Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-03-2010, 8:30 PM Reply   
I'm sure kicker makes a fine durable product, but mine bit it after one year. Prob had 50 hours of total use with the gain at a reasonable level. It was damp just from the nature of being in a boat, but never got wet or was around saltwater. It was a 08 ZX750.1. Again, not saying kicker sucks, but just venting frustration of my $260 waste.

I think I'm getting a JL Audio J2 500.1 to replace it. It will sort of match my other JL audio amp.

Yes, I made sure the sub worked as well as the power supply (the light was on). Also made sure the RCA's were getting signal.

Last edited by antoddio; 08-03-2010 at 8:32 PM.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-03-2010, 8:53 PM Reply   
Every product has it's dud. My '07 Kicker ZX700.5 & ZX650.4 are doing just fine.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-03-2010, 8:53 PM Reply   
Don't waste your money on the J2 get the real deal get the slash 500.1.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-04-2010, 7:39 AM Reply   
If purchased from an authorized dealer, then I believe it should carry a 2 year warranty. But based on the price you indicated paying, I'd say it was purchased used or from a non-authorized dealer.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-04-2010, 9:24 AM Reply   
Yeah pretty much par for the course as far as I am concerned. I have replaced more kicker amps in the boats we service then I care to count. I would look for a true marine amp and get the best one for your buck. I run clarion marine amps. Now they are no wetsounds by any stretch but for a low budget amp they sure do get the job done. I have had mine for 3yrs and the are holding up great. If I had the coin I would get wetsounds amps....if budget is an issue get the clarion marine amp.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-04-2010, 9:42 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear your luck Todd. You say the amp is wet, if so, that is probably the problem.

Despite the amp being down, and despite the questionable lack of a warranty, had you considered shipping it in for repair? The fee is very nominal, and the turnaround is lightning - fast! You can be back in business for way less than what it will cost you to purchase another amplifier. Just because it is broken does not make it trash. You can call us at (800) 256 - 0808 and ask for Customer Service. Tell them your problem, let them know you think you got it wet and that you think you are out of warranty. They will still be real happy to help you out! You will get an RMA number and ship it to us. Usually it will be back to you in three of four days.

If you are looking at replacing with a true marine grade amp, you can still go Kicker. We have a nice lineup of marine amps, with features that will fight damp conditions. The ZXM540.2 will deliver 450 watts to a 4-ohm sub in bridge mode, or you can use the ZXM700.5 as a total in-boat replacement amp that will deliver 420 watts into 2-ohms. with 65 - 75 watts on four-corners into 4-ohms.

Regardless what you do, find the source of your moisture and take steps to minimize it. Even the best marine amp needs to be mounted high and dry. A little dampness sometimes discolors the outsides and that is ugly, but it doesn't make something quit working. It sounds as if somehow somethig happened to get water inside. Find that water source and "turn off the valve" , and you will be in a lot better shape with whatever amp you decide to put back in there.

good luck!

Phil
Kicker
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-04-2010, 10:32 AM Reply   
I have rocked Kicker amps my entire life. I think I have had one go bad. All my kicker amps in my boat have gotten wet in some way or another and keep going strong. Sounds like an isolated incident to me.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-04-2010, 12:40 PM Reply   
Not saying its the cause of the failure in this case but we see a big problem with boat owners putting their boat into storage with a bilge full of water. Once the sun heats up the boat, everything under the cover is dripping wet and particularly in the locker where the amps are generally mounted.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-04-2010, 12:56 PM Reply   
I guess one thing that has not been explored yet is what sub and how is it wired
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-04-2010, 1:43 PM Reply   
Just called customer service, I'm going to try to send it back. Best to find out what is wrong with it and if I need to upgrade to marine amps. It never got wet, but I know the carpeting a few feet away got damp and the boat sat outside when it was raining maybe a dozen times. Also was not in heated storage.

Apparently the ebay retailer was not an authorized dealer, athough there are some authorized on-line retailers. I didn't care to spend hours researching that at the time...I just wanted an amp.

Anyway, we'll see how this goes. Thanks for the info Phil.
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-04-2010, 4:02 PM Reply   
I'd reccomend sending it back for repair! Phil helped me out getting my 700.5 repaired last month after it got wet and I'm glad I did. The cost was way less than buying new, they were fast, and friendly.

A++++++++
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-05-2010, 10:59 AM Reply   
Todd-

Good to hear. Now, lets make sure the sub is wired properly to the amp for when it returns! What subwoofer do you have? Dual or single coil? what are the coil impedances?

Let's figure that out, so we can wire the sub up to the amp in a manner where the amp and sub have a good match-up electrically!

Phil
Kicker
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-09-2010, 9:25 AM Reply   
As far as I can tell I have a Polk Momo in a sealed fiberglass/plastic box. I got them out of a nautique.

Here are the specs I believe...
10" 4-ohm subwoofer
metalized polypropylene concave cone with high-roll butyl rubber surround
non-resonant, heavy-gauge stamped steel basket
professional grade, nickel-plated, locking push terminals
power handling: 50-300 watts RMS
peak power handling: 600 watts
frequency response: 24-200 Hz
sensitivity: 86 dB
top-mount depth: 5-3/4"
sealed box volume: 0.66 cu. ft.
suitable for marine use
Recommended Q-Logic Box Type: 1

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7J2nD9S...MO-MM2104.html

Thanks again
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-09-2010, 11:56 AM Reply   
Todd,
That is a good woofer in a bad box. Also, the Q-logic boxes are very cheaply made. Transfer that same sub into a bass-reflex enclosure that is correctly aligned for your sub and you will be shocked at the difference in performance.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-09-2010, 4:32 PM Reply   
@ david earmark, what do you think of the kicker subs that are in a factory box ?SKM10 ? I don't have the catolog with me but as far as I know they only make one 10" marine grade in a box. Also I was thinking of getting the ( I think ) it's kicker 700.5 marine grade amp( 5 channel ) . Any input would be great.

Last edited by surffresh; 08-09-2010 at 4:38 PM. Reason: misspell
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-16-2010, 2:27 PM Reply   
$69 bucks to fix. I didn't get all the details, but it was something about power suppy. Said it was water damage, but that may have been the easy answer since I said it was in a boat and didn't know if it was water damage. Anyway, I'll be happy to have it back in a few days and for about $81 total, which included my shipping to their facility. Much better than a new amp!
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-17-2010, 7:07 AM Reply   
Sounds like the woofer is appropriate for the amp and vice-versa. I would consider what David said about a ported/vented box.It will hammer a lot harder!

Glad you got it fixed. that sounds like a good deal!

Phil
Kicker
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-17-2010, 7:26 AM Reply   
$81 is way cheaper than a new amp! Sounds like Kicker hooked you up!
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-17-2010, 7:55 PM Reply   
Wow, I got my amp back fast...well it's noy my amp, but it's looks pretty much like mine. Mine had a broken foot and this one doesn't. Good deal!
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-18-2010, 10:49 AM Reply   
Todd, unless there was some crazy freak thing that happened, it is your amp. They saw the broken foot and replaced it as part of courtesy. That part was basically free! If you check the serial number on the amp, you will see it is the same. I am glad you got it back so quickly!

Phil
Kicker
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-18-2010, 12:13 PM Reply   
I've had great luck in the past with Kicker amps. My old boat was a closed bow Supra, and if I took water up onto the bow, it would go into the air intake. Well, before i really knew about that and sealed up the tube coming out of that air box, I dripped a bunch of water right onto a Kicker amp below the air box and shorted it out. I knew what had happened pretty much right away. I pulled the amp out, took the cover off, and let it bake out in the sun on the deck. Later that day i reinstalled it, and it worked fine for years after that....
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-18-2010, 8:10 PM Reply   
Yea, that's nice that they replaced the foot...it didn't look like just a simple piece to replace. Great service! I think it was only out of my possession for a week and a half!