Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    dodge            09-15-2010, 9:26 PM Reply   
Has anyone done " mirror " style tint - like to see photo's
Old     (tgoin)      Join Date: Apr 2009       09-16-2010, 6:17 AM Reply   
While this might sound cool - my vote would be -- DON'T DO IT. Imagine the blinding laser-like reflections
off of it into other boat drivers eyes --
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       09-16-2010, 7:06 AM Reply   
I fail to see the practicality of tinting boat windshields. It's not like a car where you're shielded from the direct sunlight on the interior and your pupils can account for it. Your pupils will be really small due to all of the ambient light and it will look just as dark from the driver's perspective as it would from in front of the windshield.

There are only 2 times when it would be beneficial 1) photo ops/ hanging out trying to look cool and 2) right at sunrise and sunset while traveling towards the sun (It would likely be a negative when going away from the sun at those times)
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       09-16-2010, 7:10 AM Reply   
Also, I don't think you'd get the look you're expecting when about the same amount of light is hitting both sides of the glass. If you've ever seen two rooms separated by a two way mirror that effect is dependent on the mirrored side being lit more brightly than the observer's side. If you crank up the lights on the observer's side the effect is almost completely lost. Same in a car which is darker than the outside almost all of the time accept at night with the dome light on. So unless you go obscenely dark with the tint (Defeating the purpose of the glass) I don't think you'll get much of a mirrored look.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-16-2010, 8:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
.......... it would be beneficial 1) photo ops/ hanging out trying to look cool
You trying to talk him into it? He's already sold. And you just pinned down the exact reason why 1/2 the crazy stuff gets done on these boats.

Sounds kinda 80s to me. Maybe go for some neon green while your at it.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-16-2010, 10:37 AM Reply   
I agree with Todd I think mirror tint would be a bad idea because of the blinding light it would reflect. Looks cool on cars but I don't think it would be a good idea on a boat.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-16-2010, 11:26 AM Reply   
While your at it, go down to Pep Boys and buy a pair of Yosemite Sam mud flaps for the trailer, "dingle balls" for the windscreen, and a big brahma bull sticker for the transome.

dingle balls Pictures, Images and Photos
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-21-2010, 11:40 AM Reply   
If you got a curve on your windsheild, mirrored tint doesn't stretch the way needed. Won't work on most boats.

I saw it on a silver boat and it was OK. Not my thing.

I got 10% black tint on mine and love it (hardly ever boat at night).