Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (lion90)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-04-2009, 3:29 PM Reply   
Guys,

After much deliberation and several test rides of 2008/2009 SAN 230's, we pulled the trigger on a 2009.

We are currently playing around with configurations to get the wake the way we want it before we plumb any permanent ballast into her.

Wake observations:
The wake on the 230 is definitely unique. It took me some getting used to but the wake can look like it has white wash on the top. The boat does put out a little white wash lip closer in but it seems that cuts mostly on the inside of the wake and not the face of the wake that you ride up - mostly. It can be deceiving and it took me a little while to get over the mental block that I was going hit some wash that would throw me off. Some others have confirmed that same impression but thought I would throw it out there to see if other 230 owners agree that this is normal for this boat.

The wake definitely has a nice transition but is no doubt steeper at the end and upward popier than the XStar. The wake is also much more narrow. I am not saying this is better or worse than any other wake, it just suits my style better. I like taking stuff more upward and having a narrow wake still allows me to ride at a good length.

With stock ballast, I was realatively impressed. Not bad for only 800lbs or so. I was expecting worse.

We then tried a 400lb back in the locker and a 400lb bag in the walkthrough and two 300-350's in the rear lockers. Wow, this was a great configuration. The wake is definitely sensitive a little side to side but was always clean and quite large when cutting in and hitting it. We rode at 23mph at 75-80ft, no problem.

Next we tried a only 400lbs in the walkthrough and two 400lb sacs on the rear seat and in front of the rear seat. This did not have as good of an affect as it seemed hard to clean this up at 23mph. We moved the one bag farther forward and it was much better.

Conclusion: It definitely sounds like this boat likes to be nose heavy. We are planning on putting in the integrated bow sac, a tube sac in the locker and two 750s in the rear. We don't plan to ever come close to filling those rears for wakeboarding based on our experiences so far... however, for wakesurfing, maybe.

Wakesufing:
We only tried once and either got lucky or still have great things ahead of us. My buddy who is all about surfing that owns a VLX was amazed at the wave and curl that we got. He described the wave as steep and fast which allowed him to recover easily. He also thought the pocket was very long. This was only with only one rear stock tank full, a 400lb bag on top of that and one spread across the rear seat. I couldn't believe the amount of lean we could get with just that config. We can't wait to get a little more weight into the corner.

As far as everything else:
The boat drives remarkably. With the ZR6, it has plenty of power and when loaded with weight, it still takes turns like a dream. We love the layout and all of the storage. The new tower is growing on me and the Z5 cargo rack is awesome (however it is a little low - we are seeing if we can move the mounts a bit to get a little more headroom). Overall, we love the boat - just need to dial in that wakeboard wake a little more.

Question:
What prop are you 230/236 owners using and what weight configuration. I swear that I read somewhere that someone changed a prop and it reduced that cutting into the wake effect that I described earlier.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to share my impressions and get some feedback from owners and people that have experience with the 230/236.