Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-10-2009, 6:56 AM Reply   
So, I recently broke my board and just shipped it off to get warrantied. My friend ussually leaves his board in my boat and he has let me ride it before. So yesterday I decided to go to the lake with just me and my gf. I rode his board, 2007 liquid force trip. I was taking the last set of the day and just did a hs 180 and when I landed I felt a lot of extra drag, I looked down and the bottom was peeling off of his board. A whole strip of board about 3 inches wide came off from the nose of the board to the tail. I've looked online and I can't seem to find a 2007 trip to buy, and I want to make this right. Any suggestions on what I should do?
Old     (whiskeytown)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-10-2009, 7:00 AM Reply   
08 trip?
Old     (eyekahn)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-10-2009, 7:12 AM Reply   
What size? Aussie Island has a few trip's from 08 in stock. 910-256-5454.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-10-2009, 8:32 AM Reply   
ebay??
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-10-2009, 8:41 AM Reply   
Duct Tape???
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-10-2009, 8:50 AM Reply   
Better yet, talk with you friend and tell him what happened and you want to make it good. Now might be the time he either changes the style of board that he uses or he sticks with the same board he has. IMO, let him decided. $.02
Old    justinh            06-10-2009, 9:12 AM Reply   
Boards break.

It is that simple. A few years ago, A friend loaned me his board for the day and I broke it first hit off the wake. I didn't misuse it/come up short on a rail/run-over it with a car or boat. He was cool with it. If your buddy had been riding it he would have probably broke it too.

Call LF they may help you out on a warranty even though it is past due.--several boards had that same problem.

A simple sorry bro should do.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-10-2009, 9:23 AM Reply   
I half way agree with above. Although, only if my buddy was on the boat when it broke. Otherwise, I break it I replace it.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-10-2009, 9:36 AM Reply   
hmmmmm. this is exactly why i dont share.

The House has a bunch this they are all 08's but purdy cheap.
http://search.the-house.com/?keywords=trip
Old     (broncofan)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-10-2009, 10:18 AM Reply   
You replace it for sure. If you don't you might lose a friend.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-10-2009, 11:04 AM Reply   
I like the idea of letting him call it. Hey may want to try a different shape.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-10-2009, 11:12 AM Reply   
Call and tell him you want to make it right. Based on your post it doesn't seem you are completely or mostly culpable and if I were in your friends shoes, I probably wouldn't expect a new deck at your expense. Maybe a heads up next time you borrowed one.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-10-2009, 12:15 PM Reply   
Just put the board back where you got it and play dumb.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-10-2009, 12:21 PM Reply   
He did know that I was riding his board. Not like I did it without him asking. I'm gonna call him right now, then get in touch with liquid force.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-10-2009, 12:23 PM Reply   
There is an 08 Trip in the outlet at evogear.com (which is a pretty good site) for $149. I'd give hime the option between me buying that for him, or give him $149 so he could buy whatever board he wants. If he is a good friend $149 shouldn't bother you too much, and if he is a really good friend (and he is always on yor boat), he probably won't be worried about the money or the board anyway.
Old     (ryker1)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-10-2009, 3:01 PM Reply   
The default approach, the one you are taking, is the right one IMO. Close friends may come to a different solution but otherwise anytime you use someone else's property I don't think it matters what breaks you are responsible to return it to working condition.

So a brand new 09 board wouldn't be right but blowing it off as an older board isn't right either. I think PLR has a great idea, give him the money it costs to replace his style board and let him decide on whether to upgrade or not.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       06-10-2009, 3:12 PM Reply   
I like the fact that you didn't even include not replacing it as an option. You're a good friend. Yes, it's bad luck and may have happened if he had been riding it as well, but that's the risk you take when you borrow equipment. You might not need to get him a brand new one, but you should definitely replace it with something he'll be happy with.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-10-2009, 3:55 PM Reply   
Is he the kind of friend who pitches for gas or helps out when boat breaks or needs work?If so hook him up.If hes the kind of guy just shows up rides throws in $5 for gas never helps clean or never takes you on his boat.Tell him sorry it broke and he needed a new board anyway.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       06-10-2009, 8:00 PM Reply   
Tell him and ask him what kind of board he would like to have to replace his Trip. Give him the option, this is what I would do.
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-10-2009, 8:34 PM Reply   
Always bring any borrowed equipment back in like shape/condition (or better if possible). You could have rented a board for the day if it was really that inmportant for you to ride... you rent for $25 and give it back.

Find a replacement on Ebay or the Net and you do all the work, not him. This is a responsibility factor. You are responsible for the board that you borrowed. Do the right thing and offer to get him a replacement board or money. You take the old board and see if you can get it warranteed. If you do get it warranteed you both come out winners.

I have this board and it is a slick clean board, I would be pretty upset if any of my friends borrowed it and it came back damaged.

(Message edited by biz on June 10, 2009)
Old     (jacob23)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-10-2009, 9:53 PM Reply   
I'll tell you right now if my friend broke my board after i lent it to him he would be going halfs with me for a new board of my pick but probably the same one. if was a friend that was a girl that broke it i wouldn't make her pay because i couldn't do that to a girl
Old     (hypripper)      Join Date: May 2002       06-10-2009, 11:08 PM Reply   
If one of my friends broke my board, I wouldn't accept any money from them. If the board is ready to go then it will, But you should offer to pay for it just because its the thing to do and he might kick your ass.

(Message edited by hypripper on June 10, 2009)
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-11-2009, 5:25 AM Reply   
Brandon, I want to congratulate you on wanting to do the right thing. Tell him what happened and that you haven't been able to find an '07 and see what he wants to do from there. I always tell my son "if you can't afford to replace/fix it, then don't borrow it". Glad to see you wanting to make it right.