Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       08-13-2003, 10:04 AM Reply   
I just put a rebuilt engine in a friends 86 Natique, I cant get the engine started and a couple things have me puzzled.

1. When the engine turns over, the distriburor turs clockwise. To prime the oil pump and get the oil pressure up the oil pump shaft must be turned counter clockwise. Which way should the distributor (rotor) be turning on a reverse rotation motor? Is the direction of the distributor rotation what determines is the engine is a reverse rotation?

2. Which way should the crankshaft be turning when viewed from front(distributor side) of the engine? My friend bought a new starter from Kragen and my guess is it is for a automotive applicaion and may be turning the engine in the standard rotation direction since they do sell standard rotation and reverse rotation starters.

3. Anyone know the firing order for a 86 Natique with a reverse rotation 351? Does 13726548 sound familiar? I also understand there were two possible firing orders for this engine?

Thanks.

Old    nooner            08-13-2003, 12:44 PM Reply   
I have it at home. I can check on it this Evening if I remember. Hopefully you used the same cam shaft. It has a reverse cut gear in it. But if you used the same distributer then it had a reverse gear on it too. So that is probably not an issue. That makes the Distributer turn normal "if I remember correctly. The firing order will be set up like a normal car engine but I have to check that for you. I will count the wires tonight unless somenoe replies first. So the oil pump should turn normally"counter clockwise". The starter needs to be reverse too. the crank shaft actually turns backwards. Also When you put it together the pistons where supposed to be turning towards the back of the block. That is what they told me anyways. That is if you bought pistons that had notches on them to let you know forward facing.

(Message edited by nooner on August 13, 2003)
Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       08-13-2003, 1:04 PM Reply   
Thanks Luis, the firing order would be a big help. It looks like the biggest part of the problem is that we have the wrong starter, I've got the right one coming in tomorrow.

Thanks.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-13-2003, 5:53 PM Reply   
Brad:

I had a similar situation on a tournament boat with a Ford 351 based engine. It was dad's boat, actually, and he couldn't get the boat to run. He didn't tell me that he had just changed the starter!

Turns out that it had a reverse rotation engine. Damn, that had me puzzled for hours trying to figure that out.
Old    nooner            08-13-2003, 8:00 PM Reply   
ok.. I guess your firing order if right if you wire it backwords from a normal car. Meaning clockwise.

I started with number 1 and went counter clockwise like a normal car an it is 18456273 so either way its the same just depends if you do it counter clockwise or clockwise. I think my manual shows the firing order to be the 18456273... I hope that helps
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-14-2003, 7:54 AM Reply   
A note on a automotive versus marine starters. Marine starters are sealed to help prevent gas fume ignitions. Unfortunately, the gas given off from the sealed internal "spark" is corrosive so marine starters life is less than automotive type starters.