Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    wakeryderx5            03-29-2003, 6:31 PM Reply   
Do any of you ever have problem with the steering of your Sunsetter VLX? I just bought the boat on Friday and it is a 96, the steering is UNBELIEVABLY tight. As in its hard to turn the wheel with one hand. How is the steering set up in 96s (hydrolic/cable), and is there a way to fix this? Thanks for any help!
Old     (g_miller)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-30-2003, 6:22 AM Reply   
ELLIOT, I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM IN MY 98. I HAD TO REPLACE THE CABLE LAST YEAR. i THOUGHT IT WAS KIND OF WIERD THAT A 4 YEAR OLD BOAT WOULD NEED A STEERING CABLE. IT COST ME ABOUT $140 TO DO IT MYSELF. IT WAS'NT HARD AT ALL

HOPE THIS HELPS
GERG
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-30-2003, 6:34 AM Reply   
Greg is correct I had the same problem in a 2 year old boat. I was told what makes them wear out fast is if water is left in the boat for long periods.

Travis Farber
Wake Me Products
www.Wake-Me.com

Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-30-2003, 9:50 AM Reply   
Most boat manufacturers use a Teleflex brand cable. There is an upgraded cable that Morse makes although either will work.

I would install a zerk fitting on the new cable before installation so that the cable can be lubed on a regular basis.

Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-30-2003, 8:17 PM Reply   
bought it, huh? congrats!

i just replaced mine a couple mos ago - $145 from skidim.com. it takes the 17' cable. it was stiff most of last season, and then the first time i took it out this year you could barely turn it with BOTH hands. new cable totally fixed the problem.

also, check out the steering linkage under the engine. mine was rubbing back & forth against a brace in the 'glass, and the rubber seal on the end of the cable wouldn't stay in place. the mount screws are longer than they needed to be, so i put some nuts under the aluminum angle to hold it up higher so the cable wouldn't rub. also there was no center bilge drain, so water sat in my bilge all the time. i put a drain plug in the ski locker too. haven't had it out much yet, but should be a lot better, and the bilge stays totally dry now.
Old    wakeryderx5            04-02-2003, 9:40 PM Reply   
yea that sounds like a good thing to do. Was installing the center drain plug hard? I would like to do that but i am real nervous about drilling into my hull. And yea! i am official Malibu Owner! Realllly excited! The boat is in awesome condition! THANKS GUYS! i appreciate the help
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-03-2003, 7:29 PM Reply   
it wasn't that bad - i got over my fear of drilling the glass a couple boats back. i'm about to take the holesaw to it again for PerfectPass too. throw up yer goats!
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-04-2003, 8:08 PM Reply   
If you replace it yourself make sure you zip tie it up good,so it won't rub and wear the outer cover out.You should be able to turn that wheel with just your finger.DON'T drive it til you fix it,it could snap in half!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-06-2003, 11:15 AM Reply   
good point Rich. my original (i think) cable ran under a bracket for the gas tank, which wore on the casing. the new one goes over the top of that bracket instead.