Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old                12-16-2003, 4:31 PM Reply   
I'm interested to buy a good camcorder to capture and edit action videos like surfing/wakeboarding and I'd like to know if CANON GL-2 is a good one for it?

I took a price in a store in NY and they give me around $1,600!

My friend has a XL-2 and is really awesome!

Thanks a lot,
Old                12-16-2003, 4:37 PM Reply   
Another question that I have, is which kind of hardware I've to buy to do some editions...'cause now I'm using a lap-top, but I know that I need a big and good HD, Video card etc...

Thanks.
Old                12-16-2003, 9:47 PM Reply   
WHATS GOING ON!!! yeah i also own a canon gl2 and it kicks AZZ!!!! a few things to think of
EXTRA BATTERY
IF U HAVE THE MONEY
A SWEET LAPTOP WOULD BE BEST CASUE THAT WAY U CAN EDIT ON THE RUN
DEFINIETELY
MAYBE AN EXTERIOR LIGHT
AND A WATERPROOF CASE
THE ONLY LENS WORTH MONEY
MIGHT BE THE WIDE ANGLE
cause with good editing software (vegas by sony) u can make it appear fisheye and with the cameras greap optical and digital zoom (probably a mile) no need for an exterior zoom lens
cheers let me no what u decide!!!!!!!!
GOOD LUCK
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-17-2003, 12:48 AM Reply   
Raphael,

1. Be careful with a lot of stores in Brooklyn, NY. There are a lot of shady deals there. It'll seem like you're getting a great deal, when in reality you're not going to get what you want. Read this article for more: aid,107855,00.asp,http://pcworld.shopping.yahoo.com/yahoo/article/0,aid,107855,00.asp .

2. The XL2 doesn't exist yet...maybe you're thinking of the XL-1s? Canon is likely to introduce the XL-2 pretty soon but it's not out yet.
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-17-2003, 7:32 AM Reply   
The non-US version of the GL-2 has a different name (I think it is the XL-2 as written above).

I bought a GL-2 this fall. So far I love it. The new sony vx-2100 might be a contender now as they supposedly improved the optics a little.

As Mike said ^^^^ be careful of the "greta NYC" deals. If the price is that low it is either:
1. Second quality (misaligned CCDs, etc)
2. Re-manufacture
3. Other Grey market camera.
You will likely not have warrenty/support. Might be worth the gamble, but not if the camera is low quality. B&H is a good NYC site. They know what they sell and can help you out even after you have bought the camera. Also, do not neccesarily buy the camera and accessories at the same place. Often one or the other is cheap, but not both.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-17-2003, 11:52 AM Reply   
Mike, that link doesn't work for some reason. I've had friends that tried to order really low cost items from places in NYC and if they didn't order expensive accessories then the item never shipped. They would just keep dragging out the ship date until you cancel the order.
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-17-2003, 1:31 PM Reply   
Thomas,

You are most likely correct about the US and non-US names...I stand corrected.

Bill, try this link: http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,107855,00.asp
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-17-2003, 9:13 PM Reply   
Yep, that one worked....
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-17-2003, 11:55 PM Reply   
For on-line retailer use www.resellerrating.com to check there ratings. You want to find a store with at least a few hundred reviews and 8 - 8.5 or higher.

I've purchases a lot of video accessories from www.bhphotovideo.com and have been very happy with their service and quality.

For computer hardware check out www.newegg.com or www.monarchcomputer.com

If in doubt check out the NY Better Business Bureau (if purchasing from a NY store)
www.bbbnewyork.org/businessreports Sometimes you have to enter the address because their url is not listed...

Mike is right-on about the price! You will hear horror stores of no USA warranties and missing upc labels from the boxes (so the retailer gets the mail-in rebate, not you...!) If the price is too good to be true then it's for a reason. When spending a few grand on a camera, $200 - 300 extra for a little piece of mind is worth it..

The GL-2 is a nice camera, you won't be disappointed!
Old                12-21-2003, 5:09 PM Reply   
thanks all for warning me!!!