Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ronnie1978)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-29-2012, 8:00 AM Reply   
Options:
2005 Malibu wakesetter 23 lsv standard ballast manual wedge $38,000.00

2006 Moomba XLV Gravity Games Edition 426 hrs $33,500.00 list

I currently own a 2004 Moomba Outback that has been my only boat. I am wanting more room with a good wake for boarding and surfing. I am happy with the boat I have but am tired of stepping over sacks and not having enough room for more that 4-5 people.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-29-2012, 8:15 AM Reply   
Dang, tough choice. If they were closer to the same price I would say the Bu but It might come down to which one was in better shape and had better options. I Ibelieve the LSV will need an addition 300-500 pounds in the bow if you want to use the stock 3 tanks and the wedge. The cockpit area will be bigger in the LSV. I am sure it will feel more plush then the XLV as well. The XLV has the play pen and huge lockers so you could probably swap in 1100's in the rear and put the 1100 gravity game in the front. Then you would have almost all the ballast(automatic and hidden) for wakeboarding and surfing.As far as wakes the LSV has one of the better wakes for all levels of riding. You can make it mellow without the wedge or add some peak with it. It will be super consistant and solid no matter how much weight you put in. I think the XLV throws a great wake to but it is a little more finicky and a lot more vert.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-29-2012, 8:34 AM Reply   
for once i will not suggest the moomba. the XLV has a horrbible wakeboard wake. very washed out and hard to dial. you have to ride really fast to clean up. check the moomba forums you will see.

i would definatly go for the malibu in this case.

have you looked at a moomba LSV? im on my second one now. they have more cabin area than a Axis A22.
plus you can have all hidden ballast. there room in the back for twin 1100 (i run twin 750. and you have the center 400, but you can add a hidden integrated bow sack for another 600 up front.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-29-2012, 9:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_killa_ss View Post
for once i will not suggest the moomba. the XLV has a horrbible wakeboard wake. very washed out and hard to dial. you have to ride really fast to clean up. check the moomba forums you will see.

i would definatly go for the malibu in this case.

have you looked at a moomba LSV? im on my second one now. they have more cabin area than a Axis A22.
plus you can have all hidden ballast. there room in the back for twin 1100 (i run twin 750. and you have the center 400, but you can add a hidden integrated bow sack for another 600 up front.
You have all hidden ballast? Did they start doing a play pen on those or something? I don't see how you could do more then the stock 400-500 front sack and maybe 300 or so in a bow integrated sack? The mobius LSV with a playpen would be sweet.
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-29-2012, 9:42 AM Reply   
the Fly High W711 is 650lbs and fits in the bow under the seats of the LSV. You will want to pull your front cupholders out when you fill it up though.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-29-2012, 10:16 AM Reply   
Does it actually fill most of the way up? I thought that bag in most boats only filled up to like 200-350 pounds. I guess even if it only filled u pto 400-600 it would help a lot. I would still like to see a playpen on that boat. I had it on my Mobius V and it was nice. I liked the extr arear facing seat as well.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-29-2012, 11:04 AM Reply   
As a Moomba fan - I say Malibu all the way. Not even close.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       06-29-2012, 11:21 AM Reply   
i agree with brett, moomba needs to bring the play pen to the lsv!
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-29-2012, 12:17 PM Reply   
yes i have all hidden ballast.
i had a 03 moomba LSV and yes a IBS would have been useless. the seats were only 6" deep. but my '11 with the new hull ('06+) is over twice as deep. so the underseat storage is actually usable and a IBS works great. yes the Moomba LSV still has the center walkway. which is what i prefer.

i would say filling the everything as full as it will go without poping the cushions you can get 2900lbs -3000lbs hidden (two rear 1100s + center 400 + IBS)

if you want more of course you could do sacks under the cabin seats as well.

Last edited by stang_killa_ss; 06-29-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-29-2012, 1:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersonicmi View Post
the Fly High W711 is 650lbs and fits in the bow under the seats of the LSV. You will want to pull your front cupholders out when you fill it up though.
I highly doubt that fills all the way, or even close.

I have that sack in my Malibu - it fills to probably 300lbs.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-29-2012, 1:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
I highly doubt that fills all the way, or even close.

I have that sack in my Malibu - it fills to probably 300lbs.
You have an older VLX right? I wouldnt' be surprised if you had similar room under your bow seats to his old mobius LSV. The newer LSV is much deeper then the older one. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it fit 450-500.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-30-2012, 11:46 AM Reply   
I owned an XLV and I think it's a tough choice but I'd go with the LSV for resale and wake. But I totally disagree with Cory that the wake is horrible. He never owned one and I put 400 hours on mine and we never had to ride over 23 mph and the wake was big and steep. It was touchy with weight side to side but to call it horrible is just not right. I can post a dozen videos of the XLV wake being huge and nicely shaped, yet I have never seen one video of the people complaining about it actually riding it and it being so awful.

Everyone has opinions on different boats and that's fair but the XLV is a great boat too and I believe that at least in my 08 the quality was top notch.