Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old    riverfreak            09-02-2002, 5:57 PM Reply   
OK, I've been trying the 360 for a month and have lucked out and actually passed the handle on a few, but not gettin big air.....I have everything perfect, I'm getting a nice pop....looking over my shoulder to the shoreline....and CAN NOT, I repeat, CAN NOT get my grip on the handle for the landing....I'm landing in the flats just as smooth as if I had the rope.....anyway so today I did the rope and trampoline thing....until I was out of breath....

I have an old trashed board...so I was thinking I would take the fins off, put some old boots on and try the 360 on the tramp with the board.....anyone ever used a board on the trampoline? just wondering if it might help???

frustrated and getting pissed!!!!
(maybe my arms are just too short?)
Old    eyesman            09-02-2002, 7:40 PM Reply   
freak,

do not use gloves and you will grip the handle.
if you are already not using them, try making the pass as the small of your back, grab that handle then do your head turn and spot the landing

the trampoline has no forward moving force like rope from a boat. other than practicing staying on axis on a 360 forget the tramp - bust it out on the water.

later
Old    norcalddc            09-03-2002, 12:15 AM Reply   
since wakeboards don't flex, i am not sure how good of an idea it is to use one on the trampoline. i have heard of people using snowboards and taping the edges, and i've used a skateboard with shoes screwed to it.
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-19-2002, 3:14 AM Reply   
skate board with shoes and ice man is wrong about the tramp. you can load the rope on a tramp just like behind the boat. try them t\s f\s i think they are easiest.
t\s f\s 360
Old                09-19-2002, 7:49 AM Reply   
Is that a wake?

hehe

-Matt
Old     (suprarider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-19-2002, 8:02 AM Reply   
Riverfreak:
I could never get the handle pass until I saw a pic of Shaun Watson from the back on a spin and noticed that he was grabbing with the "baseball" grip behind his back.
I always tried to grab palms up and once I switched I could get the pass consistant. It seems to put the handle right in my hand. Just a thought...good luck
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-19-2002, 8:58 AM Reply   
dude you cant pass the handle if you hold it like a baseball bat.try it now...see doesn't work. palms up are you serious??? oh behind the back. this is right. that is a wake matt. mastercraft prostar 190. it looks like all my buddies were on one side of the boat. here is another. how is that compared to your bayliner?
wake
Old                09-19-2002, 9:27 AM Reply   
I don't know, is it pretty stiff? With 330#'s of wieght and 5 peeps in my boat I get that size wake but the hull is shaped diff. so I'm sure yours is more solid, also mines further apart than yours because the beam on my boat is 96" pretty tough to go W2W.

-Matt
Old                09-20-2002, 7:09 PM Reply   
Dont worry riverfreak.. im having the same problem too...some times ill just end up doing a blind 180 and i wont have the rope.. or ill complete the 360 and let go.. i tihnk a tower or pylon would be great help for me and if you dont got one maybe get one

(Message edited by jimmbo66 on September 20, 2002)
Old                10-06-2002, 7:19 PM Reply   
keep the handel low and hey matt in the pic are you rinding on lk washington
Old                10-06-2002, 7:36 PM Reply   
um you mean mike? I didn't post a pic.

-Matt
Old     (krashr31)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-14-2002, 3:57 PM Reply   
jim if your landing your 3's blind your spinning the wrong way. i too was very confused about spins at the beginning, higher learning and detention are great tools for figuring these things out. for your basic (heelside frontside)3 try taking a progressive,. but about fifty percent of your hardest cut.when i get to the base of the wake(without flattening out) i let my arms straighten and relax alittle bit. right after i completely leave the wake i give a smooth gentle pull with both hands and let go with my lead hand, turning the handle down (make sure your passing the handle so that your thumb points towards the water, this will help your other hand find the handle)the whole time your wathing the horizan land looking at the wakes not the handle. i don't think there is one trick in wakeboarding where looking down can help. good luck.I hope this helps cuz it took awhile to describe this trick and i hope i did it well. Peace
Old                10-27-2002, 5:15 PM Reply   
im having the same prob...i can get a few fingers on tha handle but i always loose it... n my dad just witerized our boat so looks like i have to wait till next year to work on in more
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-03-2002, 1:47 PM Reply   
You gotta make sure your not letting your back hand(on the handle) way out from your body. Come in on a half cut w/ elbows at your side and just pop it and rip on the handle, actually try to gain on the boat so you land with slack. Overdo it 'til it becomes natural. Spinning is a must try harder.

Steve
Old                12-09-2002, 6:42 PM Reply   
i got the same problem with 360 as riverfreak..... i landed it once... i got no tower so i have to start it as soon as i pop off the wake....i can usually get all around but i just cant grab the rop at the end with my left hand
Old                02-12-2003, 5:26 PM Reply   
Don't focus so hard on grabbing the handle until about 3/4 into your spin. It is not passing a basketball. Just chill. It also helps if the driver turns a little into the way you are spinning. That washes out the wake so you don't case the tranny it also puts more slack into the line. Good luck money.
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-21-2003, 6:29 PM Reply   
do the handle pass early if you want to rotate faster. have you seen someone do a 720? fast.
Old                04-23-2003, 10:15 PM Reply   
practice the handlepass sitting in the water with the boat pulling you at idle speed.
Old                04-29-2003, 4:52 AM Reply   
First off dont try spinning faster, or passing the handle with any speed. The people you see doing 720's started with 360's and worked thier way up. I worked on 360's for over a year before I finally got them nailed. Funny thing is I never made any progress getting the handle pass and then it just clicked.
What I did was break up the move into two parts. (1)The first part being the approach, takeoff, first 180,
(2)then the handle pass.
I didnt think about the last 180 untill the handle pass was completed and clean. I only had to try this method once before I actually felt the handle hit the palm of my free hand. Within two sets, I had completed the pass and was landing just a little off axis and would loose it. The very next time out I landed it clean.
So my advice will always be to slow down. Get a good pop, then and only then rotate. It will feel like youll land facing backwards, but once the handle is passed youll finish your spin.
Trust Me. (and sorry for the long post)
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-29-2003, 9:13 AM Reply   
Brad is right. Jump first, then pull the handle to spin.
Old                05-01-2003, 9:32 PM Reply   
Heres a good sequence.
Old     (wakemandan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-10-2003, 10:50 PM Reply   
Well, i find that it is best to need all the speed you need tward the wake and then turn it tward the boat pretending to jump into the seat backwards and look at yourself wakeboarding, this will allow some slack in the rope and start your spin, as far as grabbing the handel, HOLD ON! i have no idea, just grab it man, also passing it behind your back really helps if it does tighten up again.
Old     (hotlanta)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-16-2003, 2:11 PM Reply   
make sure you yank the handle towards the small of your back with BOTH hands... it'll give you better rotation and makes it much easier to complete the pass.
Old     (tantrum999)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-30-2003, 3:17 PM Reply   
Dont land in the flats, come down the second wake. I cant remember the last time i failed a 3 and i think thats because I decide while im up there whether i have good enough pop and hang time this also causes me to spin it late. If Your real stuck then practice while the boat is turning slightly. this vill give more vertical pop which is what you need. Always remember to pop straight up. If your still missing the handle then grab or slap the board before you rotate, this will force you to spin it late. Make sure your spinning the righ way.