Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (face_smash)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-05-2006, 10:52 AM Reply   
Ok guys have been watching these threads for years about people giving advice when someone is indecisive about two boats and now its my turn! currently own an 04 Malibu VLX and Test drove a 05 X star yesterday (which was amazing and i didnt want to like it) so now i am not sure to go for a brand new 07 VLX or an 05 X star?????????????? I love Malibu and i not sure about turning to the dark side but i think the mastercraft is simply the best!! what do you think???
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       11-05-2006, 11:05 AM Reply   
I think it sounds like you have already answered your own question
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-05-2006, 11:07 AM Reply   
I would go for the 07 vlx because it is a brand new boat. Nothing beats getting a new boat. I am a mastercraft guy all the way but I'd get the vlx as its a great boat and 2 years newer, by the way I love the xstar.
Old     (face_smash)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-05-2006, 11:24 AM Reply   
thats kinda the problem. I think the VLX is the better option but i have always wanted an X star and love it too!! I got to drive for a pro rider behind the xstar also so he showed me the potential behind it!! he was sick!!!! I just wish it was cheaper!!
Old     (truebeachbum)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-05-2006, 11:27 AM Reply   
supra all the way
Old     (face_smash)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-05-2006, 12:05 PM Reply   
There is also loads to consider like depreciation, build quality, just not sure??????!!!!!! as for the supra errrrr i dont need to add a third to my already two complications!!!???? but i will admire yours if i ever see you out there!!
Old     (mhayes)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-05-2006, 12:33 PM Reply   
Buy the X-Star if it's been well cared for....someone else has already taken the heavy first year depreciation hit on it. That is, unless you want to do the same thing on the Malibu. Buying used is the way to go, strickly from a financial perspective. And the fact that you love the X-Star doesn't hurt.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-05-2006, 1:04 PM Reply   
At 25 how does anyone get the $ to buy an X-Star? If money is no object buy the X-Star. If money is really no object buy one of each:-)

(Message edited by Bigshow on November 05, 2006)
Old     (face_smash)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-05-2006, 2:19 PM Reply   
The money thing is a long story but it is certainly an object for me!!!!!!!!!!! thanks for your advice guys
Old     (face_smash)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-05-2006, 2:20 PM Reply   
oh yea and i am 27 not 25
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-05-2006, 2:34 PM Reply   
Danny I have a brand new VLX and love it. You have to think about the maintenance to. The VLX comes with a 300hr warranty. They also hold their value well. MC is also a nice boat but it's 3 yrs old if something goes wrong it's out of your pocket and we all know how expensive that is. Buy a brand new X-star you only live once!
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-05-2006, 2:41 PM Reply   
"I just wish it was cheaper!!"

"money ... is certainly an object for me!!!!!!!!!!! "

ummm, am I missing something? Is your 04 VLX broke?
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-05-2006, 5:52 PM Reply   
One thing to consider is the warranty. If you have the opportunity, read the warranties and compare between the two boats. I think you will find one company stands behind their boats alot better than the other. Also, its gonna cost you several hundred dollars to get the Mastercraft warranty transferred for one season.
Old    DRA            11-05-2006, 6:06 PM Reply   
Sounds like you answered your own question right off the bat. If "YOU" think it is the best then who cares what anyone else thinks get what you feel good about when you go to sleep at night.
Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-05-2006, 6:45 PM Reply   
Words cannot decribe the ride from an X star...it was born to to what it does...even when you drive it..you realize how totally focused this boat is for riding....it is the package....it sounds like it's already in your mindset to go for it!
Old     (hyperlite7572)      Join Date: May 2005       11-05-2006, 6:55 PM Reply   
I would go with the X-Star, not only because it is the better choice, but buying a the NEWEST boat isn't always the smartest choice, because they have the most bugs that haven't been worked out yet. You will end up kicking yourself later for getting a Bu.
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-05-2006, 7:18 PM Reply   
Malibu, Warranty, dealer support 07 vs 05... No brainer!
Old     (ncbschzzt)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-05-2006, 8:15 PM Reply   
New BOAT!!!!!! Be it an new X-Star or a new VLX just go new. You will be much happier as a boat owner.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-05-2006, 8:23 PM Reply   
I think new is the way to go but if you really want an xstar your never gona be satisfied with anything else. Try finding a good deal on a left over 06 xstar
Old     (nautielove)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-05-2006, 8:58 PM Reply   
if the boat is in good shape at a reasonable price and local dealer is good. then xstar all the way baby... it is is a awesome ride !!!!
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-05-2006, 9:40 PM Reply   
How much is the X-Star selling for?
Old     (boardcrazy)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-05-2006, 9:54 PM Reply   
I just bought an 06 X-Star with only 11 hours on it and stole it for $54,500. The seller also threw in about $3,000 in wakeboards, tubes, skis, lifevests and other equipment. I thought it was a deal that I could not pass on.

There was also another 06 X-Star on Ebay last week that went for $56,000 and it only had about 35 hours on it. Both boats were Red/Black. This is the time of year you really find good deals. If you wait too much longer though, people start to get excited and the prices go back up.
Old     (face_smash)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-06-2006, 8:30 AM Reply   
The price is the biggest factor!! The X star is quite a bit more expensive!! Im in england and the mastercraft is £9000 more expensive and has only done 40 hours. Its also off a mastercraft dealer but the BU is brand new and fully loaded???????????????????
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-06-2006, 11:18 AM Reply   
"i have always wanted an X star and love it too!! I got to drive for a pro rider behind the xstar also so he showed me the potential behind it!! he was sick!!!! I just wish it was cheaper!!"

You should know that just cause you get the x-star you aren't going to be a pro rider. I am a pretty solid advanced rider and I know you could put me behind an x-star and you could put a pro behind a aluminum fishing boat and he would still make me look bad. My point is the wake on the VLX is going to be just fine for you. I don't really think you can go wrong with either, just don't fool yourself that it is going to make a difference in your riding.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-06-2006, 11:34 AM Reply   
You might want to check out the 06 & 07 X-2 as long as you are looking....
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-06-2006, 12:31 PM Reply   
Yeah-- what sbt3 said.

If you're not advancing behind your 04 VLX and you think an X-Star will make you better, you're using the wrong criteria to select your boat.

Put that pro rider behind your 04VLX and he'll show you it has just as much potential as the X-Star. He may prefer one or the other, but he won't be much better behind either one. The talent is in the rider, not the boat.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-06-2006, 1:38 PM Reply   
Uhhhh.... Has anyone mentioned the fact that the stock wake behind a new VLX (especially with the bow tank) will slaughter the stock wake behind the X-star. If anyone has ridden those two boats they'll never argue that.

That said... When you dump an X-star you are going to get a great wake. Long transition, very rampy. The Bu will be slightly steeper with a bit more "kick" to it. Both boats are very capable of pro-level wakes.

These are the two boats that we are most seriously considering for next year (or maybe a supra). Price isn't the issue for us as much as preference. With the Bu you flip switches and ride. With the X you flip switches, then move lead around, then fill more sacs, then ride...

Personally for the price difference I'd go Malibu. Just my .02.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-07-2006, 4:49 PM Reply   
X-Star all the way.....when money is no object for me there is no doubt I'll be getting an X-Star.

As far a s the VLX,it's a nice boat but IMO it's not in the same league as the X-Star.(wake and all)
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-07-2006, 5:59 PM Reply   
Big-Ed.. You got the Goggles on again!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Long time no talk my friend.

I personnaly love both boats. I have not ridden in a 2007 yet but the 2006 VLX is my favorite boat . I think it has a much classiers look to it than the X-star and I also like the wake better as well. It has more of a lip to it than the X-star. Dont get me wrong I love the X-star as well but I am not a big fan of the POD Dash look. But I do love the freeboard and comfort of the X-Star.

Bottom line is you can not go wrong with either boat. I am just jealous that you can afford to buy a new VLX!!!!!!!!
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-07-2006, 6:12 PM Reply   
MasterCraft!!!
Old     (river_rat)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-07-2006, 7:18 PM Reply   
new 05vlx or 07 Enzo216 have to pick between these for new boat any suggestions?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-07-2006, 7:20 PM Reply   
Yeah you know me.LOL

Lately I see you've been getting Malibu goggles on and are fitting pretty well.LOL
I would say for a good reason too,Malibus are obviously nice.
Hope all is well with the family.

Danny,storing the boat is also a big thing so make sure you can fit the X-Star.

Bigger boat with a bigger nicer wake!
Old     (face_smash)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-09-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
Hi there guys just wanted to thank everybody for your advice and opinions and i have taken them all on board!! what ever way i go you are all welcome to come over to france and ride with my girlfriend, whenever you want!!!!! (pictures of my home lake at the bottom) I just want to assure some of you guys that, at no point did i ever think that buying an X star would make me a pro rider!! I dont even think i would want to be (I played professional sports for years and its amazing how fast the fun vanishes) i am quite an advanced rider myself and simply was impressed with the skills he demoed!!! SO basically i still dont know what to do but i have to decide pretty soon!!! and i will let you know, thanks again!!
Old     (face_smash)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-09-2006, 9:37 AM Reply   
couldnt get the pictures to upload but look up Lac Annecy or www.lac-annecy.com
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-09-2006, 10:22 AM Reply   
Beautiful area!!!
Old     (ron_starnes)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-09-2006, 10:13 PM Reply   
O.K. I got one for you, buy a 06 Star or 06 Bu. I just bought a new 06 X-Star for a GREAT price!

I got to demo the(my new)star today and loved it! (upgrading from 04 X-30, loved it a lot before today)

Its end of the year and clearence time. Call your local dealers, see what they have left and Demo both!

Big investment ether way.Upload
Old     (ron_starnes)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-09-2006, 11:11 PM Reply   
Just kidding...

I had a hard time trying to re-size my pic

Here you go

Upload
Old     (face_smash)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-09-2006, 11:52 PM Reply   
wow!! Never seen a triple axle trailor for an X star before!!! What is that thing like reversing in a small space????