Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-09-2012, 2:52 PM Reply   
Just curious, as I own my own small marketing company I am constantly talking with business owners in the community. One thing that I am hearing out in the field is that small business owners are asking me about social media and mostly Facebook.

Even though I have helped a few clients with their Facebook marketing it is not something we have really adopted yet. My question is this -

Is there anyone here who helps business owners market with social media preferably Facebook and if so, how are you doing it? In other words are you building their fan pages increasing likes and check ins etc... Are you charging an up front fee with a small monthly maintenance fee?

I know I am leaving money on the table by not implementing this service into our ad mix but I have just been to busy to take some time to really dive deep into it.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-09-2012, 4:01 PM Reply   
Im not in marketing, but have done this for my business and another company I worked for. FB is just the tip of the iceberg. Social Media is a must for most businesses now and I don't see how you could be in any type of internet marketing and not be offering this type of service. Set up is easy. It should be up to the client to maintain updates and content.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-09-2012, 4:41 PM Reply   
Well it's been on the radar for a while and we also have our social media in tact but most of our clients up until the past few months have really not wanted to do anything with it. Facebook as a whole is still trying to find it's legs on how it can leverage it's huge database and turn it into revenue. We are definitely looking at strategies and different ways it can bring revenue to our clients. I was just curious if there were any other marketers on this forum who could share ideas or things that have been successful for them or their clients in implementing social media into their ad mix.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-10-2012, 10:09 AM Reply   
this is very interesting topic. Can someone explain to me how facebook, social media has anything to do with business? I just dont make the connection.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-10-2012, 11:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sn View Post
this is very interesting topic. Can someone explain to me how facebook, social media has anything to do with business? I just dont make the connection.
It puts your business in front of millions of people.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-10-2012, 10:57 AM Reply   
Several different aspects i would think. but just a few would be things like "check in", if you're buddy "checks in" at a place that you've never heard of you click on and see what they are about, you might be inclined to use their services next time, or at least put them in the mix for your decision process. also the biggest thing i've seen is deals. say your a retailer, you offer coupons or something that you post on your facebook page, then when a customer comes in using your coupon you see that it worked. many others would see it as that too, if you're buddy hears that you are getting a "deal' because of facebook then they'll "like" the page too. i'm sure there are many more reasons but i just don't have the time right now.

its all about spreading the word of your business to people, whether it is customers, or investors. when an investor sees that you have xxx "likes" on your page, then obviously people know about you.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-10-2012, 11:45 AM Reply   
78% of consumers trust peer recommendations.
14% trust advertisements
Its affordable
Opportunity for viral effect
Enhances brand
Builds credibility with target markets
Increases traffic to website

400+ million active users on FB
35 million daily user updates
60 million daily status updates
5 billion pieces of content
3.5 million monthly events
1.5 million local business pages
5.3 billiion fans created

Fastest growing segment on FB. Females 55-64
Source facebook.com 2009!

The question is, can you afford not to be using social media.
Engages customers
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-10-2012, 12:26 PM Reply   
Funny enough I was thinking about the same thing this morning.

I guess the question is what kind of market are you in? Second that what are your clients looking for in return? Just eyes? or do they want valuable information in the forms of leads?

I'm in the Embedded Market (Microchips and tools), were I am the marketing director for various embedded websites and Enewsletters. I have an audience of roughly half a million engineers a month. In my market I battle the idea of having Facebook pages for a few reasons.

-Most of my clients want leads and views of their products. They only pay for specific ads to be placed in very targeted areas.
-They want to see the leads in the form of; name, email, job title, company etc. This gives them a way of seeing what type of engineer/ company views the product.
- Now can facebook provide me with leads? Im not sure. Do my clients care if johnny engineer likes me on facebook? I haven't asked.

What it all comes down to in the end is the value you bring to their dollar.

Last edited by Michael; 05-10-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: I type to fast
Old    bigdtx            05-10-2012, 3:04 PM Reply   
I have a client that uses facebook quite a bit in their marketing. They are a web based storefront so that is one caveat. They will give a discount if you like them on facebook - this has been pretty successful for them. Once the customer "likes" them, they get updates on any new sales and discounts, and can pass that info on to their friends etc. They can also chat with costumers on the wall - makes for a good marketing tool.

I wanted them to set up a twitter account too but they didn't want to mess with it. That is another way to blast info out to people, but I never use twitter either so it was not a big deal to me.

I "liked" my mechanic and I get updates every time they run a sale, etc. Much easier for them than doing constant contact or something like that and they don't have to ask me for my email address which I wouldn't give them anyway.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-10-2012, 3:12 PM Reply   
Interesting posts. IMO Facebook has done an amazing job getting people to bring others to facebook whether it is for social or business etc... The big winner in this is FACEBOOK. In the grand scheme of things the real strength to Facebook is their massive database of people. in reality it's the only power they have. Now the question is how do business owners tap into this? like the post about you can build brand credibility with likes, and you can have your customers check in to reach a wider audience for free. As far as marketing companies making omney off the service, i actually sold my first fan page today. At this point what I am finding is even though i don't claim to be an expert at this yet, most small business owners don't have a clue what to do with it.

One tihng that I am seeing that I am not a fan of is business owners putting their facebook link on their website. IMO you should have a link from your facebook to your website but not the other way around. You do everything in your power to drive views to your website, why would you then take people to your facebook page where they are no longer on your own private site which should be the foundation of your online marketing? Anyway social media is definetely opening some doors for business savvy people.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-10-2012, 4:54 PM Reply   
Poser...No disrespect, but it sound like you are not seeing the big picture. It obviously depends on the type of business, but FB has become as important or even more important than a company website (You absolutely should have a website link to build FB fans). A website is passive, where a potential client can see what your business has to offer. Social Media is interactive, once someone has "liked" your page, they get regular updates on new products and deals...As mention, it also has the ability to go viral and reach more customers than a standard website alone. As a business, If you are not onboard with social media you will eventually be left behind.

As far as FB having no legs, it has an estimated value of 33 billion. It is worth more than EBay: $32 billion, Dell: $23.8 billion, Starbucks: $19.2 billion & Yahoo: $19.1 billion.

The best part is that social media is its free and easy. FB is obviously the big dog, but you should also understand the advantages of Twitter, RSS and Four Square at the least. Maybe even Google+ and MySpace (I know, don't laugh).

As far as how to manage FB for clients. I feel you do the initial set up and instruct the clients on how to update themselves. A monkey can do it and if they can't figure it out or hire someone who can, they shouldn't be in business. FB should be about sharing the knowledge and the excitement of your business with "friends"...You cant pay someone to do that and make it work. Once set up is done, think of yourself as more of a consultant.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-11-2012, 7:28 AM Reply   
Make sure your clients have policies for employees about what they can and can't do with reguards to SM. Make sure that they also monitor the outlets. One disgruntled employee can have a serious negative impact on a business.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-11-2012, 12:00 PM Reply   
Great suggestion paul