Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (NJV)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-01-2010, 6:19 AM Reply   
I've been wakesurfing now for two years, but have surfed most of my life. I really like my skim type board, and also have a 5'4" Blue Lake Quad that I really don't like anymore, actually looking to sell it. Only used it one season, just sat in the boat this season. Can't really move that thing like I would like to. I am looking for a surf type board to go along with my skim type board that is fast and allows for tricks. I was told the Inland Surfer Sweet Spot is a good board. I weigh around 200 - 205. I can't really demo any boards so looking for some good advice.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-01-2010, 6:27 AM Reply   
I think you're too big for the Sweet Spot,the Swallow is for heavier riders.
Old     (NJV)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-01-2010, 6:42 AM Reply   
Is the Swallow faster than the blue lake quad? Any other boards you would recommend?
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-01-2010, 7:13 AM Reply   
Yes.faster and slightly smaller.I have a Blue Lake also and feel the same as you ,time to get alittle higher performance board.Can't comment on other boards as the Blue Lake is the only one I've been on,but there're plentty of people on here that will help you out.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-01-2010, 7:41 AM Reply   
NJV, you're not too big for a Sweet Spot. It's an excellent board. I also have a Grindwater Ginsu that I'll let go cheap. It's very similar in performance to the Sweet Spot and a bit more forgiving. PM me if interested.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-01-2010, 7:57 AM Reply   
I agree, you are not to big for the Sweet Spot and it is a great board. A buddy rode mine last week and he is 230lbs. I would say 230lbs is at the top end, but you can ride it all day long at 175lbs-220lbs. The Swallow still is a great board and much faster than Blue Lake. However, it does sound like you still want a more advanced bored than the Swallow.

Here is a link to a lot of feedback on a bunch of boards ridden regular people:

http://www.centurioncrew.com/Give-fe...ion-t3325.html

Towanza is having a Demo Sale at the moment and Shredd Stixx has 30% off if you join their Facebook page.
Old     (NJV)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-01-2010, 7:58 AM Reply   
Tuneman, I really don't want to make the same mistake I did with my Blue Lake, that was expensive. Which board is better and they are both surf style righ? Are you a dealer, you said you will let it go for cheap, are you also selling the Sweet Spot?
Old     (NJV)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-01-2010, 8:09 AM Reply   
Thanks for that link JKW, great information. Yes, you are correct, need a faster more advanced board now. Leaning towards the Sweet Spot.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-01-2010, 8:48 AM Reply   
Sorry,my mistake.Could have sworn the IS had that listed as a lower weght range when it came out.Their board chart does show it for 125-250lbs.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-01-2010, 9:48 AM Reply   
@NJV: I dont think you would be out much money if you sold the Blue Lake. The Blue Lake is a very popular board and holds it value because so many different people can ride it. You could list that Blue Lake on Centurion Crew and have it sold in a few days. Last week, I sold my 2009 Blue Lake Quad Fin (it was in good shape) for $350 + Shipping in about 3 hrs. I am sure you could find a used Sweet Spot for $450 + shipping. Towanza's Demo sale had 2 of them last week.
Old     (NJV)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-01-2010, 11:14 AM Reply   
Thanks JKW, they just sold them the other day. I will post my Blue Lake, thanks again for the advice.
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-01-2010, 6:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuneman View Post
NJV, you're not too big for a Sweet Spot. It's an excellent board. I also have a Grindwater Ginsu that I'll let go cheap. It's very similar in performance to the Sweet Spot and a bit more forgiving. PM me if interested.
How much for the Ginsu? Is it in good shape??? Thanks
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-02-2010, 8:44 AM Reply   
$450 shipped for the Ginsu. I rode it only one day for a couple of times. The surface finish is not very good, but the performance is awesome. Yes, it's a surf style board and is very similar in performance to a Sweet Spot and is a bit more forgiving. PM me if you want it.
Old     (meraculus)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-02-2010, 11:53 AM Reply   
Here's my 2 cents

I have the IS red tide, IS blue lake, and IS sweet spot, I can ride all of them and have fun but they don't suit my style (I have been ocean surfing for a long time). My buddy who weighs more than you loves the sweet spot, it fits his style really well, and my wife loves the blue lake.

You surf in the ocean so you are probably used to riding boards with rocker and concave, the flat IS boards have neither. I have 2 custom Stretch boards, the first one had to much rocker and not enough surface area to keep up with the wake. The second I ordered after trying more than a dozen boards and talking with Stretch, I love that board! It works really well with my style and it's light as a feather. I remember ragboy mentioned some other big guy boards, try to demo those if you can, or if you are in California you can try mine.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-02-2010, 1:00 PM Reply   
I would definitely check out the walker boards, and the shredstixx boards also. Everytime we demo those boards, with lots of others, everyone seems to gravitate towards the TWP boards. Its kinda like the pepsi challenge thing, and when you see that, it says something about those boards.

We haven't had many SS boards at our demos, so I add them in because I know people like Chase, Wood, Stieg use them successfully and they are all great surfers. Hopefully, you can get a good demo with several boards.
Old     (NJV)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-02-2010, 1:36 PM Reply   
Okay, thanks again for the advice. How and where do you demo boards. I live in Orange County, CA and there is no selection of boards out here. Every good board I see is online. I just want a surf style board that is fast and allows for tricks. I am hoping to lose some weight by next summer and get down in the
190's, but I think I always say that. I was leaning towards the Sweet Spot, but now you have me thinking again. Is there really that much of a difference between the Sweet Spot and the other boards you are mentioning?
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-02-2010, 2:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJV View Post
Okay, thanks again for the advice. How and where do you demo boards. I live in Orange County, CA and there is no selection of boards out here. Every good board I see is online. I just want a surf style board that is fast and allows for tricks. I am hoping to lose some weight by next summer and get down in the
190's, but I think I always say that. I was leaning towards the Sweet Spot, but now you have me thinking again. Is there really that much of a difference between the Sweet Spot and the other boards you are mentioning?
I have a JWSM and a Sweet Spot. I also just picked up a Towanza Ruthless that is made by JWP. The JWSM/Ruthless are completely different than the Sweet Spot. To be honest, since I have never surfed before it has taken a little time to get used to these boards because they really do ride rail to rail. They are very light and responsive and much more "advanced" than the Sweet Spot. They are beyond my skill set but will be fun to grow into over the next year.

With that said, I will probably will never get rid of the Sweet Spot. It is very fast and has a ton of "down the line" speed. So you just put weight on your front foot and shoot forward. You can get airs and spin it and it is a much more forgiving board to ride. It is also a lot less work to ride.

To be honest, I really dont think I could have gone straight from the Blue Lake I rode last year to the JWSM/Ruthless this year. The Sweet Spot has been a great transition board

Note: All three boards are way beyond my skill level, but I sure am going to have fun trying to up my game The next board on my list is a Flyboy.

Note 2: The Shred Stixx are great boards, but from what I have seen they are built for airs and are much harder to spin. With that said, they are having a 30% off sale at the moment.
Old     (NJV)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-03-2010, 8:55 AM Reply   
Is this sale on their website? I don't see anything about a 30% off. Which board would you recommend?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-03-2010, 1:17 PM Reply   
I have two TWP boards and love them. I have a 5.0 comp x and a Bazooka 5.1 (which would be a push for your weight; its to big) I have also spent a lot of time on the TWP JWSM at 4'11" and like it a great deal as well. The Comp would be a good transition board but the other two require one too surf a lot more. I'm not a fan of off the shelf boards, I very much prefer one shaped for me and my needs. It takes longer to get but its worth the wait. Another nice thing is that they are made in the USA.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-03-2010, 2:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJV View Post
Is this sale on their website? I don't see anything about a 30% off. Which board would you recommend?
Type in "facebook4000" when you check out

See facebook page for details:

http://www.facebook.com/shredstixxwa...tixxwakesurfco