Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-12-2012, 8:57 AM Reply   
A teacher friend of mine asked me to do career day at her school for eight-graders. I think I'll have a 1/2 hour to kill. I might even get crazy and bust out a Powerpoint presentation! Any suggestions or ideas to make it interesting?
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-12-2012, 9:03 AM Reply   
Well... with the invent of the System 2.0, wakeboarding can go places it's never been before... even into the classr... oh, wait. This probably is too much.

Maybe a lil' Powerpoint about Wake (with imbedded awesome videos) and what WakeWorld is and has been and has done for wakeboarding and the community. Bring the new Tige too! ha You're definitely not at a loss for material.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-12-2012, 9:45 AM Reply   
That would be sweet to have a winch setup in the gym for kids to try! LOL! Weird, every boy in the school wants to be a pro wakeboarder now and only 2 people in the teaching staff have ever heard of the sport.

On a serious note, I would definitely try and show a short video and then talk about the physical fitness level that you have to be at in order to be a professional athlete. So many kids today just sit in the house and play video games and eat cheetos. I would talk about fitness, trampoline training, water training, expense, boat expense, etc. There's a lot to it that some may take for granted. Most don't have the access to the water/boat or the money to ride enough to even have a shot at being a pro wakeboarder.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-12-2012, 9:54 AM Reply   
Bring Rockstar girls
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-12-2012, 10:28 AM Reply   
+1 for the rockstar girls
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-12-2012, 11:41 AM Reply   
play the sine wake boards commercial with the steve aoki music. all the other dads will love wake boarding.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-12-2012, 11:42 AM Reply   
or you could tow the new wake world rig to the school and bring the class out the to parking lot and show them what a real wake boat, wakeboard and the rest look like. Maybe even crank the wet sounds system.
Old     (ToPHeR35)      Join Date: Jul 2011       03-12-2012, 12:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakereviews View Post
Bring Rockstar girls
Yes, kids love sugar!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-12-2012, 12:45 PM Reply   
I'm going to ask if I can bring a wakeboard so that I can properly explain the sport.
Old     (humboldt9)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-15-2012, 7:53 AM Reply   
Tow your boat to the parking lot and see if any of the kids will start a kool aid drinking contest about how their dad's MC, BU, or CC is better then a Tige. On a serious note see if the classroom has an Internet connection and projector and give the kids a virtual tour of WW (shameless plug for your business also)!
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-15-2012, 8:35 AM Reply   
Show them any video of Randall Harris...minds blown! I like what Timmy! suggested about the fitness aspect of the sport.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-15-2012, 8:40 AM Reply   
Dave, I think the teacher is thinking more along the lines of your entrepreneurial success. How to make a business out of thin air and enthusiasm and keep it aloft. etc etc. Dont forget the toy drive and community involvement aspect. More career, less wake.

That said..
+3 for the Rockstar girls.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-15-2012, 8:42 AM Reply   
I would do
Explain what wakeboarding is
5-10 mins of video of wakeboarding
Few slides on what you do to help enhance the wakeboard world (this site - the work that goes into it)
Talk on other jobs in the industry besides being a pro -- designer for boards/boats, marketing, etc etc etc

give them stickers or some ****, kids love that crap
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-15-2012, 8:45 AM Reply   
Did it yesterday and it went pretty well considering Powerpoint crashed in all three presentations! They told me to show lots of video because the kids don't have much of an attention span, so I did. They were all really interested and asked a lot of questions. I was surprised how few of them had even heard of wakeboarding. The videos I showed included on the WakeWorld Transcend (I also brought the board he rode in to show the kids), (to show winch, rails and my one employee), (to show wakeskating and cable) and my from Global Warning to show how much hair and fat I used to have!