Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-29-2009, 7:42 AM Reply   
Moon, They removed the spray pockets, the transom is very different, the top deck is about 3-5 inches taller, and the engine bay has been shortened a bunch to make the interior bigger. But yes the forward part of the hull is identical.
Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-29-2009, 8:16 AM Reply   
Thanks Alan. What are the spray pockets (still learning)?
Old     (jumpman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-29-2009, 3:55 PM Reply   
Spray pockets are to help knock down spray for shortline slalom skiing.
Old     (motorcitymatt)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-29-2009, 7:13 PM Reply   
MB doesn't have to resort to gimmicky trim tabs, wake plates to get a awesome surf wake. Supurb hull design and "HUGE" (Thanks Paris Hilton) ballast is all you need. The extended vee hull in the stern on the wide body should only boost the size of the already tsunami like surf wake of MB's. I cannot put into words how much I LOVE the pumpless ballast on my B52... It's just "Huge"
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-29-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
Trim tabs really help with cleaning of the surf wake. I have never seen a boat that they didn't help. I bet that if it was installed it would make it even better.
Old     (h20proof)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-30-2009, 1:33 AM Reply   
B52 Owners, please advise:

1) Is there an option to have MB add the forward ballast tank on the B52's ? (like on the 23 foot version?) ....just thinking that you might need some weight up front for surfing, or am I mistaken?

2) How does the surf wake look on BOTH sides? Or is one side better?

3) If anyone has pics of the 08/09 B52 tribal interiors, please post. They don't show the interior on their website.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-01-2009, 4:27 PM Reply   
unwrapping boat now... Yes, i do have an affiliation with MB as they provide me the demo boat.

That being said, holy s**t, this boat is amazing. the interior is huge, the boat is huge but it's not (only 21), the trailer rode incredible, the vinyl is thick and soft with different textures... hoping to drop it in tomorrow.

If you are in the market for a boat, i'm pretty sure you can pick one of these up pretty reasonable and you'd be crazy not to check out the TWB from MB. Initial impressions this is one of the nicest boats I've seen. (yes, i'm sure there are ownership goggles but i've never done an "OH S**T" like i did with this boat.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-01-2009, 4:42 PM Reply   
Ditto.... I picked mine up at the PCM plant in SC. The guys at PCM and I both went "Oh S**T" as well, while we were unwrapping it. Wait till you get it on the water.
Old     (jrbishop4)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-01-2009, 4:49 PM Reply   
Ian let me know if you are going to drop it in the water and need a 3rd to ride. I am always for it.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-01-2009, 6:10 PM Reply   
Justin, sent an email, bad pic sorry.

Upload
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-01-2009, 8:10 PM Reply   
Ian, man that is tight. Old lady is gone to Chicago for the weekend and the kids are asleep. So Dad is finding happiness by combining Grey Goose, Lo-Carb Monster, and Wakeworld, gotta love it. Anyway, that last picture with your tow rig hooked up to that sweet virgin biatch is soo sick it makes me want to hurl.

P.S. Hook me up ASAP
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-01-2009, 9:31 PM Reply   
Does MB have an option for snap in carpet?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-02-2009, 7:49 AM Reply   
^^^ I don't know for sure. MB seems like the kind of company that would do whatever you want if you custom order it. If that's what it takes to get you in an MB, I bet it could be worked out. Take a look at the carpet in my boat (4 pics up). It's easy to imagine it being snap in.

On the other hand, I don't see why so many people want snap in carpet. I plan to just shampoo my carpet once a year. And if I need to I'll replace it in a few year... it's super cheap to do so.
Old     (pureblue)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-02-2009, 9:23 AM Reply   
So Ian do you have to drive it all the way out to Michigan if you have a problem? I have really been looking at MB since you mentioned it to me, but it seems like the Fenton dealership is the only one even remotely near the midwest.
Old     (wackbag)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-02-2009, 12:24 PM Reply   
ixfe- The thing about snap in carpet is that you can clean it more often way easier. Spill something on it or just the mildew funk you pull it out and hose it off. I like how Malibu and Supra are offering a large "floor mat" that lays down for that reason. I've been following a couple threads where "G"rant has also been looking for places to get a custom fit carpet insert also. I've never had snap out or the floor mat, but I will never own another boat without it.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-02-2009, 4:11 PM Reply   
Built in carpet and snap in carpet goes far beyond carpet issues. It is a completely different way to build a boat. I like the MB style of build and would not trade it in a million years for what is sacrificed (IMHO) for snap in carpet.

A great compromise is the custom fit mats to go over the existing carpet.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-02-2009, 4:29 PM Reply   
Matt- I understand the benefit of snap in carpet. What I am saying is that you can just as easily shampoo carpet in the boat as you can hose it off out of the boat. It's a DIY job if you have one of those home carpet shampoo machine.

The downside of snap-in carpet is that it's ugly. There I said it.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Either way, it would never be a deal breaker for me.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-02-2009, 5:52 PM Reply   
ixfe, I totally hear you and agree with you that snap in doesn't look as appealing. Unfortunately, I am way to practical. I am all about function over form when it comes to boats.
Old     (stuntmonkey)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-03-2009, 4:42 PM Reply   
Went to the local MB dealer and had a good yarn with them, beautiful boats, the missus is in love with this green tomcat they have, pity its $90k
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-04-2009, 7:00 AM Reply   
Brett, you crack me up. I'll probably confined to weekend riding until June, next weekend is out due to Mother's Day (gotta give the wife some time off from the kids) but weekend after maybe?

Luke, the engine is a PCM so it could be serviced by a Nautique/Tige dealer as well if needed. The factory has someone there who deals in out of territory warranty claims to get them resolved.

Took it out this weekend and it's fantastic. Scott and Justin from this board both came out and rode it and they can comment on the wake since they won't have the "owner goggles". I thought it was fantastic. Surf wake was great too.. we put a 750 in the back locker and i think it might have been too much as the rub rail was creating a small spray pocket. Might try it in the bow next time... not sure. Also, a friend took some pics, hopefully he gets them to me soon.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-04-2009, 7:03 AM Reply   
I like snap in carpet myself......
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-04-2009, 8:12 AM Reply   
I took a set behind Ian's new boat this weekend, and it was awesome. Boat is absolutely gorgeous both on the trailer and in the water. The pics don't do it justice. Full ballast with a few people in the boat, and the wake was beautiful. Nice and clean with a lip on it that gives you a good boot. I think the thing that really sets the wake on this thing apart from a lot of boats I've been on is how clean the wake is. I can't comment too much on the surfwake bc I didn't surf, and I'm terible at it anyways. That being said, we had a massive wave back there. We also got the spray pocket mostly taken care of by moving a couple of us around a bit. We were slightly limited in moving people around to experiment as we had an infant an a young kid onboard. Unfortunately, my camera battery was dead. I'll try to get a few pics in the next couple of weeks, so we can have some non-owner pictures on here. I may even try to take the waterproof camera back there and get some pics from behind the boat so you can see what the rider is looking at as he charges the wake.
Old     (jrbishop4)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-04-2009, 10:26 AM Reply   
Ian once again thanks for the pull. The boat is great, and look forward to getting out behind it again soon.

The wake behind the boat is very clean and I was able to get a ton of pop without even cutting hard. It is a different wake than I am used to ridding so it took a few jumps to get the feel of it but once I did it was great. I had alot of fun and if I didn't just buy a new X2 in November I would be talking to Ian about buying one.

Just like Ian and Scott have said already, the boat looks great. MB did a great job on the fit and finish of the boat and it was very solid. After being in Ian's new boat and his old Tomcat I would say that MB makes just as good of a boat as Mastercraft, Nautique, and Malibu.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-04-2009, 10:50 AM Reply   
Justin, how is the wake different?
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-04-2009, 10:59 AM Reply   
Nice looking boat!

Just curious Ian, Is there no break-in period for PCM engines?
You went right out and pulled riders?

I remember a painfully long 10 hour period for my Mercruiser.
Old     (jrbishop4)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-04-2009, 11:07 AM Reply   
I am used to the ramp that my X2 has and the MB was more steep. I think if we played around with a fat sac or two in the front that it could mellow it down to more of a ramp but there was nothing wrong with the wake the way it is as long as you like a steep wake or you know it is more of a sudden take off once you get to the wake. Once I hit it a few times and know how I was going to pop off the wake it was great and I think I was able to get more pop off the MB wake than any other wake I have been on.
Old     (wackbag)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-04-2009, 11:19 AM Reply   
ixfe-
I guess I look at the carpet thing a little different. First of all by no stretch of the imagination is replacing (by replace I mean to do it right) the carpet in a couple years an easy task. Sure you could do the main cabin area but you'll see the seam all the way around the seat bases. I've seen that done and it looks like crap. Carpet is installed in boats before the deck with the molded seat bases is attached. It's put together with as little seams as possible.

Don't get me wrong cause I'm in total awe of MB boats. Probably be my next purchase. I'm just saying if its not an option by then I will have a large "floor mat" made to lay over the traffic area.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-04-2009, 11:36 AM Reply   
10 hours before you could pull a rider? wow. the PCM manual discusses the first 30 - 45 minutes of use which was done by MB himself for me as he took the boat out before delivery to make sure all was good to go. Anyway, it's all detailed here on page 25.

http://pcmengines.com/pdfs/manuals/owners/L510010-08.pdf
Old     (stillropin)      Join Date: May 2009       05-04-2009, 2:02 PM Reply   
Great looking boat Ian.
Will send you pictures of our F21 Tomcat and our return southern US lake tour next week.
I want to add the LED's guess might have to wait till next one.
Why are two rubicon speakers so damn much money, are they worth it?
Old     (pureblue)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-04-2009, 8:41 PM Reply   
Looks super nice Ian. I have basically been looking at MB boats non stop since you mentioned them to me If I ever get some money together I am going to have to get a test drive. In the mean time, more pics! I want to see some good wake shots :-)
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-05-2009, 6:49 AM Reply   
You know before this thread I hadn't given MB Boats a thought. Now I am looking at their website, building different models, researching them and checking onlyinboards.com for pics and stats. I think I might seriously consider one of these for my next boat. Only issue, a dealer close to where I live in Scottsdale, AZ. Closest one is 500 miles away.
Old     (pureblue)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-05-2009, 8:53 AM Reply   
I hear ya Amo. I am really digging these boats. I think the closest dealer for me is in Loveland CO. Or at least I wouldnt mind going there since I have family out there. Maybe the MI one is closer. Anyone having anything to say about the CO dealer?
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-05-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
Luke, you can come check out mine in Iowa anytime.

Amo, MB said you could get the boat serviced at Surf Side which is the new service shop there. He said he'd hook it up for you.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-05-2009, 12:00 PM Reply   
here are some pics....

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-05-2009, 12:39 PM Reply   
Is this boat available without the graphics? Just not my cup of tea. Other than that I love it! The ballast system is great!
Old     (h20proof)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-05-2009, 12:51 PM Reply   
1) Is there an option to have MB add the forward ballast tank on the B52's ? (like on the 23 foot version?) ....just thinking that you might need some weight up front for surfing, or am I mistaken?

2) How does the surf wake look on BOTH sides? Or is one side better?

3) If anyone has pics of the 08/09 B52 tribal interiors, please post. They don't show the interior on their website.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-05-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
Looks like you are getting prop wash. Any more pics of the surfwake?
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-05-2009, 1:03 PM Reply   
Sure, Adam you can remove the flame or darts and just get the deck, hull1 and hull2 different colors or all the same color, up to you.

h20

1 - Don't think that is an option on the widebody. next time I take it out I was going to throw 440 in the front to see what it did.

2 - end of the video shows the other side of the wake http://mbsports.net/model_view.asp?model=b52vtwb

3 - pics attached
Upload
Upload
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-05-2009, 1:18 PM Reply   
Beautiful!
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-05-2009, 8:49 PM Reply   
Adam - Check my profile for this same boat w/out the dart graphics. Mine is all white (even my tower!), but they'll build it however you like!
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-08-2009, 9:15 AM Reply   
I received earlier this week the below build pics of our new F21.. I can't wait for a pull.

Upload

Upload
Upload
Upload

Ken Land
Bullet Lines
www.bulletlines.com
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-08-2009, 11:15 AM Reply   
NICE!!!!
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-11-2009, 8:29 AM Reply   
Nice
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-11-2009, 10:59 AM Reply   
Hey Ian, what speed and line length are you riding in those pictures above?
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-11-2009, 11:12 AM Reply   
22.5 and I think we were at 70 or 75.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-11-2009, 12:57 PM Reply   
We were at 75
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-11-2009, 5:35 PM Reply   
Don't care much about the surf wake, but the Wakeboarding wake looks excellent.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-12-2009, 6:36 AM Reply   
I agree, that's not the best looking pic of a surf wave I've seen. That being said, I think he'll get the surf dialed. All that was done was filling the stock ballast on one side and a bag in the port locker. We were slightly limited in our ability to move weight around bc we had an infant on board and were trying to avoid riling mom...
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-12-2009, 9:40 AM Reply   
Take this for what it's worth (not much), but here is the surf wake on my MB TWB (same boat). This pic was taken on my boat demo under the following conditions:

1) 12mph
2) Factory ballast only (900 lbs. in the port tank)
3) 2 adults on board (driver + me in the back seat on the port side)

I'm sure it can be made bigger, but that's a very surfable wake, no?

Upload
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-12-2009, 9:50 AM Reply   
I know you guys will argue, but a hydraulic or electric wakeplate would clean that up a ton! It doesn't make it bigger, but it would clean the face up.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-12-2009, 9:51 AM Reply   
I think it needs more in the nose, i'm going to try throwing a 750 in the walkway to see what it does to the wakeboarding wake and the surf wake... hopefully this weekend I can get some pics.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-12-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
It just needs to be rolled on it's side more. Then, it will be an amazing wave.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-12-2009, 11:11 AM Reply   
a friend of mine took delivery of this on Saturday.

UploadUpload
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-12-2009, 1:11 PM Reply   
Ixfe, 12 MPH might be too fast. That's what my wake looks like if I'm going too fast. Try around 10 MPH and take a pic for us. Not 100%, but I bet going slower will help clean that wake up.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-12-2009, 1:15 PM Reply   
Ian, to me it looks like you need to hang one or two people off of the tower on that side. I don't condone that kind of behavior, though
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-12-2009, 2:38 PM Reply   
Bryan - good suggestion. I will slow down next time I'm out (hopefully this weekend). I think more people in the boat might also help. I bet the wake is very sensitive to moving people around. This TWB is a new model and not many people have them yet, so it may take some time to get the right surf formula.

Ian - I said as much on the MB forum... I dig that 220V. The graphics are very clean and classy. I also love the tower design... best MB tower hands down.

Here are the things I like about our boat better (I realize that nobody asked... I just like talking about my boat):

Size & layout... the TWB is 5" shorter but 4" wider (easier to fit in garage) yet it somehow holds 4 extra people.

Rear facing seatback - I like the rear facing seat back just behind the driver's seat... very unusual feature for 21' foot boat. I also love how they put the sub in that spot (see my interior pic posted above).

Radio placement... I like having the head unit on the left side of the dash, not the right. That way others in the boat can easily reach it, if necessary.

Transom step - I love the step that's molded into the transom... sort of like the new VLX. It's nice to have somewhere to sit back there.

Ski pylon - Can the pylon in the 220V be removed? If not, put another point in the TWB column.
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-13-2009, 4:51 AM Reply   
I posted these back in November, but since the topic is still ongoing...

Here are some shots from a demo on the B52 TWB. Setup was:
- right side ballast full
- 240 lbs pop bags behind driver
- 160 lbs pop bags in bow
- 3 adults, 1 child

I can't remember the speed we settled on.

Upload

Upload
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-13-2009, 8:05 AM Reply   
Again a wakeplate would clean that nasty prop was up.

(Message edited by duffymahoney on May 13, 2009)
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-13-2009, 10:11 AM Reply   
The boat just needs to be rolled more on it's side. Just like when wakeboarding -- clean up the wake by moving weight towards the crust.
Old     (h20proof)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-18-2009, 4:35 PM Reply   
Okay, anyone want to give their opinion on a B52 color scheme? I know it's ultimately my choice, but if I ever had to sell it I'd like something that people don't think is hideous. Vote for:
A:
Upload
B:
Upload
C:
Upload
D:
Upload
E:
Upload

You may not like my blue/black/gray color scheme....but if you had to choose, which one?
Old    K.B.C.            05-18-2009, 4:52 PM Reply   
I like the blue/black/grey color combo just not the gel design. If you're worried about resale you may want to reconsider the tribal flame thing. If it isn't already out of style it will be shortly.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-18-2009, 6:20 PM Reply   
I like the first one.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-18-2009, 6:28 PM Reply   
Option B....but I agree with Scott, there is gonna be a small market for the tribal thing.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-18-2009, 6:36 PM Reply   
hmmm, i could not disagree more :-) I think A will not turn out well with the deck and hull different colors. I vote for D.
Old     (standardboatco)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-19-2009, 6:42 AM Reply   
Option D.....maybe the pinstriping on the tribal could be black
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-19-2009, 6:48 AM Reply   
I like C.. Be careful with the blacks and dark blues, as you will find yourself paying to have the boat sanded when you try to sell because of the water spots.
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-19-2009, 7:22 AM Reply   
I like your color selections...

Upload
Old     (h20proof)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-19-2009, 9:51 AM Reply   
Thanks Dan. Does that black deck get much hotter than other boats? I've never had black on a boat so I'm curious.
Old     (goodwin)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-19-2009, 12:03 PM Reply   
I'd go with B

hahahaha
"you may want to reconsider the tribal flame thing. If it isn't already out of style it will be shortly."
hahahaha

The tribal is out of style huh?
I love it when I hear this every year..

2004 Malibu
Upload

2006 Malibu
Upload

2006 Centurian
Upload

2006 Moomba
Upload

2007 Malibu
Upload

2007 Supra
Upload

Yep, sure looks like the tribal thing is going outta style.
Pull yer head out folks.
Like it or not, tribal is everywhere in the boating industry.

(Message edited by goodwin on May 19, 2009)

(Message edited by goodwin on May 19, 2009)
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-19-2009, 12:10 PM Reply   
^ok...... teal was in style in the early 90's too and it died. Everything goes away at some point....then it comes back
Old    K.B.C.            05-19-2009, 12:15 PM Reply   
I bet Browny has a tribal armband tattoo. Yeah those are still in style as well buddy.
Old     (goodwin)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-19-2009, 12:21 PM Reply   
dang it Scott, ya caught me, how did you know?
put down the Haterade dood.
I'm just pointing out the fact that tribal graphics have been and still are offered by many boat builders.
It is up to you to determine if it is "in style".
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-19-2009, 2:54 PM Reply   
Here are some pics of our MB F21: just finished last Thursday, we are suppose to be receiving it tomorrow.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Ken Land
Bullet Lines
www.bulletlines.com
Old    septicwaters            05-20-2009, 1:26 AM Reply   
I like the new placement of the interior speakers
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-20-2009, 4:17 AM Reply   

quote:

Does that black deck get much hotter than other boats? I've never had black on a boat so I'm curious.

Not really. Maybe a little hotter, but white fiberglass baked in the sun vs. black fiberglass baked in the sun is still f'n hot.

As Scott Adams of 'Dilbert' once wrote:

quote:

If you are walking down the street with Einstein, and lightning strikes him, making him twice as smart, could you even tell?

In other words, there comes a point where it doesn't matter what color your boat is.

The only real pain with black is keeping it clean. You need to be vigilant as far as wiping it down, even going so far as to wipe down the deck between riders. If you don't....hello water spots...

(Message edited by dan.smith on May 20, 2009)
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-20-2009, 6:37 AM Reply   
While tribal may be in or out today, tomorrow or the next day, unless I am misunderstanding, the patterns on the MB are actually in the gelcoat and the vinyl themselves. All the other boats pictured are simply a decal that can be changed to latest graphics easily at any time (at least reasonably easily).

It is the difference of putting a temp tatoo and a permanent on your arm. If it is permanent, you better be darn sure about it as it is expensive to remove or change. If it is a temp, who cares what the future brings...

(Message edited by Schmo on May 20, 2009)
Old     (slax303)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Portland to Boston       05-20-2009, 12:43 PM Reply   
Well then lets all just get solid color boats. God knows we dont want to take a chance at someone not liking the look of our boat. Epic better make their nose a full "V" or else they're never gonna make it. Those are just "so not in"