Wake 101
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-27-2008, 9:31 AM Reply   
I've got a 2003 Moomba Outback LS, new to me this year. It has a factory hard ballast tank under the rear seat that is not hooked up yet. I understand the basic principle of it, but I really need to know:

a) what parts I need to buy. I went to my local west marine and they guys were clueless on what pumps are used
b) a 'map' of intake and drain. It's only going to one single tank.

Is there a 'master thread' that explains this?I've tried searching the forums, but can't really find what I need. I'm sure its on here somewhere so if someone would rather link me to it than reply that's cool...
Old     (bsebllhglyknit)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-27-2008, 9:38 AM Reply

there are several pumps people use. one of the more expensive pumps is the Jabsco Ballast puppy. Im sure others will chime in but the article pretty much explains most of it
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-27-2008, 10:28 AM Reply   
dont know much about skier's choice systems, but this may help some:
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-27-2008, 10:37 AM Reply   
Do you have an intake thru-hull, intake line, or ballast pump hooked up currently? I understand you have hard tank but are there lines currently running to it for intake or drain? Are both intake and drain on the same line? Do you have an electrical fill/drain switches on your current ballast system. A lot more info is required to help you out.
Old     (chadgreg)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-27-2008, 10:53 AM Reply   
I just installed my own system from scratch in my 05 outback LSV. It cost me just under $1,000 and I did everything myself. I searched all the forums on WW and the Moomba chatboard and I built my own system. I used all fly high sacs and attwood tsunami pumps. My system is full automatic and quite a bit of time to build.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       05-27-2008, 10:56 AM Reply   
Simer pumps are not ingnition protected, but you may be able to use them depending on location.
Here's the thread of my install.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-27-2008, 11:03 AM Reply   
No, I have nothing hooked up right now. There is no factory ballast at all, just a factory tank. Apparently the ballast system was an option but all boats of this model came with the plastic tank because that is what the rear seat rests on.

So basically I'm starting with cutting a hole for the intake and going from there. The tank has two holes on the top and one on the bottom.
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-27-2008, 11:29 AM Reply   
I used Jabsco Ballast Puppies since I can fill and drain from the same line. I would then put a vent line in as well. The Ballast
Puppies come with the applicable fill/drain switches so you just need to buy some 10 gauge wire as well. How many sacs/ballast tanks do you want to fill? I have 4 sacs so I went with 2 pumps and I can fill/drain in about 7 minutes. I used 3/4" thru holes for each pump with ball valves after the intake for a quick shut off capability. Pretty easy project. Make sure you run the hole saw drill bit in reverese first to score the gel coat and use a removeable marine sealer so you can make changes moving forward. Paul's link above helped me a lot and the total project cost me around $650 but I did get the pumps for cheap off of eBay.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-27-2008, 12:17 PM Reply   
Stuey, that's a DD isn't it ?
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-27-2008, 1:04 PM Reply   
Yes, its a DD.

Chris.. I've seen those Ballast Puppys online here. Looks like thats the easiest system to install. So I'm going to sound like a newb here, but you can have a thru hull under the boat for intake, it goes through the pump, into the tank, then it reverses for drain and can empty out the same thru hull under the water line? THen just add a vent port by the rub rail and I'm good? Seems prety simple then.

I'm only planning on doing the one tank, but I have a locker sac I fill manually also.
Old    K.B.C.            05-27-2008, 1:34 PM Reply   
^^^yes, you you are correct. that is my basic setup and it works great. technically you are supposed to have a manual shut off valve on the thru hull to be coast guard compliant
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-27-2008, 2:16 PM Reply Pumps&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisp layLevel1&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=11&subdeptNum= 232&classNum=234 Pumps&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisp layLevel1&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=11&subdeptNum= 232&classNum=234

Are these what I'm looking for? The reversable ones? Is there anywhere else online thats good to get these from? Thanks..
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-27-2008, 2:22 PM Reply   
earlier in the year I plumbed in front and rear ballast bags in my 91 Supra DD. I used 2 reversible simer pumps from BeAtlas and 2 MasterCraft ballast switches. I tapped into my water intake and ran thru-hulls for the vent lines it was cake if you need any help or advice feel free pm me
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-27-2008, 6:08 PM Reply   
Stuey - They are reversable pumps so you fill and drain thru the same line and thru hull. Also great in that they are under the boat so you can fill or drain while riding or sitting in the boat waiting for the trailer to come down to load up. The vent line will just help you understand when the tank is full. I would use a common hose splitter found at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. with the integrated ball valves to run a line to your second locker sac as well so everything is automatted. Here are some pics of my system.

Ballast Puppy pump w/ hose splittler for intregrated bow sac and locker sac fill/drain lines.

Thru hull with ball valve shutoff. Second line shown goes under floor and over the gas tank to the locker sac

Fill/Drain Switches that come with Ballast Puppy pumps

Thru Hull from bottom of hull using 3M Removeable Marine Sealent
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-27-2008, 6:30 PM Reply   
These are the Jabsco Ballast Puppy Pumps I used.

I found a kit on Ebay that someone put together with the tubing, splitters, clamps, etc. along with the pumps and I think I paid $185 per side and it included pretty much everything I needed except for the thru hull and ball valves and Sealent.

Search for this part # on google under Jabsco and you can probably find a better deal. Then just take it to West Marine and have them sell you them for the same price due to the price guarantee.

Model Number: 18220-1127
Manufacturer: Jabsco Pumps

These are ignition protected so they can be mounted near your engine without worry of blowing yourself up like the Simer pumps which work just as well but you need to mount them away from an gas fumes.

$209 - simple Google search -|51|299222|839848&id=839452\

Good luck and pm me with any questions
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-28-2008, 6:42 PM Reply   
Thanks to everyone for the help and links... especially you Chris, those pictures really helped. I went from little knowledge to full confidence that I can get this done now. I looked around google also, and it seems has the best price for that pump. I'm also going to link it to my locker sac and have that auto as well, doesn't seem like much more work at all except for an additional thru hull for the vent.

Parts are already ordered up, need to get this done! Thanks WW for all the help.
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-29-2008, 9:25 AM Reply   
Stuey - you might be able to T off an existing vent line like your bilge line or cooler drain so you don't have to drill a new hole. Basically you would just need a T bracket and a check valve and you should be good. This will save you some time and probably money as well.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-29-2008, 5:30 PM Reply   
Chris... there's only one line for the bilge, and its up around where the windshield is. I was going to tap off that for the locker sac vent, but wouldn't that be too far away for the rear seat tank? I thought it had to be somewhat close?


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:54 PM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home


© 2019 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us