Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-14-2011, 2:50 PM Reply   
I think I want a video camera I could attach for watersports, snowboarding, cycling, hiking, trail running, mountain biking, Yeti sheering… Might even be funny to put on the dog when he is off getting his doggy on in the woods.

Kinda liking the http://contour.com/products/contour-roam due to its shape.
The defacto seems to be http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-helmet-hero-camera/ but I’m not digging on the shape of it.

Really thinking the ContourRoam would tuck under a bike stem better, have a better profile on the snowboard helmet, mount to the motorcycle better, attach to a rope better…
Their specs seem to be about the same and the Roam is about $100 less. I’d also never use some of the GoPro accessories (chest strap for example).

Oregon Scientific has an offering too, but it’s butt fugly and bulky compared to the Roam.

Anyone touched a Roam yet?
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-14-2011, 3:02 PM Reply   
You can get gopro's a lot cheaper now, the motorsports bundle was on ebay for like 199$ a few days ago....

I like the gopro better because of the accessories, battery pack, lcd, etc, plus they use standard SD so it's cheaper to get bigger cards still.

I also don't like that the contour roam is only waterproof to 1m... Seems kind of ridiculous to me if you plan on using it in water. Mountain bike, snowboard helmet sure.

The Contour + is the really cool model they make with the huge field of vision, gps chip/logging, and bluetooth live video feed to your smartphone. But it's spendy! $499 retail!
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       09-14-2011, 3:28 PM Reply   
Gopro.
They have the POV camera nailed. The functionality, mounts,definition etc. blow the competition away.
Check out my Dogcam video using the gopro.

Last edited by kirk; 09-14-2011 at 3:34 PM.
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       09-14-2011, 7:51 PM Reply   
The contour roam looks sweet! I have a contour GPS and I like it. The iPhone app was a real selling point for me, and being able to change all your settings and everything is awesome!!
Both are great cameras, my advise is see which company has better mountain options for you.
Best of luck.
Old     (Jbort)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-14-2011, 8:23 PM Reply   
we use our gopro for wake surf vids all the time now. works well and shoots super quality in HD modes.

here's a vid from last weekend. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feuA8oVCVh4

we use an handheld extension boom to hold the cam off the back of the boat.

some cons:

has no zoom and since its 170 degree wide angle things beyond 15-20 feet get real small which means u shoot up close unless u want panaromic views, etc

2nd con is no viewfinder so u can't see the shot. there is $90 add-on LCD to fix that.

Don't know much about Contour
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-14-2011, 8:38 PM Reply   
I'm just looking for a simple click and go video cam. I'd like to mount, turn on and then kinda forget about it till after what ever I'm doing. The add on Aps, LCDs, and GPS don't really do anything for me. I'm still digging on form factor of the Roam, but the GoPro just seems too solid/dialed to rule it out.... I guess this is a nice problem to have...

Thinking next step is go find them in person and get physical for a while to see which one I like.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-07-2011, 4:14 PM Reply   
Decided to take REI up on their current 20% off offer and order a Contour Roam from them. I've played around with both the GoPro and Roam in person. I like them both, just like the shape of the Roam better. Will be fun to play with.
Old     (andrewsnb)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-13-2012, 12:38 PM Reply   
Hey Sean,

I have a lot of experience with the Contour cameras. I'd say one of the best things about Contour is the Contour app for your iphone/android. Works great for checking out what you are shooting as well as on the fly settings changes.

Sounds like you already made the right decision!

Check Contours cameras out ....here

Andrew
Shuswap Ski & Board
Old     (micbergsma1)      Join Date: Sep 2010       01-20-2012, 2:17 PM Reply   
GoPro all the way :-P I have like 500 friends with gopro, only one with contour ha ha
Old     (andrewsnb)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-21-2012, 8:38 AM Reply   
That's a lot of friends!

GoPro or Contour... they are all fun to play with!
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-14-2012, 11:28 AM Reply   

Recent family shred trip. Shot with Hero 2 720p @ 60 fps for reference. Performs much better in low light than my Hero.
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-14-2012, 11:32 PM Reply   
That video quality is awesome Jessica. Way better then I thought it would be! Anyone have any goPro video's to compare it to?
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-15-2012, 6:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfergus7 View Post
That video quality is awesome Jessica. Way better then I thought it would be! Anyone have any goPro video's to compare it to?
That is from the GoPro HERO 2 (newest GoPro). Here are some videos from the original HERO for comparison. Both shot at 1080p 30 fps.

Last edited by JJ; 02-15-2012 at 6:35 PM.
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-15-2012, 6:33 PM Reply   
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-15-2012, 6:34 PM Reply   
Old     (andrewsnb)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-23-2012, 11:06 AM Reply   

Shot at Lake Hancock outside of Orlando, FL

Skier: Mike Gazley

Andrew
Shuswap Ski and Board
YouTube for more sweet videos
Facebook
Old     (andrewsnb)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-23-2012, 11:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsnb View Post

Shot at Lake Hancock outside of Orlando, FL

Skier: Mike Gazley

Andrew
Shuswap Ski and Board
YouTube for more sweet videos
Facebook

Oh right! This was shot using a CONTOUR + POV Camera!
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-03-2012, 12:32 PM Reply   
Another HERO 2 edit from last weekend...

from JJ on Vimeo.

Old     (ReSession)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-04-2012, 4:53 AM Reply   
My vote is for the GoPro 2...my buddy has the Contour, just not as versatile or waterproof unless you buy the optional case! Plus, if you're looking to use it for more still images, GoPro has a ton of options for multiple images, it's 11 megapixels, will do 10 frames/second, timer and more.

They're both 1080 and have 170º wide angle, but I haven't seen anyone mounting the Contours to monopods (extendable poles), which I feel provide the best POV angle. Attaching the GoPro to your helmet is clunky (plus, EVERY other kid is riding down the hill with one mounted!), but if you take a look at the video, it just isn't all that interesting unless you see the skis/board ripping through the snow!)

Here's 2 videos from last weekend at Stowe (my local mountain here in VT!) and we got DUMPED on!

For best quality, click on the little 'gear' icon in the lower right and then select "1080p HD"

and...