Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       06-14-2003, 9:42 PM Reply   
Shaun just called while enroute to Salt Lake City – here’s what he said:
“Well, we had a great stop for the Back Yard Tour in Phoenix for the past 2 days. Water was great, riders were great and the location was perfect…… that is until we left. We were taking one last set at Two Cow Cove on Lake Pleasant. My boat was towed to the top of the hill while we took that one last set. After we hooked up, I was pulling the boat when I noticed something was missing. Someone took out of my boat (while it was parked at the top of the hill) my board bag with my new shaped board (directional)(with last years 36 graphics -–red piano player)” I believe he said that a new Grubb Wake skate and a DNA blank plus boots were also in the bag. These should be easy to spot because this is a one-of-a-kind board – -(the 36 directional)(totally new shape and old graphic) – Now of course we would like to think this was somehow taken by mistake....
If you have any information, please contact me(Lloyd Murray) on my cell phone (407) 230-5191.
Old    steveaz            06-14-2003, 9:52 PM Reply   
Lloyd, isn't that the one that had the 2 outer removable fins and 2 molded inner fins? If so, I thought that might also help somebody recognize it. Sorry to hear that, kind of puts a damper on things.

Steve

PS, we'll keep an eye out for it and spread the word.

(Message edited by steveaz on June 14, 2003)
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       06-15-2003, 10:36 AM Reply   
More details from Shaun -
First - it's not a "directional" board it's "asymmetrical" (my mistake)
the 136 has two moulded fins on the outside and 2 removeable on the inside. The other end is exactly opposite - 2 removables outside and mouldeds on the inside. - again - it has the 2003 red piano player graphics.

The Grubb wakeskate was brand new - never used.
The bag was a black Hyperlite board bag -
The DNA had the 2003 blue graphics and SHaun's stickers - spider marks on bottom.
There was also a pair of Vans shoes and a Pro Tour riders bib
I think there may have been a BackYard Tour sticker on the DNA which will be a dead giveaway since no one else would have that.

He also said he was sure it wasn't one of the riders out for the BYT stop - there were apparently a lot of people camping around where he left the boat.

THanks for any help
Lloyd
Old    gunther            06-15-2003, 1:30 PM Reply   
I always thought you guys got that stuff for free?
Old    tombugg            06-15-2003, 2:20 PM Reply   
Gunther, That is a remarkebly stupid comment!

Lloyd, I will do all I can to find out who did this. I will start by e-mailing this thread to our list of over 400 member's in AZ. I would really like to think that it would not be any one on that list, but it will be 400 people in AZ looking for this stuff. That should make it pretty difficult for someone to enjoy or sell the stuff. I would recommend you keep on eye on ebay. I can't tell you how disgusted I am to hear this. I thouroughly enjoyed the time spent with your whole crew this weekend.

Hope we can return it,

Tom Bugg
The AWA
http://www.azwakeboardassoc.com
Old    dwe            06-15-2003, 2:21 PM Reply   
Gunther,

What's your point??? It's OK to steal someone else's property if they did not pay for it?
Old     (bobbyb)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-15-2003, 3:44 PM Reply   
I am sorry to hear this. And i cant believe that somebody would do this.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-15-2003, 3:46 PM Reply   
That really sucks....is this the board that is missing....these pics are from the Dallas BYT.

Old    gunther            06-15-2003, 4:07 PM Reply   
Hope you find your stuff Lloyd
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-15-2003, 4:35 PM Reply   
I have to side with Gunter on this one, I don't think it was a "Stupid" post. It is true, most athletes that are supported by a company get free items and supplies from that company (Has Jordon ever actually bought a pair of Nikes...I think not) Please think before you flame someone else.

On another note, this is such BS that someone stole his board; bought or not. Waterski Dallas here had 40K worth of boards and items this last week.
Old    wakelvr            06-15-2003, 5:01 PM Reply   
Lloyd, I've sent an email off to some of my delta friends and have asked them to help get the message out there... I really hope we can find out who do this.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-15-2003, 5:25 PM Reply   
The punks that stole Shaun's boards probably have no idea that hundreds of people will be on the lookout for the boards. Through sites like WakeWorld and Wakeboarder and other wakeboarders getting the word out hopefully everything will be found.
Old    gunther            06-15-2003, 5:26 PM Reply   
Hey, thanks rich for speak'n up. It's good to see that there are some guys, that don't just come on this site to rag on people that say something they think is stupid. I'm here for the wakeboarding not to make fun of people. It seems you are too. Thanks man.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-15-2003, 5:31 PM Reply   
PS: Lloyd, tell your son we loved the NKOTB towel. hehehe, some people appreciate the finer music in life!!
Old    swass            06-15-2003, 7:43 PM Reply   
Nobody's making fun of you Gunther, but you seem to be missing the point: stealing is stealing, regardless of how much the item cost the victim.
Old    shikafly            06-15-2003, 9:11 PM Reply   
I am sorry that I missed the BYT stop in Phoenix this weekend, but even sorrier that some idiot had to ruin the good name of Arizonans by stealing from someone who is out there promoting wakeboarding.

Like swass said, Gunther and Rich, stealing is stealing. And whether Shaun paid money for those items or not, HE HAS EARNED THEM just as much as Jordan has earned his free Nikes.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-15-2003, 9:21 PM Reply   
NO!! the point was that he never said that "who cares he didn't pay for it anyway" He asked a rhetorical question not ment to be flamed. Maybe a simple post fom Swass or Tom like, "sure he didn't pay for it but it was his favorite" or "Shaun worked all summer mowing lawns for that board and he doesn't deserve to have it stolen; no one deserves to be stole from"

plain and simple calling him stupid was wrong.
No one deservesed to be flamed. We are all friends here.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-15-2003, 9:56 PM Reply   
Rich, I don't agree that it was a rhetorical question. The question implies that it doesn't or shouldn't matter that the boards were stolen because Shaun will get them replaced for free. And obviously whether Shaun gets the boards for free or not isn't the issue. No matter what, it sucks that someone stole them. And even worse (in my opinion) since Shaun is out there promoting the sport on his own time. I also don't think he got flamed (unless some posts were deleted), someone said the post was stupid not Gunther.
Old    malibuman22            06-15-2003, 10:55 PM Reply   
I agree, it may be a stupid question but it is a valid question. No one deserves flaming. Share the stoke

Lloyd, I hope your son gets his stuff back.
Old    malibuman22            06-15-2003, 10:56 PM Reply   
Has Shaun ever mowed the lawn anyway???

Lol@Rich
Old    tombugg            06-15-2003, 11:21 PM Reply   
Rich,
Read my post, did I call hip stupid????????? Did I flame him???????????????????????
NO!,.. I said that was a stupid comment and I stick to that! Point is it dosen't matter how he got it!
Old    guerito            06-16-2003, 1:41 AM Reply   
A) Tom, I understand your enthusiasm in pursuing the culprits.

B) Gunther only asked a question.

C) Gunther did not say anything like, "It's remarkably stupid for people to expend huge amounts of energy on recovering celebrity swag."

D) I am all about making sure that the community takes care if its own, but, Tom, did you ever think that Gunther might have had some things stolen (things that he, a non-celebrity, actually paid for)?

E) Feel free to flame the phcuk out of me, if you feel the need.

(Message edited by guerito on June 16, 2003)
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-16-2003, 4:11 AM Reply   
hey guys, his boat was free too!
Old    gunther            06-16-2003, 6:01 AM Reply   
Both Swass and Scott, I already adressed the fact that stealing was wrong. But I guess David Williams deleted it. I said, that I wasn't saying just because he got it for free, doesn't mean that taking it was right. I guess I should have said how I feel on the whole topic on that first post. Thanks for the support Guerito and Rich, most of the time i'm on my on here.

P.S.: Swass, hows my spelling! hahahahahaha

(Message edited by gunther on June 16, 2003)
Old    gunther            06-16-2003, 6:10 AM Reply   
Oh, by the way, i'm surprized that more boards aren't stolen. I was in shock at a boat I saw at the local hot spot on the lake. Here is this brand new Master Craft, with the racks loaded down. I'm talking about all 2003 boards, Parks, Byerly, Belmont and a Grubb. Both the Parks and the Belomont were DNA. all had the same Bindings 03 parks, byerly, and belmont. Just sitt'n on the racks. Nothin hold'n any one back from taking them. And it was parked where the owner couldn't even see it! I couldn't belive that he just left about $3,500 sitt' out there where any one could get it. I'll tell you one thing that would not be me. I didn't pay $700 on my board just to leave it out in the open un gaurded for any one to take.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-16-2003, 7:29 AM Reply   
Lloyd,

sorry to here about Shaun's bad luck. I had a similar experience when I was in Phoenix a couple of years ago. I had a brand new belmont 140 with Belmont bindings that I had only ridden about five times. We went into gas station, and when I came out it was gone. The sad thing is they probably didn't have any idea how much it was worth, and most likely pawned it for next to nothing.
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       06-16-2003, 7:34 AM Reply   
Can't you kids ever stay on topic?

Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       06-16-2003, 8:16 AM Reply   
Yes, I believe that is the board.
Thanks for all your help.
Lloyd
PS Just a thought - I think we can agree that if the person were caught - it would be a good thing for all wakeboarders in that area. And because of the uniqueness of the board - (or if he/she is stupid enough to offer the whole batch together) it's a guaranteed ID unlike most board thefts.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-16-2003, 8:21 AM Reply   
Yeah, that (prototype) board sticks out like a sore thumb. It's gonna be hard to miss.
Old     (board4food1)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-16-2003, 2:37 PM Reply   
I don't believe that is the board in the pictures. I was on the boat when Shaun was doing his demo for the crowd. After being jaw dropping amazed, Shaun finished his set and when he got in the boat and someone noticed the different fin set up and questioned him about it. He explained how the board will help you ride switch. I could have swore the board was more red than blue, but maybe I had too much sun that day.
At any rate, the board is un-mistakeable and unlike any other, if you check out the fin set up. Good luck everytbody! I will be looking down here in Phoenix for it myself.

ps I gottcho back TOM!!!
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-16-2003, 2:44 PM Reply   
Here's a pic of the prototype

image/x-jg
belmonttop_188.art (27.5 k)
Old    lukeh2owalker            06-16-2003, 3:09 PM Reply   
unleash the hounds its a fox hunt. doo too doo. lets get these guys so they remember what wakeboarders are, river people who are happy to lend you anything and give a helping hand all the time. if i were the person that stole these boards after reading these post i'd get my silly butt in the car and drive to salt lake and hand shaun his board back in person. i think shaun is big enough to forgive especially someone who can face the music without having to be drug out onto the stage to be persecuted. but be careful for i will not throw a stone at this unfortunate person but encourage them to step up and go big by giving the stuff back. or atleast be smart enough to dig a hole and hide the stuff for atleast a year before digging it up so you don't get caught chump. like that guy said in oceans eleven " i'll be disapointed if they pick you up in newport beach trying to buy a new ferrari" because we'll get you first punk.
Old    tombugg            06-16-2003, 4:24 PM Reply   
Alright,
Here I go,... Gunther, I was not attacking you personally. This whole thing has me beyond furious, so I might have unleashed on you a bit. It was not my intention to flame you. I said the comment was stupid (I stick to that) does that mean I dislike you,.. No, not at all. Trust me, I have said, and will continue to say plenty of stupid things. That one just got under my skin. Here is why; I don't “pay” for the things I get in wakeboarding. My 2003 Supra SSV is thanks to Skiers Choice and my local dealer Surfside. My boards are courtesy of Hyperlite and my killer rep Greg (can't even say Gregs name on herem that's funny!:-) Well it rhymes with fick:-)) Are they free,... No not by a long shot. I am not sponsored because of my skills on the water (I can promise you that) But I put anywhere from 600 to 800 hours of my life into this sport every year. That is time away from my family and my career. I do it because I love this sport. Please don't think that ANYTHING }}is free. Shaun works his butt off to promote this sport, and please,.. To all of you that are thinking "Works his butt off,.. He’s wakeboarding for a living!!" trust me it's still work. So, I am saying it is completely irrelevant how he got what was taken. Not to mention, this puts a black eye on the state I represent and my organization that I have worked so hard to make respectable. So, this is why I am so passionate about this. Not because I want to kiss some ones A$$. I work hard for the things I have, and I would be pissed if someone felt it was ok to take them because I did not "pay" for them. So,.. To make a long story short, I am going to do everything in my power to find out who did it. Hopefully it was just some barney and not anyone in the AWA. Please let’s not continue to harp on this, if you want to tell me to F-off (that goes for anyone here) please feel free to call me on my cell phone 602-738-6951 or e-mail me personally.

Thanx,

Tom Bugg
The AWA
http://www.azwakeboardassoc.com

(Message edited by tombugg on June 16, 2003)
Old     (njladydriver)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-16-2003, 4:47 PM Reply   
This person couldn't have been a true fan of the sport. If he/she had been, the thought would have never crossed thier mind to do something spinless like this. Let's keep the thread what it is and stop going off in the other direction about who's posting what. Fact is, Shaun got his stuff stolen and wants it back. Simple as that! Whether he got it for free or paid a million bucks for it, it was still stolen. All Lloyd is doing is looking for some help. Sad thing is, this person probably knows he has something of personal value and is not going to show it in public for fear he'll get snagged. So sorry Shaun. Being in NJ I'm sure I can't be of help but the support in hoping you get your stuff back is there!
Old    gunther            06-16-2003, 5:19 PM Reply   
See thats all you needed to say Tomm, thats something I've never thought of. I understand what your saying, but still you did flame on me. Thats just how i feel. And I'll just leave it at that.
Old    bassboy8855            06-16-2003, 5:40 PM Reply   
I live in Phoinix... I go to pawn shops almost all the time to buy all kinds of stuff. (great buys) Well, anyhoo, I'll be checkin out the pawn shops around the valley and if I see you board, I'll buy it and get it back to ya.

I probly wont find it, but hey, that would be so sweet if i did. OMG, I would be like "OMG, i have his board!"

Hey, but if i do find it... Can I ride it b4 I give it back? I mean, how many people can say they rode Murray's board. OMG that would be cool!

Dave
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-16-2003, 5:43 PM Reply   
Hey Tom, f-off

Just kidding, we are all friends here. You are a big man to write that.
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-16-2003, 7:19 PM Reply   
Dave, you're a brave soul.
I have this mental image of a whole houseboat of dudes chasin' you down...and you're screamin' "Really guys, I didn't steal it, I got it at some pawn shop" They'll say "yeah right" as they beat you to a pulp.

I wish you the best in your decision...if you get the chance to make it.
Old    bassboy8855            06-16-2003, 7:21 PM Reply   
oh crap, never thought of that...
Old    ang            06-16-2003, 8:06 PM Reply   
It is truly BS that someone would steal anyone's board from their boat, the dock, or out of their garage. For me however, the real sad part is that this incident will leave a bad impression of Phoenix with Shaun. It was great to meet him after years of watching him board on DVD's. But the best part is that he is inspiring the young riders....which is where the future of our sport is. He was great with my son. Shaun signed posters, shirts and the Unleashed jacket for Gage with smiles and words of encouragement. Then took the time to play a few rounds of Unleashed with him. I hope the board is recovered and returned to him prompty. I know that I will be on the look out for it....and looking forward to having Shaun return to Phoenix again.

Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       06-16-2003, 9:31 PM Reply   
Rest assured that Shaun understands that "Phoenix" is not the problem here. And thanks for everyone's help in this.
Lloyd
Old    love2wakbrd2000            06-16-2003, 9:39 PM Reply   
Let's all keep our eye on the ball here - THE MAN's board was stolen. Let's use this site for what it was intended and help the Wakeboarding God of America get his board back. This site has enough people who spend time here - they can help!
Old     (supersport)      Join Date: Dec 2001       06-16-2003, 10:19 PM Reply   
I dont think it matters what the value of the property is, its the fact that someone showed disrespect and took it. The person should redeem him/herself and return it or forever be cursed whenever looking in the mirror.

Gunther, your first post wasnt completely stupid, just irrelevant.
Old    suzanne_hendrix            06-17-2003, 10:23 AM Reply   
I am really sorry to hear that Shaun's personal and valuable items where stolen form Lake Pleasant. Unfortunatley, we have alot of low-lifes around the Phoenix area that go camp out at lakes and just hang out party and cause alot of trouble. They usually don't even have a boat or pwc. I had my board stolen last summer on a Wed. p.m. at Sagurao Lake with only 8 boats on the whole lake and I know who took it. If I ever see that Aztec boat and riders again I am really going to give them a piece of my mind. The board had huge sentimental value to me. I will keep my eyes peeled for these things and I would bet whoever took it probably dumped it off at some pawn shop. Maybe we could get the word out to the local pawn shops as well. I really sincerely hope they get caught and am glad to hear that Shaun doesn't think poorly on our state because of this incident.