Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-26-2008, 4:29 PM Reply   
I know a few people on here have talked about changing their own impellers.

I was looking around today and found the oil filter on the front starboard side of the engine, but looked and didn't find the impeller housing...anyone point me to what corner or give some instructions on how to locate it, what it might look like???

2007 Malibu LCR 320
V-Ride (i don't think that matters?)

This would really help me out, I'm trying to do some winterization/maintenance myself, and have never done it before on this boat.

Thanks in advance~!

tj
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-26-2008, 5:10 PM Reply   
Impellar is on the front of the motor or just under the muffler.
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-26-2008, 8:05 PM Reply   
It would actually be in the back of the boat as your motor is in backwards. It is easiest to locate if you remove the side panels in the engine compartment, look for a round housing that has four bolts size 5/16".
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-27-2008, 2:08 PM Reply   
Once you remove the housing, you will need to pull out the impeller. The impeller can be pretty hard to remove - because it is stuck in there pretty good and it can be difficult to get leverage on it due to the placement (on the v-drive, if you had direct drive it would be super easy).

I had a friend help me pull it out. We both pulled from either side using needle nosed plyers.

Make sure to have a replacement ready if you need the boat right away. I originally was just going to check mine, but I ended tearing it up when I pulled it out so I had to change it regardless.
Old     (number55)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-27-2008, 3:16 PM Reply   
you actually just remove the cap....not the entire housing. Use some vice grips to lock on to it, then use a screw drive or a bent-nose pick to pry between the vice grips and the housing, it'll make your day a whole lot better.