Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bg__dereks_mom)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-20-2010, 10:57 AM Reply   
I highly suggest " Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell. I read it a few months back and I'm planning on reading it a second time. The story takes place in the Afghanistan mountains along the Pakistani border. 4 Navy seals on a mission to capture or kill a al Qaeda leader. " Operation Red Wing" Only one Navy Seal, Marcus Lutrell survived to tell the story. This book truely describes the acts of heroism these Navy Seals go through during combat . A very inspirational story, and a great tribute to the Navy Seals.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-20-2010, 11:49 AM Reply   
Becky I agree, it was a good book. Scary how by not doing their job, what they were trained to do cost them their lives. All because of a fear of the backlash from goverment politics!
Old     (bg__dereks_mom)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-20-2010, 12:57 PM Reply   
So true Doug. It doesn't seem right that they had to make a choice of letting the farmers go. knowing full well that they would probably be ambushed. Only because they had to fear the punishment from our own government. So Sad.
Old    alanp            05-20-2010, 2:38 PM Reply   
i tried to read the lone survivor but i couldnt get past the seal bravado(.i.e. picking out seals in an airport etc) so i never finished it. you mention some other angles that interest me so maybe ill pick it up again.

the book "manhunt" is a great read too. its about the first 12 days after the lincoln assassination and the hunt for JWB.

another must read is "into thin air" a book about the everest disaster in 1996(most casualties of any everest summit attempt).

any other non fiction suggestions?
Old     (bg__dereks_mom)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-20-2010, 3:06 PM Reply   
Alan,
I have to agree . It starts a little slow, and there is a lot about training to be a Seal before it gets to the conflict. The training part was interesting to see exactly what they go through to become a Navy Seal. But the rest of the book is hard to put down. I suggest you give it another try.
Thanks for the other two recommendations they sound interesting. I certainly plan to read Manhunt. You might be interested in Seal of Honor By Gary Williams,after you finish Lone Survivor. It is the story of Lt. Mike Murphy, one of the Seals in Lone Survivor that didn't make it. I havent read it yet, but plan to real soon. Another real good book is "Heart of a Solider". About Rick Rescarla. He saved 2,700 people on 9/11 before being killed when the towers fell. He also just happened to be one of the soldiers during the Viet Nam battles that "We were Soldiers" was written about.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-20-2010, 3:15 PM Reply   
I Have not read Lone Survivor, perhaps I might pick it up. I rarely get a chance to read for enjoyment. It's usually tech stuff and trade mags these days. However over Christmas my wife gave me The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. I enjoyed it thoroughly and highly recommend it. It is the story of an aspiring open wheel driver, the loss of his wife, the battle with the in-laws and his eventual success as a driver and father. All narrated by his dog, Enzo. Could the best book I have read in a very long time.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       05-20-2010, 5:51 PM Reply   
Great recommendation... I can't wait for the movie!
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-20-2010, 7:02 PM Reply   
I'm an avid reader of Viet Nam war stories. If you like them check out "To The Limit" by Tom A Johnson, "Hill 488" by Ray Hildreth and "The killing Zone" by Fredrick Downs. All excellent books. I am currently reading "Given Up For Dead" by Bill Sloan. It's about the battle for Wake Island at the start of WWII. It is pretty scary how unprepared we were.

Thank you to all of our service men and women.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-21-2010, 7:08 AM Reply   
Jaegermaster,try get your hands on "Word of Honor" by Nelson de Mille.It's about a massacre in Nam and the subsequent trial. It's fiction but de Mille was a platoon lieutenant there during Tet so has incredible insight and empathy. One of the best books I have read.
Old     (bg__dereks_mom)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-21-2010, 8:33 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the great recommendations. Looking forward to reading some of these books.
Jae G Master, I tend to favor the Viet Nam war stories too. I have heard about "Hill 488." I have read "One Shot One kill" by Charles W. Sasser. Isn't he the co- author of Hill 488? I have also read "Marine Sniper," and "Silent Warrior," all these books were about Carlos Hathcock, a marine sniper with 93 comfirmed kills. All were good books.
A few more are, Tiger Force by Michael Sallah and Mitch Weiss. About the discovery (36 years later) of the arocities that Tiger Force Commited. Rites of Passage Odyessy of a Grunt by Robert Peterson. This was a very good book, with a first hand look at his experience in Viet Nam, ( he was seriously wounded) and his struggles with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Keep the recommendations coming
Old    deltahoosier            05-21-2010, 8:34 AM Reply   
Try Marine Corp Sniper by Carlos Babcock (sp?). Crazy read talking about his vietnam days.