Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old    premieryder            05-15-2004, 3:26 PM Reply   
whats up guys hope the water is sick where ever ya live! the water here in cali sux so my friends and I wanna make a rail i was curious what we should use on the top to slide and than how to make it supportive so it doesnt move around when we jump to railslide it? any info would be awsome thanx
Old     (mike_schwenne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-18-2004, 3:41 PM Reply   
Hate to break it to you, but unless you're riding the delta in Cali, most water levels drop a foot or so a day. Making it a pain to set up and tear down. plus you have to deal with law enforcment. good luck!
Mike Schwenne
www.westcoastcamps.com
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-19-2004, 1:12 PM Reply   
There are basically four types of "bodies of water" that you would be dealing with:

Natural lake, Reservoir, Tidal and River

A natural lake has rivers/streams flowing into it and generally one river flowing out of it. The water flowing out comes from the top, when the lake overflows. The water level will remain relatively constant because when the water level drops below the rim no more water will flow out! California doesn't have many natural lakes.

A reservoir, on the other hand, empties from the bottom. By design, it will be higher at the end of the rainy season lower at the end of the dry season. The daily change in water level will often be a function of the size of the reservoir and how dry/wet the season is.

Tidal waters, such as the Delta, will vary in water depth twice a day. In the California Delta, you can have a 4 foot drop in water level in 6 hours.

Rivers will change their height based on recent rain and the release rate of any upstream reservoirs. I don't think that there are any un-dammed rivers in California that you could boat on so the water level is based on how much they let out of the reservoir. This tends to be a fairly predictable level, however.

If you build a fixed slider, it will either need to be easily adjusted for water level or only used when the water level is at the desired height. On the delta, this means that a fixed slider can be easy at high tide and really challenging at low tide. On a river it means that you can use it from May to August. On a reservoir it means that you can use it for a few weeks after you built it, and then maybe not again for years.

If you make a rail, by all means make it strong! I watched a guy hit one of the rails on the California Delta and it broke as he rode up the rail! OUCH!

Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-19-2004, 1:19 PM Reply   
www.sliderplans.com