Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-27-2006, 11:17 AM Reply   
Anyone know a good reference or ideas of safely taking an infant on a boat?
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-27-2006, 11:27 AM Reply   
I went through it last summer. Mine's been in the boat since two months old. I found the easiest way is to bring a small stroller and strap them in. I found a stroller that fit in my walkthrough, and with the wheels locked it's movement was restricted. The most difficult thing is the vest, finding one that fits, but doesn't leave them feeling too cramped.

It's rough, but can be done. Mine actually enjoys it for the first few hours. Anything longer than 4 or 5 hours is pushing it.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-27-2006, 11:44 AM Reply   
WEll we wont strap her into anything that wont float..my idea was to put her in to her carseat without actually strapping her in, and of course the infant life vest.

My wife is very paranoid, and afraid of the water herself, she wants to have her strapped to her in one of those baby bjorn thingies.
Of course my comment to that might have cost me a new boat...but it went along the lines of speaking of strapping her into(onto) something that doesnt float...

anyways.. anyone else??? It would be nice if they made a seat that would float and flip itself over if it ended up in the water...
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-27-2006, 11:45 AM Reply   
as Jeff said, its fun for an hour or so. I took two, two year olds and an infant on my boat last year(none of which were mine), it was fun for an hour then they started crying. Thats when I handed the helm to my wife and started drinking beer.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-27-2006, 11:51 AM Reply   
I understand that, but I left my wife at the dock to many times last summer while she was pregnant... she is not letting that happen again...

besides I am 5 minutes from the water, generally when my wife comes out we are only out for a few hours any how, or she is and then leaves, and has already made it clear that our baby is not allowed on the boat without her... darn it
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-27-2006, 12:03 PM Reply   
when my wife comes out we are only out for a few hours any how, or she is and then leaves, and has already made it clear that our baby is not allowed on the boat without her

boating in general is a very safe enviorment. I would be more concerned of the sun and dehidration to the kid. Both my kids have been on the water since they were a few months old.

When my oldest was a few months old, we put her in a car seat on the floor of the boat under the bimini so the kids are always in the shade.

I want to also add, im not sure how it works in your household, but your also the childs parent, and you too should have a say in the safety in your kid. Your not going to jeapordize your own child so do what feels right and safe for you guys. Your obviously not going to be gunning it around the lake with a kid in the boat. So just use common sense.
Old    ilovetrains            01-27-2006, 12:03 PM Reply   
OK - first of all you should not take out an infant that has nto yet developed the neck muscels to hold it's own head up. No idea how old your baby is, but I have seen this and it is just asking for serious injury. The life jacket is critical, must be something they can wear safely and comfortably. Remember they will be in a huge jacket that holds body heat. Also need some shade for them as well. I think they are better off being held. My daughters first ride was at 6 months. We did not push it, and were prepared to put in right away if things got weird, but she liked looking around and being dipped into the lake every once in a while.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-27-2006, 12:28 PM Reply   
i'll chime in

the Mustang Lil' Legends jacket is by far the best one on the market in my opinion. it has a strap handel on the back and it doesn't allow the child's head to sink below the surface. also very important, it has a strap that goes from the front to the back between their legs so it won't ride up in the case they go overboard. a must in my opinion.

mustang makes high end survival stuff too for the coastguard, so it's not some cheapo pos

http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&catalogId=10051&langI d=-1&productId=13357590

my wife's due in august with our second baby. our first is now 2 1/2 and she loves the water. when we first got our boat, she was nearly 2. i can't imagine bringing out a baby any sooner than 3 or 4 months. the comment above about them being able to support their neck is a very valid one. i don't think we'll be bringing our new one out until then and possibly our season, at least my wife's season will end after delivery. at least it's near the end and not at the beginning. :-) now i have to find a good portable honey bucket for my wife since she'll have to pee about every 5 minutes. :-)

possibly a combination beer bong porta-potty maybe! ;) just kidding, that's nasty...lol

(Message edited by brucemac on January 27, 2006)

(Message edited by brucemac on January 27, 2006)
Old    bocephus            01-27-2006, 12:37 PM Reply   
Hey, what about those new Byerlys?
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-27-2006, 2:33 PM Reply   
If you ask my mother, I was 2 weeks old when she first took me on the boat... butthat was 32 years ago. Get a car seat, strap one of the orange life vests to it, and put the baby in it on the floor in the shade.

Since your wife is so paranoid, you should get your baby (and your wife) into a baby swimming class as soon as you can. I think they have to be at least 4 months. But IMO, the swimming class is just as much for the mother as it is for the baby. Mom's can be awfully paranoid when it comes to babies and water.

Good Luck.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-27-2006, 2:47 PM Reply   
lol, that reminds me, have you seen that list of "things your parents used to let you do"

totally hilarious, at least for us 30+'ers
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-27-2006, 2:52 PM Reply   
Haven't seen that list, if you find it post it. Would love to see it.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-27-2006, 3:10 PM Reply   
I've been pretty luck with the wife. We had my daughter at Lake Havasu in the motorhome for two weeks when she was less then a month old. She's been on the boat no problems from mom during year one last summer.

My family has been on the boat as newborns, and skiing by 4. My earliest memories are flatbottoms and jet boats on Lake Mead and Parker Strip.

If you don't come from a boating family, it's tough to understand. My folks don't think anything of it, but other people think we're crazy.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-27-2006, 10:17 PM Reply   
We had a 8 week old on the boat last summer. Put a vest on her and one of us held her sitting under the bimini. She was good while all 4 of us rode and music was on. When the music stopped, she wasn't very happy. So the music was always going.

We had a blast and have some cute pictures of the evening. This was not the baby's first time on the water either. Both of her parents are quite good wakeboarders and it was hard on her mom to not be in the water through July. First chance the doctor cleared her for water, she was in the water on a board.

(don't forget if you are taking them out in the evening, they will fall asleep most likely and a blanket or towel is a good idea to wrap them up.)
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-28-2006, 7:35 AM Reply   
Ours wear a vest and are held. I don't like the idea of them ever being strapped into a seat in the boat but some do. Drive carefully and use a bimini.
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-28-2006, 7:58 AM Reply   
Gordon - Hyperlite makes a neoprene that is super soft and has the floation head rest and is better for the skin according to my wife. They also make a nylon one with a split head rest that looks good also.

I had do disconect the sub, but mine liked riding & sleeping at the drivers feet on extra jackets.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-28-2006, 12:55 PM Reply   
We had our baby boy out at age 3months. We would lay him in his car seat in the walk way just in front of the airdam. Because we got him in the boat at a very young age he is more attached to the boat than his toys! If he even see's a boat going doen the road now he go's ape sheet.. My wife is a safty NAZI when comes to him being in the boat, but that I can deal with.

Old     (tylers)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-28-2006, 8:37 PM Reply   
Here is a picture of our little one learning to drive. We've taken her on the boat at about 6 months old. She loves to watch the water spash and is always keeping an eye on the rider. We've always held her and kept her under the bimini. My wife puts her in a sleeper to help with the fair skin. Have fun and be safe.
Old     (leewilson)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-31-2006, 10:27 AM Reply   
I spoke to the harbor patrol regarding newborns. They do not recommend a life jacket at such a early age and do not strap the child to a car seat, would sink. They recommend the parent hold the child.

We took our son on our boat at 2 weeks old, wife was holding and we were only cruising. I have taken him alone sitting in a car seat or I was holding just cruising. When we wakeboard, my wife held him in a front facing bjorn. Works great.

He is now 8 months old, loves the water and enjoys going fast...

Will be moving him into an Hyperlite Indy vest now that he is mobile and able to stand and walk a bit. He doesn't like to be carried all the time now.