Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-09-2007, 7:51 AM Reply   
Well, since I don't even attempt the trick and am out of suggestions, I'm hoping you guys or gals can help her out.

She's been working on it for 2 seasons now and is getting frustrated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Link to vid clip

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/nawresources/?action=view&current=FRAttempt.flv
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-09-2007, 8:17 AM Reply   
I would say she needs to take a little bit harder cut at it and then let off at the end. It looks like she is edging though the wake. It needs to be more of a trip flip. Also have her try to push her chest towards shore and kick her heels back during the landing but this won't help till she gets a little more rotation. I think changing the take off will help a bunch. Also she will want to drop her back hand about 1/2-3/4 way around. maybe have her try to grab the board.

She looks like she can get it soon.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-09-2007, 8:18 AM Reply   
Well, after watching this a few times, I did notice she's initiating the "trip Flip" a little early (but not too bad). Also, Stand a little more tall at the last minute. That always helps me! It allows for my feet to get under me without me having to work to kick them under at the last minute.

Her edge is great and she's taking it W2W, but just stand a little more tall and wait a little longer. It will give her more pop and allow for her that board to get under her by the time she comes around.

Oh wait, I just noticed that the handle was above her waste and she's holding it out a little. My opinion, the handle should be lower and more stuck to her hip, which will speed up the rotation a little as well. When you let the rope out (or keep it out), it will slow the rotation on that trick. and others.......Watch that video again and you can see how she raises the rope up high right when she starts edging back into the wake.. Keep it lower and tight all the way thru

Hope that helps. Good luck

(Message edited by hawaiianstiln on July 09, 2007)
Old     (eliotflydog)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-09-2007, 9:20 AM Reply   
ride al the way up the wake before u start the flip
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-09-2007, 10:24 AM Reply   
Good info guys. I forwarded her the link to this thread...I agree with both the handle position and the approach and release from the wake.

Thanks.
Old    alanp            07-09-2007, 5:33 PM Reply   
i agree with the keith, she needs to pin the handle to the hip. everything else looks good. maybe throw the trick harder. its a pretty intense trick imo
Old     (livigno)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-10-2007, 5:45 AM Reply   
Take a wide approach and cut in agressively. Let off your edge a little bit before you hit the wake. Then you really have to concentrate on getting maximum pop: wait a little longer before you initiate the trick. Ride all the way up the wake. Stand very tall at the very top of the wake. After your lift off, initiate the roll. Be prepared to bend your knees and lean over your toes for the landing. You also might want to let go with your back hand just before you touch down. Keep going at it, sooner or later your efforts will pay off!
Old     (livigno)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-10-2007, 5:58 AM Reply   
Oh, this I forgot: letting off your edge and standing very tall at the very last minute will create a tripping motion, hence the Frontroll is called a trip flip. Once you feel this tripping motion an your take off (it feels pretty cool actually, same as with Tantrums), then you've hit the wake right. The tripping will also help gettingt all the way around as it gives your rotation more initial impulse. And: never hesitate. Either go for it or don't attempt the roll. This way you will avoid bad falls on heavily underrotated rolls.
Old     (trevorcurry)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-10-2007, 11:13 PM Reply   
Dude all I know, is that I want to live on that lake!!!
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-13-2007, 12:23 PM Reply   
I read an tip in an old WBM that always seems to work for me. Most times you fall on this trick you underrotate, land on your heels and fall back towards the wake. Try to overrotate the trick when you throw it so you go out the front if you fall. This will get you over your toes. Though you can overrotate this trick, it's actually fairly hard to do. This mentality might also help get a little bit more up and over pop.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-16-2007, 7:44 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the help guys....Here is some updates.

She's taking what all of you are saying and really trying to make it work. This video is from late last week. She attempted the trick over and over and over for about 30 minutes plus. Nearly the same result everytime.

A few things I'm seeing (feel free to chime in)
-Edge is getting better...aggressive at first and letting off at the end.
-Handle is still too high. She knows it, but can't get it down...are there drills to help this bad habit that she could do?
-Hands on handle, she still isn't letting go with the back hand.

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/nawresources/?action=view&current=ba134939.flv
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-16-2007, 8:05 AM Reply   
Looked to me like she could have edged out a little more to start her edge a lot earlier than the video. Also, I leave the handle out too. However, the only way I was able to get over the same problem as her, is to YANK that handle to her hip as she rides up the wake (before the release.

I got tired of slapping "the boys" and figured I HAD to do something different and this worked for me (yank the handle in).
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-16-2007, 2:23 PM Reply   
tell her not to let off at the end, she's not "tripping" at all. When she lets off she is losing all the line tension to get her to flip over to her toes....
I was landing this trick with a big 'ol butt check for years because I was doing it that way: starting w/ a hard edge and letting off as I neared the wake. It took me sooooo long to correct that habit and made me super frustrated until it finally clicked.

Now I start slow and edge harder as I get close, I do not let off at all. It actually more like a progressive edge where you want to be at the hardest edge at the top of the wake. Now Im on my toes riding away clean every time.

I could be wrong but it has worked for me, so I hope this helps your wife out.
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-18-2007, 9:00 PM Reply   
She needs to come in with a little more speed, but other than that, this trick is 100% in the edge change. Here is a description from a previous post.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3184/458528.html?1181167660