Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-12-2016, 6:19 AM Reply   
Anybody install outdoor security cameras? We live in a nice neighborhood but that doesn't matter these days. And break in are happen all around the area now. We already have a security system but I don't want to pay 1,200$ to have them install cameras. Anybody know of any cheaper option I can do my self.

I'm guessing the cameras are hard wired in, which I don't think will be to big of a problem since I can get to the were I want to put them from the attic.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-12-2016, 6:46 AM Reply   
The Costco Camera Package works pretty well and is super easy to install. I just bought (8) cameras for my new building and tied them into my NAS at my office and ti was super easy. I ran cat 6 cable for each camera and it all tied to my switch. My existing place I have and 18 Camera with DVR an it was very easy to install. I would say heck yea do it yourself.
Old     (Squamer)      Join Date: Oct 2015       01-12-2016, 6:48 AM Reply   
I agree^^^ I set up cameras for my shop. Can monitor anywhere in the world from the app right on my phone. Only thing that it wont do is still work if we lose power for whatever reason. Then again if they are going to cut the power to the building they want to steal whatever I have bad enough.,
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-12-2016, 6:48 AM Reply   
They do make wireless versions to but I have not tried that. I do have wireless alarm sensors for my security system and have no issues with that. Here are a few of the costco systems:

http://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?...6+Surveillance
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-12-2016, 6:55 AM Reply   
Do you have to run power and a Cat 6 cable. I've been looking at the wireless ones and they seem to have nice reviews. I would only need 2 to 4 cameras.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-12-2016, 7:18 AM Reply   
Yeah Costco has a great selection of security camera systems. Starting at $350 you can get this....

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-8-Channe...100161016.html

Running the wires to the cameras is the only hard part. And only you know how hard that will be at your place.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-12-2016, 11:24 AM Reply   
Has anyone done it with wireless cameras. I used to have one in my garage, one in the house and one outside, but they never worked for more than a few weeks in a row. I was always fussing with them. Sure is nice when they work though. I want wireless because I don't want to run cable to each camera, especially since they are in two different buildings and one outside. I'd like to just use the wireless network.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-12-2016, 7:29 PM Reply   
I have one if the Costco 8 camera systems. Think it was about $400 on sale. I really like it. Its a great way to see if anyone or anything was snooping around anytime day or night. Running the cables was really easy.

Around Christmas we found one of our 15 year old cats basically dead in the drive way. We figured he was just old and had him put down. Later that night when checking the camera to see what went on around the house that day I noticed my neighbors German Shepards broke out and came into our yard and attacked the cat. I was so ticked off. The neighbors are totally worthless and we have had run ins with them in the past so I just called the cops rather than taking the law into my own hands. With the video footage it was case closed in a matter of minutes. They knew their dogs had done this and weren't going to say a damn thing. I was really thankful I had the camera system and was able to find out what really happened.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-12-2016, 8:25 PM Reply   
I have installed 2 Lorex security wireless camera systems. Here is the good and bad. The wireless cameras are quick and easy for INDOOR use. Example all install requires is a 110 outlet. But the downside is the IR or night vision is week. Most likely you will need to add a IR flood light if it's real dark in your hood. And the picture quality is NOT as clear as with a Wired camera.

Here is how I see or saw it. If your going to install a camera outdoors you need to run a wire to power it. The wireless cameras need power. The wired cameras need power and signal. If you run or use a Cat 5 you have both (power and Signal) so when I installed my personal system I started out with Wireless cameras. They have worked great. I chose to run Cat 5 to all my cameras to power them Slowly I have been replacing my cameras from wireless to wired because of better night vision (longer distance) so if you do the hard work (running conduit and cat 5) you have options. You can run either cameras. But the advantage go's to a wired camera.

Where wireless cameras work great is indoors. Because most indoor stuff your going to need to see is close distance and running wire inside your house can be harder then running wire around the outside of your house. My vote to to use the wireless cams for all your indoor needs and run wired cameras for your out door use.

Also use domed cameras for out door use. And bullet style cameras for indoor use. Bullet cameras are the style that have a mount that's adjustable. These can easily be hit or moved so the camera is no longer pointed in the right direction. Dome style cameras are much more vandal proof.

Last tip mount your cameras as close to the action as possible. No use having it so far away that all you can make out is a fuzzy image. Most people can get away with a 4 cam system but I would recommend getting a DVR that has room for you to add cameras. Example start out with 4 and see how that serves you and then add cameras as you need them.

Most systems have a HDMI out so you can view your system threw your TV.

Example your watching TV late at night and you hear a bump in the night you can switch the TV input and now you can see all around your house
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-13-2016, 6:54 AM Reply   
Good info Grant like always

So from what I under stand the Cat 5 can power the cameras. Or do I still need to run conduit?

The only problem I would have with running a bunch of cameras with wires is I have more than one attic that aren't connected.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-13-2016, 8:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
So from what I under stand the Cat 5 can power the cameras. Or do I still need to run conduit?
Look for POE (Power Over Ethernet) on the specs. You will need a switch with POE too (or a multiport injector). For multiple attics you could run ethernet over AC power to another part of the house and put a switch there.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-13-2016, 3:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
So from what I under stand the Cat 5 can power the cameras. Or do I still need to run conduit
Conduit is the Round Metal bars that you run wire threw. You would run the Conduit and then pull or Run the wires threw the Condiut. The Conduit works as protection for the Cat 5. Otherwise people can reach up and just cut the cat 5.

If your wire run is real high and up and out of the way you can hide the Cat5 and not run the Condiut. Some people figure if a thief is that determined and is gonna take the time to bring a ladder and climb up real high then let them have at it.

But running conduit up and under your Eves by the under sides of your gutters is easy.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-13-2016, 10:26 PM Reply   
I have setup a Dropcam from Nest at my house which I am very happy with but it is not specifically a security cam.

It cost about $200 with $99 per year for cloud recording. Super easy to setup and operate.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-14-2016, 5:37 AM Reply   
I got mixed up and thought conduit was the power wire you run into the back of an outlet.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-14-2016, 9:33 AM Reply   
Grant - Dont forget to wrap them in some carbon fiber and put LED's on them!!!
Hope your doing well my friend!
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-14-2016, 10:26 AM Reply   
good deal at newegg right now on a 1080p POE NVR with 6 cams for 549 (bare, no drives): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...81183053-S2A2D
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-14-2016, 12:18 PM Reply   
Blair I think your talking about Romex. That's for 110 volts. Most indoor/ outdoor cameras all use 12v I cant find the pic But I had a Screen shot of my System with Wireless cameras VS Wired cameras. You could see the wired cameras were much more sharp and more detailed. Keep in mind if your starting out with a blurry image Its only gonna get worse when you zoom in for more detail. This is another reason it's great to mount the camera close to the action.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-17-2016, 12:25 PM Reply   
I'm actually right in the middle of switching out my wireless cameras for these Dome cams
Attached Images

Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-17-2016, 1:09 PM Reply   
which domes did you go with Grant?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-17-2016, 11:27 PM Reply   
These are the ones I'm using
Attached Images