Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old    buzjr            10-29-2004, 10:34 AM Reply   
I hear a lot about feet position on a wakeboard. Is there such a thing?
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-29-2004, 10:46 AM Reply   
yes.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-29-2004, 11:00 AM Reply   
I do agree with T.D. but he forgot to metion that foot position is can make or break you. You have to have you feet in a good natural position. Centered and neutral on the board.
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-29-2004, 11:10 AM Reply   
Most important is to have your feet equal distance from center of the board. Width and angle varies, and should be comfortable. Popular belief is wider stance is better, although you need to be careful 'cause wide stance stresses the knees a little more.......
Old     (jamesb)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-31-2004, 2:58 AM Reply   
Don't be fooled into thinking a wider stance is better. Width should be what is comfortable and make sure that you don't feel that you are putting any stress on your knees or ankles by just riding. Definately want to have your feet equal distance from the centre of the board so that you are balanced for riding switch. Prefer both my feet ducked out at 9degrees (but again its preference).

Please just don't feel that your feet have to be as wide as possible.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-31-2004, 5:19 PM Reply   
As you would land if you jumped off a table.
Old    buzjr            11-01-2004, 11:58 AM Reply   
Ok, when I wakeboard my right foot in towards the back at a slight angle towards the back of the board. in other words toes are pointed away from the front of the board. Now my left foot is in a I guess you can say a stock position. When I wakeboard my left foot feels like I am putting more weight on it that the rear...is this normal or am I all messed up...please help :-)
Old    upupnaway            11-02-2004, 6:39 AM Reply   
Can you ride switch yet?
The reason I ask is that you need to find a foot position that works both ways. when I first started, I had my front foot angled out more than my back foot, but when I started riding switch, I had to angle the back foot out more.
While you are riding, start with both boots 1 hole off of center, and adjust one hole at a time. If your big toe is mashing up against the side of the binding, toe them in a little. if your little toe is getting mashed against the side of the binding, toe it out.
As far as width goes, start off with your feet at shoulder width, and adjust for comfort.

Old     (wkbdtime)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-02-2004, 9:08 AM Reply   
The proper stance on your wakeboard is slightly Shoulder width apart. Your feet should be pointing straight. Ducked feet position causes major stress on the knee, thus resulting in, if you land wrong, ACL injury and 6 month of rehab after surgery. There is an article in wakeboarder mag. issue Feb 2004 or March 2004 which talks about stance.

Remember: knee injury are the #1 injurys in wakeboarding, due to bad stance. I was one of those stats. I ducked stanced, came down wrong on a tantrum and cut my ACL in half. 8 months later, now I have to start over....So word from the wise. We teach proper stance in our schools www.learn2wakeboard.com

Good Luck
Old     (jeff206)      Join Date: May 2004       11-05-2004, 9:06 AM Reply   
I don't understand why ducked out stance puts more stress on your knees. A lot of my friends play football for my school, WSU, and we supposidly have one of the best strength training coaches in the country, and a lot of the squat and leg exersises they do use a ducked out stance, Why would thy do that if it puts more pressure on the knee? Or would that help strengthen stuff?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-05-2004, 9:51 AM Reply   
I agree Jeff a duck stancce gives you a more stable base. A simple test, next time your standing, look up, arms to your side, with your feet together faceing straight forward. You will start to lose your balance. Now duck your feet out about 10 degrees or so. Now you can balance better, and stand alot longer. A marine showed me this, who happened to be hazing my balls off, during a fraternity "function"
I'm a firm believer in preventing injury. Get in the gym, work out your legs and build strength in your joints. your body will thank you for it
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-05-2004, 10:09 AM Reply   
You are forgeting that when you ride, you twist your upper body. That combined with the duck feet is what puts stress on your knees. I am not an expert, this is just my observation.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-05-2004, 11:47 AM Reply   
Robert, look at Pro athletes (baseball/football) take a look at their stances, all ducked out in a ready postion, but I see your point. Ride what ever feels comfortable to you. As you progress in your riding, your stance may change a little.