Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-09-2004, 7:16 PM Reply   
Are you going to stay or leave the state due to hurricane Ivan? Seems to be the worst one yet this year.
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-09-2004, 7:24 PM Reply   
I aint goin no where im riding this weekend
Old    sbvfive            09-09-2004, 8:29 PM Reply   
I think that I am gonna stay...I left the orlando area for charley and frances and I am sick of leaving
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-09-2004, 8:50 PM Reply   
i think i'll stay here in wpb this time. hopefully it won't come to the east coast.
Old    optionryder420            09-09-2004, 9:17 PM Reply   
I'm in St. Pete so I may be completely leaving if it' us directly.

(Message edited by optionryder420 on September 09, 2004)
Old    optionryder420            09-09-2004, 9:18 PM Reply   
ok, I cant say it's
then hitting next to eachother...strict policy or something
Old     (blackhash)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-10-2004, 7:43 AM Reply   
first off it if a hurricane 3+ is heading toward you get the hell outta dodge. 3 is pushing it, but a 4 or 5 is nothing to play with i wish everyone the best through Ivan whereever it goes, but be safe.
Old     (vlxwakerider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-10-2004, 9:34 PM Reply   
does anyone know the conditions of the lakes around orlando, or the OWC ?
Old    shanday            09-10-2004, 9:52 PM Reply   
I think I'll go ahead and stay...Don't think it will make it all the way up over here!!!

(Message edited by shanday on September 10, 2004)
Old    optionryder420            09-11-2004, 7:34 AM Reply   
Ok, I've been watching this for some time now and it's now swerving off to the west. It's probably going to hit the panhandle now.
But I'm already going to Boston so if it still does hit I'll be safe. It's only going to be a high 2 low 3 in catagory.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-11-2004, 1:18 PM Reply   
Wakerider, OWC is open. My lake only went up about 8" after Frances. Probably up about 1.5' in the last month.
Old    wakeboardpunk17            09-11-2004, 1:19 PM Reply   
I live in orlando about 15 mins from OWC and I am riding it out just like I have for the past ones. I don't think it will be that bad this far inland though but who knows.
Old     (flashalexb)      Join Date: May 2004       09-11-2004, 4:17 PM Reply   
If it is a category 4 or 5 im leaving. It's headed strait towards me too (panama city FL). Pulled the boat out of the water today.
Old     (azsufer)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-12-2004, 8:59 PM Reply   
I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD GET OUT OF THERE...A house and boat are replaceable. Use your heads.

Our prayers are with you.
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-13-2004, 11:16 AM Reply   
I've managed to dodge three of them so far but I have a feeling I won't be as lucky this time. If it's a cat. 4 or higher I'm getting the hell outta here. the worst part is I'm closing on a new house tonight... Great Timing hey...
Old    wakecord            09-13-2004, 11:28 AM Reply   

(Message edited by wakecord on September 13, 2004)
Old    wakecord            09-13-2004, 11:55 AM Reply   
Ivan is a Cat 5 with gusts up to 195 mph right now (12:30 MST). As it enters the open, warm waters of the Gulf it will not likely weaken.

Ole Miss & Naw'lins is looking more and more like the landfall for Ivan .

Since much of the Big Easy is at or below sea-level ....

Ivan
Old     (flashalexb)      Join Date: May 2004       09-13-2004, 1:47 PM Reply   
They cancelled school for the rest of the week. We're going to get smashed by this hurricane.
Old    grizzle            09-13-2004, 2:09 PM Reply   
Good luck everybody... we've had all 3 threaten us in Tampa, and have been lucky so far. You never know where those things are going to go when they move that slow and are that strong.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-13-2004, 2:20 PM Reply   
John, you obviously don't live on Lake Orienta where 12 homes are in jeopardy of flooding. Consider yourself somewhat lucky with regards to your lake anyway.

My lake is pretty high and I'd be banging up my neighbors docks if I rode and a few sheds down by the water.
Also, many lakes in the area tested (after Charley) high with bacteria levels including many big wakeboarding lakes such as...Conway, Maitland, etc.
Old    wickedwake            09-13-2004, 2:28 PM Reply   
What would cause a lake to become bacteria infested after a hurricane?
Old    optionryder420            09-13-2004, 2:39 PM Reply   
Well Ivan is heading a little bit further East again... not near me in St. pete/tampa thank god.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-13-2004, 3:05 PM Reply   
clay, it happens when the pumping stations for the sewage are out of electricity, the sewage has to go somewhere. down here in south florida a lot is going to the intracoastal, etc.

it was openly stated in the newspaper to consider any standing water, canals, ponds, etc to contain fecal matter. this pretty much translates to "don't go wakeboarding cause there is poo poo in the water" - not that i have ridden much lately anyway
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-13-2004, 4:18 PM Reply   
Opal was a Cat. 3 and really messed Destin up... Oh Dear, What To Do, What To Do!
Old    wakecord            09-13-2004, 4:42 PM Reply   
I think Kevin meant it is heading west. Latest track has Nawlins with the eye.
Once this one gets into the Gulf, all bets are off.

Ivan track

(Message edited by wakecord on September 13, 2004)
Old    optionryder420            09-13-2004, 6:55 PM Reply   
No I meant East... but it starts heading east again farther north... I'm right now in Boston, just got here at 6 we bought plane tickets early in fear of Ivan, I'm in St pete and my mom already had a meeting here.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-13-2004, 7:09 PM Reply   
Ok so the thing is heading right for me and ive got a delema, what to carry with in the truck...house crap or snowboards and wakeboards...what to do...hey i could always leave the i/o behind to cash out the insurance and get a REAL boat...NOT, think ill most likely tow her out if i leave cause i wouldnt want it to fill up with trees

I thought two hurricanes could not strike the same place twice??Opal?
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-14-2004, 5:12 AM Reply   
Take your computer, boards, wife, kids, important docs and other valuable items. Heck, a wakeboard alone costs as much as some pieces of furniture - even without the boots!

All kidding aside, I hope you make it through this one alright. Charley basically came directly over my house, but it was well inland so it was only a cat 1 at that point. Frances went south of us but we had sustained winds near hurricane force for almost a day and a half it seemed. There was more damage with Frances in my area and the storm was further away, but all in all I feel very fortunate to have only minor damage to the house and pool enclosure.

There is still plenty of time for this thing to change it's course though.
Old     (aquaholic)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-14-2004, 6:09 AM Reply   
Bob, good luck on this one. Stay safe. David glad you made out ok in the others. I'm still keeping an eye on it in case it decides to take a right turn like Charley did.
Old    wakecord            09-14-2004, 7:57 AM Reply   
Granted Kevin. They all turn east, eventually. Prevailing winds over the plains etc.
My point was area of the landfall/storm surge.

try to stay dry.
Old    grizzle            09-14-2004, 8:00 AM Reply   
Wus up Novak ? I hear that you have quit wakeboarding . Looks like we are safe from this hurricane which is a good thing because the dock is already under water from the last 2 storms !
Old     (aquaholic)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-14-2004, 8:05 AM Reply   
quit? no, between the hurricanes, summer rains, moving, and band stuff just haven't had as much time. You at Michele's house now? we'll be out there in a couple weeks.
Old    grizzle            09-14-2004, 8:12 AM Reply   
Just joking with you... heard it from Angi and Jake ! Yep, I'm living out at East Lake now so let me know when you're out here. Also send me an e-mail when your band is playing, so I can try to make it this time.
Later
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-15-2004, 10:52 AM Reply   
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-15-2004, 12:39 PM Reply   
in spite of all the madness. I thought this was funny.

ivan
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-15-2004, 1:54 PM Reply   
ha ha, good one Bug man.
I'm breathing a sigh of relief, but my thoughts are with those folks in the path - it's stressful. You have damage to your property, no power for days and it takes a good while until things get back to normal.

Many people get injured or killed after the storm has passed. Be smart. In DeLand after, Frances, four people on two crotch rockets (young guys and there girlfriends) went out for a ride one night to look at damage or because no one was on the road - I guess we'll never know, because they hit a downed tree on a dark, slick road and all four were killed.
Old    wickedwake            09-15-2004, 5:08 PM Reply   
Say a pray for us guys. Im in south Alabama and the eye is heading right for me. This might be my last post, power should go out any second. A prayer goes out for the first 2 people that were just killed in P.C by Ivan, it's first 2 victims. This will be my first hurricane, i guess all we can do now is hold on LOL. Peace
Old     (flashalexb)      Join Date: May 2004       09-17-2004, 6:35 PM Reply   
Ahh ive been working all day to get everything back to normal here at my house in Panama City. No damage to the house but lots of trees and branches fell down and my pool was filled with leaves. Ohh well other than that everything was fine.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-20-2004, 8:58 AM Reply   
That's cool if that's the worst of it for you Alex.

21 people killed by this storm is a lot for a hurricane these days.

I assume Clay is still without power...I hope all is well!
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-20-2004, 10:45 AM Reply   
I'm glad I was riding OWC all during Ivan's wrath but man was there some messed up stuff here in Destin when I got back. My sister still has no power.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-20-2004, 4:18 PM Reply   
here is a test pic from ivan
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-20-2004, 4:47 PM Reply   
ok here we go, look for the wave runners, my yacht, and the Porshe.These were either taken across the street from me, at a friends house, or in town (Either Ft Walton beach or Navarre)

Old     (aquaholic)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-21-2004, 5:12 AM Reply   
Bob, awesome pics! Glad you made it ok. How did your house do? Did you take your boat and get out of town?
Old    vance            09-21-2004, 8:54 AM Reply   
A part of ivan came back and gave us alot of rain here in central florida. Its suppose to go into the gulf and maybe form into a storm.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-21-2004, 1:59 PM Reply   
We were ok Mike, wanted to take boat with but it was too late and gas was scarce by that point. Drove the exploder and jetta out to j'ville for one night then headed back towards town only to find out we couldnt get in okaloosa (should have remebered from opal) so we finally got a place in lake city for another night. Of course we just got power back yeasterday around 5-6 pm. Living out of a cooler and running a fan and small radio off an inverter for two and a half days sucks but is better then not having a fan at all or cold food.