Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 05, 2004

Old    wakewizard            05-02-2004, 9:42 PM Reply   
I have been boarding behind a I/O for the last few years without any real pop off the wake. I've always thought that it was because of the boat. However, I have been riding behind a mastercraft x-starv, lately, and I'm still not getting any real pop. I can only get distance. I want to be able to get high into the air, so I can do better tricks, and I it seems that I can't do that. I have tried many different things to get pop and none have worked. I ride a L.F. substance 141 and the fat sacks are always full. Please, feel free to offer suggestions on how to get nice pop off the wake, thanks.
Old    wakewizard            05-03-2004, 9:44 AM Reply   
Maybe I should push off the wake when I do a jump?
Old    mn_vtec            05-03-2004, 9:59 AM Reply   
There are a lot of posts already about this but I'll answer you anyway.

Check out the "progressive edge" in a tutorial. That is what you need to do to get huge air. You don't need to "jump" off the wake, you need to keep your legs stiff, handle in and stand up tall. Cut way out, and wait until the boat starts pulling you back in. Dig down harder and harder PROGRESSIVELY so that you build up tension in the rope and do not let up until you go through the wake. Do not stop cutting when you get close to the wake, this will ruins all chance of getting huge pop. Hope that helps.
Old    mn_vtec            05-03-2004, 10:00 AM Reply   
I'll even make it easy for you:

http://www.wakeworld.com/Tricklist/TrickTip002.asp
Old    murrayair            05-03-2004, 2:00 PM Reply   
Like Travis said, get some kind of a tutorial like the Detention or Higher Learning dvds. Also look into a subscribtion to WBM, they have a lot of helpful tips.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-03-2004, 2:50 PM Reply   
Really try to load the line with as much tension as you can. When you reach the top of the wake, let it all out. This will catapult you up. It is not nessesary to be hauling ass into the wake either. HTH
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       05-03-2004, 3:31 PM Reply   
OK. I suck and I'll admit that, but Paul, it's my understanding of the Physics behind the line loading and progressive edge that while the boat is moving forward and you are pulling against the boat by edging to the wake, the tension and "energy" will be building up in the line.

You want to keep all of that energy in the line as long as possible. Thus, you never let off by flattening out your board, or letting the tension off the line. When your board leaves the wake there's no friction to hold the tension in the line any longer and the energy will automatically be released catapulting you into the air.

That said I have had a few instances where I've acutally been able to make all of the progressive edge planets align and gotten some huge air. The landing is another problem.
Old    xxplosive            05-03-2004, 5:14 PM Reply   
Just some brief wake physics...
Speed into the wake determines how far you will go, not how high
Your edge, tension in line, and the buildup of water underneath your board make you pop.
Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-03-2004, 5:28 PM Reply   
true but you still have to stand tall you can get pop with 2/5ths of fark all line tension by standing tall or as someone once put it to me stomping down on the the wake as your going up it (exactly the same as standing tall just a different way of describing the action) It may take a few attempts to get the timing right but you'll feel it when it happens.
Once you have that and you add in strong progressive edge which will = really good line tension (loading the line) you will be able to get insane pop
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-03-2004, 8:20 PM Reply   
Eat your spinach Kris.
Old    hoochieman89            05-03-2004, 8:41 PM Reply   
JUMP HIGHER! lol anyways Progressive cut, stand tall through the wake, and suck ur knees up
Old     (afwakepilot13)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-04-2004, 4:12 PM Reply   
Like they all said, progressive edge, stand tall, but try to hold your edge all the way up the wake, don't flatten out, and keep the both hands on the handle and keep it down low (so it stay tight in the air and you maintain control).