Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-29-2007, 12:05 PM Reply   
Hey everyone, i've got a slight problem...i was getting some wicked vibration under the boat (like bent prop type) but didn't remember hitting anything...pulled it out of the water and checked the prop, everything's fine, but i'm getting some play in the rudder (actually moves a bit back and forth). Has anyone seen this? Is it easily fixed? I'm going to try to tear into it, but I was hoping someone had some insight before i took everything apart. The play is in the actual rudder, the mount is still solid. TIA fellas
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-29-2007, 12:47 PM Reply   
What do you mean by play?

Are you talking about how the rubber moves when grab at the back and is turned side to side? That would be considered normal and is just the play in the steering cable and connections.

Now if you are talking about grabbing it at the bottom and wiggling it side to side that is a whole other story and could be a potential problem, that would most likely show up as a leak.

Doubtful your rudder is the problem.

Most likely it is a bent shaft, prop balance, bent strut, loose connection, or something else in the driveline.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-29-2007, 4:14 PM Reply   
I had a problem similar to that and found that the dealer had left the clamp that anchors the steering cable to the floor in the rear loose.
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-29-2007, 7:01 PM Reply   
Hey, thanks for the responses guys...Peter, yeah, it's actually the second type of play (in the rudder itself) but it is not shimmying on the mount, which is why no water was coming in, i think...it's actually just the rudder coming through the hull that's shaking.

George, that sounds like a potential fix, is that clamp just the one that's bolted to it? Maybe that just came loose on me.

I thought at first that it was some of the things you mentioned Peter, but the fault with that i think is that it started happening so suddenly (like mid-turn during my set) without anything hitting (definitely would have noticed hitting something that caused that much shimmy).

I'll check on that clamp, thanks again guys!
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-29-2007, 9:25 PM Reply   
Just because you did not think you hit anything does not mean that you did not. Sounds to me like "Most likely it is a bent shaft, prop balance, bent strut, loose connection, or something else in the driveline"
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-29-2007, 9:46 PM Reply   
if you have weeds, algae or stuff in the water it can feel real weird and make the boat act funny when theres stuff stuck on fins or rudder, stop jam reverse to flush and then proceed, hope its nothing expensive
Old     (mcook77)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-30-2007, 4:24 AM Reply   
Tony - definitely check where the rudder is connected to the bar underneath the engine. I had this happen last year to me and almost ran into a bridge towing a rider.....

It made the boat almost impossible to turn at any speed...after I tightened those bolts up, everything was good. I had the same thought you did - felt like driving a boat that had hit something submerged knowing that I had not.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-30-2007, 5:46 AM Reply   
Tony, the is a bolt that attaches the cable to the rudder and then about 1 foot back there is a clamp / anchor that holds the outside of the steering cable in place. That is what was loose on my boat.
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-30-2007, 9:20 AM Reply   
Awesome, I'll check those out tonight. Thanks guys, i'll let you know how it goes.
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-03-2007, 7:02 PM Reply   
Updates, with pics....Tightened everything down in the bay (this was pretty loose)
Upload
Then checked this part, the heim joint at the engine mount (everything good to go here)
Upload

But am still seeing too much play here
Upload

Could this be a grease issue?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-03-2007, 7:22 PM Reply   
How about some pictures of every edge of the prop? Plus a nice side shot of the rudder squared up nicely in the picture frame.

Leave it apart how it is and take if for a test drive. That is assuming you have water fairly close. Then get someone to drive it in the vibrating speed range and watch or "carefully" touch the steering cable. If the steering is the problem you will feel more vibration there than the transmission.

Edit: you should check the run out of the prop shaft.

(Message edited by Peter_C on May 03, 2007)
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-04-2007, 3:25 AM Reply   
Grease will not stop play (at least for long) If there is alot of play in the rudder/rudder box, one or both will have to be replaced. Hopefully only the rudder. A complete assembly is $386 at Discount Inboard Marine.
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-04-2007, 6:38 AM Reply   
Yeah, i was just looking at my catalog on that one, praying I don't have to do it :-/

I'll definitely try that test out this weekend if i get a chance, thanks for all your help guys.