 100% of the time and it can overheat.

I have seen coils literally explode because they got so hot that their case popped. I have also had a couple just go belly up because they burned out after being left on.

Rod
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-23-2005, 4:15 PM Reply   
My boat has two hour meters. The one in the Tach which displays the amount of time that power runs to it, and the one only readable by a service tech which is in the engine management chip. The one in the engine chip is accurate.
Old     (cam892001)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-25-2005, 6:42 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input..I'm going to have to get it rewired to the battery. How hard is it? Not being electrically minded, should I attempt this myself?