Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-20-2008, 2:42 PM Reply   
Upload

Limited Edition 2008 BYROM “PRO” MODEL WAKE HELMET

Made by Byrom for Byrom
Byrom Design
Graphics by Byrom

Byrom wanted a helmet specifically designed for impacts on the surface of water*. A thinner and softer shelled helmet than conventional helmets was designed to fit his desirers. The core is constructed from layered, multi stranded duck tape. Duck tape was used for an economical and waterproof design. Why do you think they call it “duck” tape? The cotton fibers and adhesive within each layer of duck tape give the helmet its “soft” quality while providing needed durability and strength. Each layer of tape was individually laid to take shape of Byrom’s head, providing a perfect, snug fit. The custom fit eliminates open lips that could potentially catch the surface of the water, causing drag. Multiple holes in the helmet allow ventilation and water drainage. Padded Flaps extend over the ears, protecting the eardrums. Holes are strategically placed in each flap to aid in hearing and to further protect the eardrums from temporal hitting crashes. A brim shields the eyes from the blinding summer sun, but is short and flexible enough that it should not catch the water and cause too much drag. Padding made from economical conduit (pipe insulation), inlays the interior contours of the helmet for added comfort. The entire surface of the helmet is covered with a thin layer of red colored plasti-dip to create an even more fluid and waterproof shell and to enhance visibility for safety. Art and graphics were designed by Byrom himself to reflect his pride and interests in Chinese and are sealed in a layer of shiny varnish.

Upload*This design has not been laboratory proven to aid in water-specific impacts. This helmet is not recommended for sliders or other solid obstacles. This design is also not available in stores.

Upload

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

My wife said i had to post this on Wake World when she saw me making it. I was hesitant at first, knowing that i will most likely get some laughs, but it is a pretty good helmet for DUCK TAPE and for a first attempt. you gotta admit that. feel free to laugh though. I'l get to be one of the few riders in the world with my own "PRO" model wake helmet. YES!!!!!!!!!!!! do!

now that i look at the pics i was wearing the helmet a little off balance. it does fit me a bit better than that. hehehe.

ok..................., i am ready for comments and laughs
Old     (cwbx993)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-20-2008, 2:45 PM Reply   
dude where can i get one
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-20-2008, 2:48 PM Reply   
Do they come in orange...that way it will match my vest.

You are a braver sole than I to listen to your wife on this one.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-20-2008, 3:05 PM Reply   
Dude, who's idea was it to put tape on ducks? what were they taped to?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-20-2008, 3:15 PM Reply   
Bahahahahahahahahahahaah
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-20-2008, 3:19 PM Reply   
Is the number on the back a custom option, or does it come standard?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-20-2008, 3:32 PM Reply   
the first duck tape was indeed DUCK tape and not duct tape. made for the war to waterproof amunition boxes and do all the other things duck tape can do. there is nothing duck tape cant do... even taping ducks together... though i have never tried.

All and all i spent about $14 making the helmet. the only things i had to buy was the plasti-dip and the paint thinner so i could paint the inside with the gunk better.

if anyone was to to something remotely similar, i would suggest getting the spray-on form of plasti-dip. unless you are skilled painter
http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip
its the same plastic/rubber (plastisol) that coats tool handles, like pliers
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-20-2008, 3:36 PM Reply   
the number is custom.
...i don't think there is anyone that could seriously say they want me to make them one too. and if so, i would need his/her head in front of me to make one... and some reimbur$ement

ohh and the skull is foam, cut in the shape of a skull, colored with white-out and a sharpie.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-20-2008, 4:20 PM Reply   
The left side of the helmet says "hua shui ban" which is my way of translating "wakeboarding" (i have seen it translated on a hong kong wake site, but it was a long translation and i didn't like it. all my chinese friends like the translation that i made up anyway)

The right side is my chinese name "bai yi yu" which roughly means "white" (last name) "fly in/ represent" "universe" ... so i guess for wakeboarding, one could say i "fly in the universe"

The top of the helmet is "zheng" which means "righteous" or "correct"

(Message edited by wakerider111 on April 20, 2008)
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-20-2008, 4:23 PM Reply   
Did you get that off a Kamikaze pilot??
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-20-2008, 5:02 PM Reply   
some more before pics
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-20-2008, 5:25 PM Reply   
.........Lol oh man Jeremy!......well its a start! now make a spine from front to back with a foam noodle cut to specifications....and have part of it coming right down to your eye brows.
Old     (veritas)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-20-2008, 7:47 PM Reply   
Oh man...Jeremy, you're my hero!

Is that thing even gonna stand up to one impact?
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-20-2008, 8:33 PM Reply   
Nah dude I was joking.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-20-2008, 10:15 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88UwMneE644

Here is a video my wife took. She kinda snuck up on me while i was in my early stage of construction.
it is a little lengthy, but its kinda funny, especially at the end when my wife comments about her "dorky husband and his crazy ideas...but i love this dork" That's why i love her so much, she accepts me and loves me despite my eccentric personality. ;)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-20-2008, 10:19 PM Reply   
the grey duct tape one makes me think of
if the "300" spartans all rode the short bus.

i mean that in a nice work, it looks well made... let me know if it helps any.....
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-20-2008, 10:31 PM Reply   
hopefully i will get some pics of me actually using it sometime in May. I got one more final, then i got to pack and move the fam.
Old     (veritas)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-21-2008, 6:43 AM Reply   
lol I can't wait to hear about the first major impact jeremy
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-21-2008, 8:36 AM Reply   
Did you make an athletic cup to go with?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-21-2008, 8:59 AM Reply   
no

i wear a pair of biker shorts uder my board shorts for that