Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-11-2006, 6:58 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-11-2006, 7:06 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-11-2006, 7:16 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Zane Schwenk was also at the event to help promote and encourage the riders.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-11-2006, 7:30 AM Reply   
Zane even took to the cold water putting on a little show for the crowd at intermission.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-11-2006, 7:40 AM Reply   
Local kid Ryan Link who placed in the top 3 in the advanced class.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-11-2006, 8:15 AM Reply   
Looks like a great time, but is it right to call it a "Polar bear tournament" in florida???

Looks like summer in NJ to me :-)
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       12-11-2006, 8:25 AM Reply   
yeah really, how can that be called polar bear? That just doesn't work when you see people in shorts or trunkin it. There's still green on the land, when it's white and there's danger of ice chunks gashing the boat, it's a polar bear tournament!

thanks for the picks though
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-11-2006, 8:48 AM Reply   
was that zane riding?

did he ride in the comp aswell or just do a demo?
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-11-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
Yea Zane just did a demo.. Sorry I could'nt get more action pic's but the way they were running was hard. It was just a nice event to have at the end of the year for some local riders as well as some younger sponsored riders. Kind of an oxymoron Polar Bear Tournament in Florida but it was a little chilly.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-11-2006, 9:18 AM Reply   
haha Polar Bear tournament in FL ! ..a little over stated for sure :-)

maybe call it an "end of year and we are spoiled enough to call it Cold in FL Polar Bear tourney"
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-11-2006, 11:02 AM Reply   
Looks like a lot of fun! Living in a warm climate state, Az, I can attest to how cold I think the waters are here in the winter. I drysuit it from Novemeber to March. A guy from NJ came out in early March one year and thought we were pretty silly for using the drysuit.

Thanks for sharing the pictures!
Old    00wakesetter            12-11-2006, 2:43 PM Reply   
Do i see "the sleeper" In couple of those pics?
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-11-2006, 4:10 PM Reply   
MAn I heard about that at the last minute... where was this advertised??.... How was it.... a lot of people????

I would have loved to go but just found out a bit too late....

CHRIS
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-11-2006, 8:04 PM Reply   
The polar bear tournament was awesome.
Bay Area Watersports hosting the tournament at their dealership location was awesome with excellent water conditions and a loaded down xstar made the event very exciting and fun. everything was very well run and it made for an enjoyable day. and im definately looking forward to next years polar bear tourney

oh yeah im riding in the 7th picture from the top finishing my first run
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-12-2006, 12:52 AM Reply   
I dunno...the guy in the full suit makes it look mighty cold...
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-12-2006, 6:08 AM Reply   
it was actually very cold compared to recent weather here lately. most riders had full wetsuits and a few had spring suits and there were a few brave people wearing no wetsuit at all.

in the morning it was very chilly with temps in the 50's but as the day went on the sun warmed everything up
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-12-2006, 6:19 AM Reply   
People don't realize that the very element that makes it hot in Florida also makes it very cold seemingly. Humidity, moisture in the air makes it feel colder than it really is. I have some friends from Jersey and they can't figure out why it seem's so cold at times.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       12-12-2006, 6:36 AM Reply   
I'm not doubting that it was chilly there, just that it was called a polar bear tournament and I saw no polar bears nor scenes like the picture below

Upload
Old     (zaneschwenk)      Join Date: Apr 2004       12-12-2006, 6:50 AM Reply   
I'd have to agree, but being born in FL 50's is very cold to me!!! Name aside it was a great time and fun to get so many people riding in what we call "winter" here in FL....some great riding too from Ryan, Louis and Chris as well! The girls were truly tough though, I think the majority of them wore boardies and vests....no full suits and they didn't complain once!!

Zane
Old     (cwb_fooguitarlz)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-12-2006, 7:10 AM Reply   
no way, are you actually THE Zane Schwenk? it cant be true. theres no way. you're my favorite rider. haha

(Message edited by cwb_fooguitarlz on December 12, 2006)
Old    gatorbait            12-12-2006, 7:57 AM Reply   
I was the driver for the contest and it was awesome. Bay Area Watersports was so cool to let us do this contest at their site and the Mastercraft X-Star had a sick wake.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-12-2006, 8:05 AM Reply   
Actually I just realized the pic's I put up as Ryan Link are Louis Link, Ryan is his brother who did'nt compete and I got them mixed up. Sorry about that.
Old     (lolwake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-12-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
Yep! ...the name was more of mind setter :-)

...it's kind of funny how mother nature played a part though. A cold snap during the practice runs on Friday afternoon and then Sat. morning was a brisk 50 at first pull! By the time finals rolled around it was near 70 deg and the water was still warmer then the air! That's Florida weather for ya...all in all the event was a great way to end the 06 season!

On behalf of the entire Land o Lakes Butter Effect Wake Team and the folks that pulled of this first time event, thanks for your support and be sure to keep and eye out for this is only the beginning...

Keep up to date here...www.lolwake.com
Old     (zaneschwenk)      Join Date: Apr 2004       12-12-2006, 11:59 AM Reply   
Thanks again Marcos for driving all day you are the man...if you are in Miami you should check out his camp.....any way it was cold...real cold for FL people, but it was fun!!
Old    innov8actionsports.com            12-12-2006, 12:04 PM Reply   
What up Insane Zane, hope all is well!!
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-12-2006, 12:41 PM Reply   
Holy Crap!!!!
Old     (zaneschwenk)      Join Date: Apr 2004       12-12-2006, 1:15 PM Reply   
Things are good Jeff...thanks....been riding a bunch, traveling, etc.....good stuff lately man. Billy (woreout) cracks me up!
Old    wakeboardman123            12-12-2006, 2:27 PM Reply   
Zane! hows it going man? I finally got my groove down behind the boat. I am startin to stop it again.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       12-13-2006, 7:31 AM Reply   
I really think that most of us who make fun of you guys for saying it is cold is simply because we can't ride all winter. :-(

Our lake is now frozen, it's a warm week and if it thaws I still won't ride, I'd like to but it's just too much work to get the boat back in for 1 or 2 sets.

Can't wait for spring!
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-13-2006, 8:48 AM Reply   
Time for a road trip...
Old     (wakeboarddad01)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-13-2006, 5:42 PM Reply   
Here's some pics of the girls and women podium winners and also a group pic of all podium finishers.... Great time and Great people... Props to all the sponsors you did a great job....Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (lolwake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-13-2006, 6:38 PM Reply   
More Pics Here

http://www.ourtownfla.com/S_Sponsors_Adverting__Banners/Bay_Area_Water_Sports/Bay_Area_Water_Sports.htm
Old     (marvin)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-13-2006, 7:16 PM Reply   
You know it is what your body is used to, 50 for those fine folks is cold, and rightfully so. Zane told me at the PWT stop in Acworth that if it got down to the mid 60s he was looking for a sweat shirt. I totally understood him when he said that. I know I don't have to deal with as cold of water as some of you guys but cold is still cold. It is all in what weather you are used to riding in . I think you NJ riders are tougher than this Tennessee hillbilly when it comes to the "cold" stuff.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-14-2006, 6:52 AM Reply   
Well Said!
Old     (lolwake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-14-2006, 2:21 PM Reply   
...ok here some more awsome pics curtesy of Ronnie Monk at FL Wake Magazine!

...please check the Film Loop on www.lolwake.com

...and be sure to check www.lolwake.com for more on the Film Loop!
Old     (lolwake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-14-2006, 2:26 PM Reply   
...oh and here are some of the pics...Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (macrogpx2)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-14-2006, 6:40 PM Reply   
Duffy, sweet pics man. I was curious where did you get that Mastercraft sticker on the front of that X-Star, i would be interested in putting something like that on my boat since it has no graphic ciurrently.
Old     (lolwake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-14-2006, 8:04 PM Reply   
...ok so here's how it went down...

- Friday -
Friday night was open for the first 25 riders to practice behind the 2007 Mastercraft X-Star tow boat. Friday evening also played host to a "Social" bon fire and free hot dogs and sodas. Topping off the Friday festivities was the midnight madness sale (20% off) in the Bay Area Water Sports Pro-Shop!

- Saturday -
Saturday morning started out awesome with a beautiful sunrise with temperatures in the upper 40's and a calm butter effect across the Bell Lake to kick things off. 9:01am sharp the 2007 Mastercraft X-Star tow boat was weighted down and setting up to pull the first rider of the day! After every rider got the chance to break the ice in each of the 5 divisions including 2 female divisions. At high noon we broke for an intermission showcasing the likes of Jeff House and Zane Schwenk (Mastercraft & CWB Factory Riders). Saturday afternoon launched the top 3 of each division for a ride off with the Outlaw division opting for a Double Up! When the rollers stopped crashing the shore we had some pretty stoked podium finishes from some talented young wakeboarders!

Rounding out the weekend was the abundance off freebies from all of our outstanding sponsors! Including Skate decks and gift certificates to apparel and stickers!

The support and response has been overwhelming...so keep your eyes out for the next big event starting early next spring!!!
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-15-2006, 5:06 AM Reply   
Hey Marco that's not my MC but I can find out for you about the sticker.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-15-2006, 6:53 AM Reply   
You can get the sticker from your local MC dealer. It started out on the PWT towboat this year. Now they made it available to the public, a buddy of mine has it on his yellow F350 and it looks awesome.
Old     (macrogpx2)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-15-2006, 11:01 AM Reply   
Thanks guys for the info. I will look into it.
Old     (mctc)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-15-2006, 12:25 PM Reply   
Did Liquid Sports Marine sponsor this as well? I saw their name on the back of the XSTAR in the podium pics.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-15-2006, 3:03 PM Reply   
Where is Land O Lakes Florida, if I had heard anything about it I would of gone.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-15-2006, 4:43 PM Reply   
It's just north of Tampa, about 20 miles. I had no clue this tourney was going on, but I was out of town anyway.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-16-2006, 7:24 AM Reply   
I will try to put some posts out on here from now on about any tournaments going on. I just didnt realize the response from people being this is a predominately west coast site. I would love to get some CFR's together and have some tournaments or even just some free ride event's. Anything to promote our sport is a good thing.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-16-2006, 7:26 AM Reply   
I think there is plans for more tourneys, from what they said in few posts earlier.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-16-2006, 10:17 AM Reply   
Its nice to see Zane giving his .02 on this thread. I wish more Pros would do the same.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-19-2006, 1:51 PM Reply   
Whens the next one?
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-19-2006, 3:59 PM Reply   
idk, hopefully not to far out. it was a really fun event
Old     (lolwake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-20-2006, 7:32 AM Reply   
...March 23rd & 24th 2007!

..also keep checking for info on a "Point Break" wakesurfing clinc/ride day/sick trick contest the first weekend of march as well!

...and if that's not enough we are checking into a rail jam as well!

That's all the inside I'll give for now...
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-20-2006, 7:54 AM Reply   
Where's the one on the 23rd and 24th going to be held?
Old     (lolwake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-20-2006, 1:42 PM Reply   
Thanks for the inquiry.
The Tournament will once again be held at Bay Area WaterSports in Land o Lakes. Bay Area WaterSports is the LOCAL MasterCraft dealer located on Bell Lake. Look for a similar format to the first tournament. WHAT AN EVENT

Local coverage at

www.bayareawatersports.com
www.lolwake.com
www.landolakesfla.com and of course
here on wakeworld

Merry Christmas...sign up early
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-20-2006, 1:55 PM Reply   
a rail jam would be so sick as well. sign me up:-)
Old     (lolwake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-21-2006, 11:15 AM Reply   
>Results
>
>Novice
>1) Morgan Pederson
>2) James Beyer
>3) Tommy Strickland
>
>Girls
>1) Melanie Chojnacki
>2) Julia Smith
>3) Caitlyn Campbell
>
>Women
>1) Victoria Kulp
>2) Kayla Chojnacki
>3) Morgan Crescent
>
>Intermediate
>1) Billy Ely
>2) Daniel Perrone
>3) Zach Mason
>
>Advanced/Outlaw
>1) Chris Harvey
>2) Lewin Link
>3) Chris Perrone

>
>
>
>Ronnie Monk
>Publisher/FL Wake Magazine
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-21-2006, 5:25 PM Reply   
count me in for anything..... DEFF A RAIL JAME.... THAT WOULD BE SICK!!!