Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (midlifecrisis)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-18-2008, 10:24 AM Reply   
Need some input from the pros out there. I am looking to purchase my first wakesurf board. I want a board that I can ride (6'2, 225#), my 12 year old daughter and my wife, not to mention my other wakeboard buds. My daughter/wife are new to wakesurf but myself and the crew are considered intermediate. Cost is not a factor but if something is out there reasonable, let's have it. Thanks in advance!!
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-18-2008, 11:35 AM Reply   
Blue lake from inland surfer
Old     (sacnvr2l8)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-18-2008, 2:34 PM Reply   
I would get a IS blue and a yellow I guess now it is the green...You should be set...
Old     (midlifecrisis)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-21-2008, 9:53 AM Reply   
Over the weekend I got the 4'9" Hyperlite Comcast. Good board based on my needs? Be honest - I can take a punch if I fup'd
Old     (t_mann)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-21-2008, 10:24 AM Reply   
Rick

The 4'9 Broadcast should work well for the small to med size people in your group. It does work well for beginners and intermediate riders. I am basically the same size you are and I agree with the previous posts. The Inland surfer Blue or the new red will work better if you are a surf style rider. The Phase five oogle or the Drew pro model in an XL, if you like the skim style. I have also rode a Shred Stixx that worked well. There are a lot of other boards out there but I have yet to try them.
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-21-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
Im a Hyperlite dealer. 4'9" comcast good board. If you progress very fast you will out do it in a hurry. Like troy said beginner and inter.
Old     (sacnvr2l8)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-21-2008, 1:29 PM Reply   
My personal opinion the 4'9 board is probably going to make you work a lot harder then you need to to stay in the pocket at your size...I have a guy in my crew who is 6'2 240 and that board just doesn't work for him but he can surf the blue all day...Just my 2 cents...That broadcast will be great fro everyone else probably
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-21-2008, 2:28 PM Reply   
Rick, what you will soon find out is that you will need a quiver of boards. The 4'9" Hyperlite and Inland Surfer Blue are both great boards to have in your quiver. As you advance you'll probably want a different board. Great boards are made by Calibrated, Walker Project, Shredd Stix, and Walzer. I only mentioned these companies because they are the companies that I have first hand knowledge. There are many other companies that make great boards. There is plenty of info in this forum on boards. One of the big problems with buying a board is there are not a lot of places to demo a board. In Ohio we have surf gatherings and surf contests. These are great ways to ride a lot of different boards to find one you like. A couple of years ago at a surf gathering, there was a Shredd Stix board available for demo. Not sure which model it was but nobody liked the board. A year later, we demoed different Shred Stix models (JaMako and Pirranha) and everybody loved them. I now ride a Shred Stix JaMaKo. Being able to demo a board is very helpful, since a good board can cost $400 to $700 dollars.
Old     (midlifecrisis)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-21-2008, 3:25 PM Reply   
Good input guys - I had no idea how advanced wakesurfing has become. Based on what I've read, I will be adding to the "quiver" after this summer season. These things are not cheap - will be hard to justify to the missy if I drop another 4-5 bills on a new board considering I just picked up the Comcast for $275.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-21-2008, 3:51 PM Reply   
Rick, buy your "missy" a surfboard for Christmas or her birthday. Kill two birds with one stone. On second thought that might not be a good idea. If she hits you over the head with the board, it might be a good test of the strength of the board.
Old     (sacnvr2l8)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-21-2008, 3:55 PM Reply   
got my wife an IS Pink :-) at the same time I got my walker so she didnt say anything ...We usually have no less than 4 boards on the boat at any given time :-)
Old     (midlifecrisis)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-22-2008, 9:24 AM Reply   
I'm thinking buying her a IS Blue for her birthday, but guess who will be on the board the most? Sweet idea!!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-22-2008, 5:46 PM Reply   
That's like buy your wife a monogrammed bowling ball that says "Homer" on it.
Old    surfdad            04-22-2008, 6:11 PM Reply   
You should see all the foam Santa left for Judy last year - she was speechless...well at least for a little bit. :-)