Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       06-13-2010, 9:35 PM Reply   
Just saw this, hope it wasnt anyone on here.

Accident involving wake boarder, boater in Discovery Bay injures two people
By Theresa Harrington
Contra Costa Times
Posted: 06/13/2010 05:55:12 PM PDT
Updated: 06/13/2010 07:24:22 PM PDT

DISCOVERY BAY — A boat struck a wake boarder in the Delta on Sunday, causing two people to be airlifted to a local trauma center, a marine patrol sergeant said.

A man was wakeboarding on Old River near Highway 4, when he was struck by a vessel driven by a woman, said Sgt. Doug Powell of the Contra Costa marine patrol.

Three fire engines, two ambulances and two helicopters responded to the call at 4:57 p.m. near the Indian Slough area of the Delta on the outskirts of Discovery Bay, said Jake Gonzalez, East Contra Costa fire battalion chief. Private boats transported the man and woman with major to moderate injuries to the Discovery Bay Marina, he said.

The victims, whose names Gonzalez and Powell did not know, were transported to John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek. Ealy Sunday evening, Powell said he was still waiting to hear the extent of the injuries from hospital officials.
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-13-2010, 9:39 PM Reply   
Very Sad News hope the two persons are alright
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-14-2010, 5:37 AM Reply   
Its getting to be that time of year. The water is packed and there are people everywhere. Be careful out there.
Old    Chaserwaser            06-14-2010, 6:44 AM Reply   
Wow I can almost guarentee she was following to close behind him. Then he feel then boom! Can you imagine just the sound of you hitting someone, god I would just be in shock. We were taking chase boat pictures 2 weekends ago, I dont think I have ever been so scared to actually fall, cut out to hard, land to fast, watch the two boats almost hit eachother each time they were turning, but the shots were totally awesome! You just need to be aware your surroundings and not be dumb about everything. I hope for the best for these people!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-14-2010, 6:53 AM Reply   
That's weird. yesterday when I read the story they said a jet ski hit a boat. Now it's a wakeboarder.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       06-14-2010, 8:01 AM Reply   
its now official - the 2010 season @ the delt has begun.
Lets all be smart, respectful & safe out there folks.

hope those people recover ok.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-14-2010, 12:25 PM Reply   
I only have a chopped up version, and it sounds like there is a piece missing. The accident involved a flat bottom jet boat and a Super Air Natique. the boats were traveling in opposite directions (passing each other) in Old river. The Wake boat had an accomplished rider in tow. Here's the crazy part. Just as the boats were passing each other, the wake boarder launched off his wake into the way of the on coming jet boat. The rider accually landed on the driver of the jet boat as they passed. My understanding is that both the driver, and rider were sent via heli to John Muir. The boat driver (a 24 year old girl) may have a broken neck. I havn't heard of the condition of the rider yet.

P.S. J-Rod. You may know the rider. He hangs with the Disco Bay wake crowd. P.M. me if you need to.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-14-2010, 12:37 PM Reply   
I easily see how this can happen, especially when traveling opposite directions. I've come super close to hitting a boat on a landing before. Missed by inches. Luckily the boat was sitting still. I just misjudged how much time I would be in the air for. You cover a lot of distance and fast.

Sometimes it's hard for a rider to even see a small boat coming the other way.

Best wishes to both rider and driver. That sucks.
Old     (cheeseman)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-14-2010, 12:50 PM Reply   
The wakeboarder that got hit by the boat was Peter Duncan. Fortunately he is going to be Ok. Afew facial lacerations and a couple broken bones. He was juming wake to wake when a boat decided to pass when he got hit. Be carefull out on the Delta
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-14-2010, 12:52 PM Reply   
Thanks for the clarification Chuckie P.
Old     (madriding1)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-14-2010, 12:54 PM Reply   
From the father of the woman hit by the wakeboarder "Prayer Request PLEASE?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday was so nice on the Delta so my daughter & I took our Jet boat out for a ride to chill and be on the water for awhile. She was driving the boat and has been driving boats since she was 4 years old, and 2 weeks away from her 25th birthday, when we were in a crouded slough heading home. A wake boarder coming at us was on our left clear on the other side of the boat pulling him, when he decided to snap across the wake in mid air without looking to see if it was clear, and hit my daughter after breaking off the steering wheel... she never saw what hit her. So she is in the ICU with a broken neck, brain injuries, a partially collapsed lung and has yet to regain consciousness. Please say a prayer for both her & the wake boarder... her name is Julie. Thank you so much to anyone who can help with a prayer. Regards... Larry
Old     (cheeseman)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-14-2010, 12:55 PM Reply   
It is scary to know what could have happened. Peter has two youg girls and a wife. It could have been a lot worse of an ending than what happened.
Old     (cheeseman)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-14-2010, 12:58 PM Reply   
Prayers to both families.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-14-2010, 1:10 PM Reply   
Wow. I know Duncan too. I've partied at his home.

Best of luck to the girl driving the boat and the family.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-14-2010, 1:15 PM Reply   
Man, that sucks. Sounds like she got the worst end of it.
If she still is unconscious, then that is indication that the brain injury is a very bad one (not that there ever are any good ones).

Prayers to everybody involved!

I was just thinking this week how much I miss riding on the delta.
Old     (rene)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-14-2010, 2:04 PM Reply   
WOW...Peter is lucky the jet boat didn't have a tower. He could have had his head chopped off.

I hope Peter and the girl are ok.

Prayers to all.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       06-14-2010, 3:22 PM Reply   
wait he got hit while doing a jump and the dad blames it on him? I mean if you have been driving boats for 21 yrs why would you be within 5 ft of someone elses wake?

to bad she is injured badly, but she could have killed someone. Like its said this guy has a wife and kids
Old     (thescott)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-14-2010, 3:30 PM Reply   
^^We don't know the whole story. Maybe the guy was running a 90' line and landing WAY out in the flats...hard to say w/out being there who's at fault and too easy to speculate and come to your own conclusions while sitting at your computer.

With something this serious for the people involved AND their families/friends...I say stay away from finger pointing. Doesn't help anyone.

Thoughts go out to everyone involved...sad story. Hope everyone makes a full recovery.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-14-2010, 3:44 PM Reply   
What's unclear is whether the boat was coming from behind, or ahead.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       06-14-2010, 3:47 PM Reply   
even a 100 ft line doesnt matter its still to close. thats the point if a driver was being safe then theres no way you should have any way of hitting someone. I look at it if it was me or one of my friends and family that could have been hit. it hits home because of the time i spend out on the d especially old river.There are so many terrible drivers out here its scary pretty often.

Prayers to everyone invovlved i hope they recover.
Old     (adam4x4)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-14-2010, 3:53 PM Reply   
your right, a lot drive fast on the delta and our driving to close. i know some times where we board its narrow too, that the delta for u. I REALLY hope the best for both, with fast and full recovery.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-14-2010, 4:32 PM Reply   
I HATE HATE HATE playing couch quarterback (especially on situations like these). IMHO there are reasonable arguments both ways. Driver sees rider far out on opposite side of wake they are crossing and assumes rider is letting them pass. Rider doesnt see boat and proceeds to jump the wake. Again, just food for thought, either way without the whole story first hand...who knows what the situation really was.
Old     (wakebrdmom)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-14-2010, 6:01 PM Reply   
This is a very unfortunate accident for both parties involved. Being a personal friend of the wakeboarder he is very experienced rider and boat driver. He lives on the water and rides often. I have experience on the delta as well and do see a lot of boats that come way to close to riders, it is very scary. Delta boaters need to respect each other. Riders do not always see a boat coming behind them or on the other side of them. Not an excuse, just a fact. IMO other boats need to stay a safe distance from anyone being towed behind a boat. I know that Peter does not ride a 100 ft rope as was suggested. There was no way that if Peter saw that boat he would have jumped the wake. He is very safe out there.

My prayers go out to both families.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-14-2010, 6:21 PM Reply   
Totaly agree with Linda. Peter is one of the Safest boaters in the area. He would never put himself or anyone else in any danger. With that said, Peter is going to be O.K. He has 9 stitches in his arm, and some facial "fractures". No other broken bones. He may need some re construction surgury, but again, he will be allright. Julie needs all of our support and prayers. As of 4:00, she was still in an un- concious state.
Just to clarify, the boats were coming towards each other, NO ALCOHOL was involved with anyone !! Perhaps just a bad judgement call. This was a pure Accident. Lets not place blame or point fingers. Lets just hope all works out well for all involved.
Old     (delta_mud)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-14-2010, 9:19 PM Reply   
This just makes me sick to my stomach,I really feel bad, especially for Julies father. I have to say I haven't been much of a prayer, but Julie has our family's prayers. This is a pretty sad reminder that we all have to be aware and safe out there. God bless Julie.
Old     (mustangmark)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-14-2010, 9:53 PM Reply   
larry,
this is mark with the warlock. you brought the gas out to us yesterday. wow.....i am so sorry to hear that your daughter was inured and my prayers go out to her and the guy on the wake board! this thing has been on my mind sense miah had told me about it yesterday! you and your daughter are super nice people and i cant thank you enough for bailing us out yesterday. it was very appreciated! i just talked to miah about 30 min ago and asked him if he had heard anything regarding how your daughter was doing and he said that he had talked to you this afternoon and you told him that your daughter was now conscious......that is fantastic to hear (actually...best news i've gotten all day!!!) and i wish her a speedy recovery!
mark
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-14-2010, 10:30 PM Reply   
Was on the delta when I heard this news, and it gave me chills. I am a panicky rider (I wont do anything when a boat is behind me, they always follow right behind the wake for goodness sake STOP or go left..but no they don't they just follow) it irritates the crap out of me....even with boats in opposite directions I wont do anything unless I am going to land on the shore line... my husband and I have had some close encounters with people almost running us over. This is such a Freak accident. Holy heck...... Prayers go out, I hope everyone recovers... And YES lets all follow the USCG rules 150ft from any rider. and hey if you see a rider down, put your hand up. This gives recognition to the driver, that you see his/her rider. Stop the boat if it looks busy, nobody is in Labor............just stop your boat.. idle for goodness sake....BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-15-2010, 5:24 AM Reply   
The boat was coming from behind??? That is completely unacceptable. He should consider himself lucky that he took off when he did and not 5 seconds sooner where he would have landed and then get impailed by the boat and most likely killed. Even on an 85 foot line unless you are Keith Lyman, going that big into the flats to be in range of a boat is pretty damn hard. She was obviously driving way to close.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-15-2010, 6:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Just to clarify, the boats were coming towards each other, NO ALCOHOL was involved with anyone
I think that answers your statement
Old    kidrik            06-15-2010, 6:31 AM Reply   
Very sad. This is is like a bad dream all over again. I hope everyone involved is going to be O.K. All of your thoughts and support helped Connor, who had many of the same exact injuries, so keep them coming! My thoughts go out to both of them and their families, and I realize how hard it is during this time. Stay strong.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-15-2010, 7:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrdmom View Post
TThere was no way that if Peter saw that boat he would have jumped the wake. He is very safe out there.
In my 30+ years being towed behind a boat I have never not seen a boat coming towards my tow boat.
Old     (lfrider139)      Join Date: May 2007       06-15-2010, 8:04 AM Reply   
what a crazy thing to happen, hope everyone comes out ok.

+vibes to those involved
Old     (cheeseman)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-15-2010, 8:41 AM Reply   
Went and saw Peter in the hospital yesterday, he is in good spirits and feels really bad for the girl. He never saw her and does not remember anything after crashing. The other part of this story is that there was three young kids in the boat that Peter was coaching and now they want nothing to do with the boat, the water or wakeboarding right now. You can only shelter kids from so much, seeing this accident right in front of you at a young age can be tramatic. Peter told me he will be ready to ride next week at the Nor Cal INT (right!), but that is how positive Peter is. I just hope the other boys can get over it as fast.

The young lady Julie that was driving the speed boat, I feel so sorry for you and your injuries. I know you did not mean for this to happen, but it did. Get well soon. Stay possitive, your family and friends will be there for you.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-15-2010, 8:53 AM Reply   
Chuck,

Tell Peter the old man crew of INT are all pulling for him!

Let's all hope and pray everyone pulls through this and that the Delta be a safe place this summer!

-Uj
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-15-2010, 8:59 AM Reply   
The reality of it is that it doesn't matter who was at fault. I think this was a pure case of accident. I'm sure there was a slight lack of judgement from both parties. I know I've misjudged my distance to other boats. If the driver of the other boat was unfamiliar with wakeboarding it would be easy to misjudge how far outside of the wake the rider was going to land.

Best wishes to both parties.

Take care out there. The delta is a dangerous place that we all love to enjoy. We do what we can to be safe, but we also try to have fun. Keep the bigger picture in mind at all times. Everyone wants to go home safe.
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-15-2010, 12:40 PM Reply   
Yes, I read the article and heard they were traveling in opposite directions. I was just stating that no matter where a boat is... they are ALWAYS TOO CLOSE!!
Only the witnesses can say what was too close. Again I hope everyone has a speedy recovery. Maybe we can convince the new governor to impliment Boating licenses!!
Old     (madriding1)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-15-2010, 1:32 PM Reply   
GOOD NEWS, Julie is ok!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As of last night (Monday 6/14) about 5 pm, the doctors told us that the swelling in Julie's brain has gone down by itself and there is nothing more needed as far as dealing with a brain injury, her punctured lung is healing itself with no other treatment needed, and her neck is not broken as thought, and following a more thorough re-examination after her condition stablized, there's just a "wing" of her C7 vertebre that is broken that will also heal itself. Basically, all of your (our) prayers HAVE been answered, and her body has taken over and is taking care of itself. As of 11 am today (tuesday 6/15) she woke up, had oatmeal for breakfast, is awake and alert and she is going to be transfered out of the trauma center 35 miles away to a regular room about 5 minutes from home. The doctors said she has defied all odds and is making a remarkable recovery considering the impact she took, and complete recovery is expected to be 6 to 8 weeks (for most people), however the progress she has made in the last 48 hours makes the doctors think it will take her less time than most. I can never thank all of you enough for praying for her, as it clearly worked wonders as it always does. PLEASE continue to pray for the wake boarder who hit us, as he wasn't so lucky and will need a lot of time and prayers until he is out of the ICU and on the road to recovery. Our hearts and prayers will continue to go out to him and his family, and I would appreciate it if all of you who have helped Julie, direct your thoughts and prayers to them. Once again, this is the most horrific thing I have ever gone through as my daughter has been my best friend since she was a little girl. It's strange but my priorities have changed instantly, and all the things I thought were important absolutely don't matter anymore. I owe the "Big Guy" something I'm not sure how I can repay, but I will figure that out in time. Thank you all again... what an AWESOME group of people you all are, and I am so thankful I have your support during the hardest thing myself and my family have ever endured. God Bless all of you, and **thank you** Larry
Old     (domin8)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-15-2010, 1:53 PM Reply   
As a general safety practice when another boat is following, passing or comming towards us the tow driver raises their arm to signal our rider (and or acknowledge down rider boat we see them) and our rider remains behind the boat until they can verify.
Is this a standard practice for others ? we do this as a rule same as putting up the flag when our rider is in the water.

Best wishes to those involved.
Old    kidrik            06-15-2010, 7:21 PM Reply   
Great news!!! Thanks for sharing. We've had a couple of miracles this past month, and I wish these two the best! Here's to a quick recovery, and I hope they can both get back home to their families very soon! Good luck
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-15-2010, 11:04 PM Reply   
Awesome... glad to hear the good report.

It's weird having never ridden on the delta or a similar water way.... I would imagine the "close calls" I have experienced on local lakes are no where near the normal passings and standard behavior of the delta.
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-15-2010, 11:36 PM Reply   
damn
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-16-2010, 12:14 AM Reply   
Ditto