Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old     (greggh)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-21-2005, 6:40 PM Reply   
These are two things that do not seem to go together very well. A boat that both skis and wakeboards well. I am an I/O owner and have never really played behind a tournament boat much, so I don't know what I am missing as far as handeling and wake size with a tournament boat. The boat I own now is a 16 foot Century with a tower and water jugs to create a wake. It has a very small wake for skiing and a decent wake for wakeboarding when weight is added. I usually ski about 6 am and wakeboard at all other times, and usually not on the same trip. I need a boat that does both well, if possible. I am a good skier, but have never skied a course and am still progressing. I am a good wakeboarder that is starting to pull 360's and inverts but am still progressing. I am going to buy a new or slightly used tournament boat in the spring. The three boats companies are narrowed down to Correct Craft, Malibu, and Master Craft. I need feedback on personal related experiences in this area so I can buy the perfect boat. I have thought about buying a sick wakeboard boat and an older ski boat. This just creates more problems I think. Will I notice the bigger wake that the wakeboard boats produce when I ski? I apologize for all the information that I wrote, but I want to get the important information for my specific situation out there so I can get some good related feedback. Lets talk.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       10-21-2005, 8:04 PM Reply   
V-drives are the best for wakeboarding and will always give little more wake than you want for good skiing. If you want a boat to do both perfectly IMO there isn't one out there. The ones that try are sometimes referred to as dual purpose or dual sport boats. You can get a good direct drive boat with ballast if you ski more, but if you board more you will end up wanting more wake. So it's very important to first determine which engine configuration you want then go and test drive each manufacturer's products. That might be more difficult if you're buying used.
So, try to narrow your choices down and ask opinions and post pictures. You will get a ton of feedback.
And don't wait till spring, everyone waits till spring and there just aren't enough mechanics and shops available at that time.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-21-2005, 8:38 PM Reply   
If you are looking for something that can cross over look here. http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/255510.html?1129136003

Great ski wake. It has been skied in the course up to 36 @ 28 off with no complaints about the wake ( ican only go to 34@22 off). With enough weight (2K lbs) it makes an AWESOME wakeboard wake. OK I'm biased about thinking it is the best boat for your money, but I know alot of people who would agree.

VD will usually give the better WB wake and DD will usually give a better ski wake (IMO). There are others out there but since you are looking at CCs, consider this model (buy mine) .

I would second mbrown's comment. Don't wait until spring, now is the time to get deals.
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       10-21-2005, 8:52 PM Reply   
I too wanted a boat that would be good for both wakeboarding and skiing, a seeming contradiction. I board, most of my friends board, but my son skis (go figure!)

The first decision was DD vs. VD. DD is a ski boat first and with enough ballast, a wake boat second. A VD is a wake boat first and with the right design, a ski boat second.

I narrowed it down to an Air Nautique SV-211 and an 05 MC X-2. I demo'd both with my son. I liked the wake for boarding on both. He's a quickly improving slalom skier currently at 28-32 mph. He much preferred skiing behind the X-2 at those speeds, so that's what we got.

The new X-2 would also be worth a close look.
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-21-2005, 8:58 PM Reply   
The new X-2 is suppose to have a very good slalom wake for a v drive. Also the X-Star has a good slalom wake also between 32-36. Probably right there with some of their ski boats.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       10-21-2005, 9:00 PM Reply   
I can't believe you have not sold that boat, notidad. I really like the ski wake on the SN, and with a big fat seat it's great for boarding!
Maybe WA is just too far for some riders?
I had a 93 for this summer, it was fun!
Old     (greggh)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-22-2005, 9:23 AM Reply   
That stratch looks familiar notidad. Is it over by Wenatchee on the Columbia by chance. Does the house come with the boat. It looks like you have a sweet set-up. Thanks for the info , and your boat looks nice but I am looking for a new boat with all the bells and whistles.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-22-2005, 11:00 AM Reply   
i love my bu 21 xti for both
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-22-2005, 11:05 AM Reply   
my 02 bu wakesetter lxi is def good for both.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-22-2005, 12:22 PM Reply   
Gregg, Good eye! Actually it's Lake Pateros (just above Entiat). NW Crew goes every year this was my first. I wish I had a house there. That's Pateros Hotel in the background.

Haven't been actively pursuing selling it. Just word of mouth. However it went into the Boat Trader yesterday and will go into the paper and a few other places this week. Hopefully someone wants it. I'm willing to meet whoever is interested for a drive or delivery.
Old     (grampsrider)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-22-2005, 2:36 PM Reply   
i have a supra launch 22ssv that is good for boarding and skiing
Old    04wakesetter            10-22-2005, 3:34 PM Reply   
We enjoy our direct drive Wakesetter for both. Understanding that we are not strictly hardcore wakeboarders, the wake is more than ample with the wedge down and stock center ballast tank filled. Add a few passengers and the wake is tall and rampy. Pick up the wedge, empty the tank and the slalom wake is as flat at 28-32 mph. as any tournament ski boat I've been in.
The 340 hp Monsoon and a 4 blade SS prop are definately up to the task of mutiple skiers.

(Message edited by 04wakesetter on October 22, 2005)
Old     (wakinbakin)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-22-2005, 5:27 PM Reply   
I second the supra 22ssv, it's a great crossover boat and has even set the australian waterski record and it's a v-drive.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-22-2005, 2:32 PM Reply   
Don't know what you budget is, but a mid-90's MC prostar 205 will do both.. Add a little ballast and have a nice rampy wake
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-22-2005, 5:55 PM Reply   
Everyone who says they want a cross over boat ends up never skiing. Usually the urge to wakeboard is stronger. I'd say go for a v-drive. I'd bet you start wakeboarding more, and skiing less.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-23-2005, 6:55 AM Reply   
Eagle is dead on. I grew up skiing and still enjoy running the course. We use to have an 2000 205DD. Same hull as the X-2. It was execellent to ski behind and with added weight, it had a sick wake. I got tired of always stepping over bags and gear, and at the time we were boarding more, so I bought an X2(actually old X-Star, '01). I thought I would be giving up the ski wake, but it actually has an execellent ski wake as well. Especially is you only have a driver and observer. I run the course with it a lot, and could not tell the difference between it and the old 205. The Hull on the X2(05 and older) is an AWSA approved hull for pulling tournaments(of course in the DD form). If you are just recreational skier, then the other choices and bigger VDs will probably work fine, but if you like the course, I would get an x2 if your going for the VD.
Old     (kcsideways)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-23-2005, 9:42 AM Reply   
Buying new, my choice would be the Supra Launch 22SSV. Quality and purpose built for less $$ than MC/CC/BU.

Buying used, MC X-2/205V.

Just my .02 worth.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-23-2005, 9:56 AM Reply   
I bought a X-9 for the purpose you said. It works well for a cross-over boat. The slalom wake is bigger than the X-7, but the wakeboarding wake is better. This past summer I slalomed more than wakeboarding (too many others in the boat in the afternoon). For best performance, get the base motor with the PowerSlot tranny. Then put on a 3-blade Acme prop. Barefootable.
Old    septicwaters            11-23-2005, 10:19 AM Reply   
you might want to check out a Moomba LSV they have the ballast you can fill for wakeboarding empty for skiing and the hydraulic wakeplate that you control from a switch on the steering column trim up to make the wake bigger trim down to flatten the wake out.
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-23-2005, 10:53 AM Reply   
I second the X9...still slalom course capable wakes but fun wakeboard wake when ballast bags are full and people are added. Wakesurfing is decent as well. Throw an extra bag on one side and you can surf for miles.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-23-2005, 12:25 PM Reply   
I have a Nautique SV211. It's a good crossover boat but it really shines from the driver's seat. It really drives much better than any other V-drive that I have been in. When used correctly the wakeplate allows for complete control of the boat's attitude and wake. I have run a couple 34mph/28off passes in the course behind mine. It's a very versatile boat, I board, ski, surf, and barefoot behind mine. It does all of this very well with the stock ballast and wakegate.

I did not look at the X2 but I have heard very good things about that hull too.

It's interesting that I am seeing recomendations for the X9, I had heard that it has hard slalom wakes and small board wakes (actually from an owner of one).

I would say that you couldn't go wrong with a 211 or an X2. You should also take a look at the Malibu Sunscape too, it's a good crossover boat.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-23-2005, 1:14 PM Reply   
Greg, most all wakeboard boats have ballast bags you can fill and empty. Just FYI.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-23-2005, 1:15 PM Reply   
The X2 has a better wake for skiing than the X9 imo. I skied them both.
Old    septicwaters            11-23-2005, 4:01 PM Reply   
Paul,our guy here is coming from an I/O boat I'm just giving him some info.
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-23-2005, 6:07 PM Reply   
Correct Crafts sports shift.
Suppose to be able to shift to whatever you want to do.
Old     (tstar)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-26-2005, 9:21 PM Reply   
You may want to consider Tige's 21i or 22i. We slalomed and boarded behind both during demo(very similar between models) and went w/22i due to interior layout. Good slalom skiers will run the course shortline w/no problem and good boarders can throw all of their inverts and spins w/4 or 5 people in the boat (it has no ballast - 22i weighs 3,900 lbs, which is 1,000 lbs more than most tow boats that length). Tige uses a plate which allows the stern to sit deep for boarding and high for slalom.
Old     (greggh)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-27-2005, 6:26 PM Reply   
I had the opportunity to ski and board behind the Malibu VLX with the diamond hull and the 2006 Mastercraft X-2. The ski wakes were too big. I was airborne coming off the wake. I am sure I could learn to ski these wakes but It's not something I want to deal with if possible. I still have the Correct Craft SV-211 to try. I hope it performs the way I think it should. I am not sure if there is a boat that does both well. A lot of people say the 2006 X-2 is the best cross-over boat on the market. I hope that everybody I have heard from is wrong.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-27-2005, 6:50 PM Reply   
Gregg,
That's awesome you rode behind those boats. We had a similar situation about 1 year ago. We looked at Tige's 22i & 22v, malibu's VLX and 21 XTI, and a Mastercraft X-2, now X-1. We decided on the X-2. But our decision was more based on the dealer. Tige dealer was too far away, and we've heard bad things about our Malibu dealer. We heard good things about the Mastercraft dealer and they're really close. Plus we love the X-2 (X-1) for skiing, wakeboarding and surfing. The ski wake is a lot better than our old 18 ft Sea Ray.

Let me know how the SV-211 skis and boards!!! Otherwise I'd look at the Malibu XTI's and the X-1. I'll ride behind the new X-2 and X-15 in the spring. If one of them does it all better, we'll have a tough decision to make.