Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       08-09-2011, 8:00 AM Reply   
Does anyone have a membership for Vessel Assist? This is a tow company on the Delta if you don't know what I'm talking about.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-09-2011, 10:04 AM Reply   
never heard of vessel assist. But have always thought that all us delta riders should put together a list of each others phone #'s in case one of us gets stranded, especially late afternoon, evening - we can call each other for help.

the one time I ran out of gas, it was 930 pm, pitch black at the end of vics. Thank god, my 1 buddy who lives in disco was home and came to the rescue. If he wasnt, I would be sleeping on the boat till the next day for sure(NOT GOOD)

Just last fall, one of my buddies got stranded after sunset as well, and there was no one to tow him back(busted prop). Ended up calling me at 1030pm. I literally hitched up my boat in San Mateo, drove to Orwood, launched my boat and went to find him and towed him in.

If we had #'s of all the regulars - this could help. Id be in for that.
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-09-2011, 10:50 AM Reply   
I am pretty sure "Vessel Assist" is through BOAT US and West Marine. The boats here say "Tow Boat US". They all merged a few years back. They have tow boats all over the US. I am a member of B.O.A.T. US. Boat Owners Association of the United States

Don't quote me though check it out here http://www.boatus.com/
Old     (havasugirl)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-09-2011, 11:01 AM Reply   
Would never go without it.....works nation-wide, too. Have had to have them bring gas out, get pulled off sandbar, comes in real handy for the price.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-09-2011, 11:36 AM Reply   
i dont get it? is it part of the insurance or something extra you need to request? I had Boat US, and now have West Mar.
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       08-10-2011, 8:22 AM Reply   
Its like AAA tow insurance for your car but its for your boat. I got stranded with a broken idler pulley. 33 dollar part. I was 2 miles from Tiki. It was 9:30 at night. No one on the slu I was on. I had 4 young kids and 5 adults. I had to call Vessel Assist. I am not a member. The membership fee a year is $59. Not bad. I had no membership so they charge from his door to my door back to his door. The total cost was $866 for a 2 mile tow. 2.75 hours. If it was during the day, I could have been towed in for a case of beer. DAMN.

Miguel, I like your idea of putting a phone number list of buds near you. I know after the fact a few of my buddies said, you should have called me, I would have come and towed you. But thats becasue they now know the tow was $866. OUCH.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-10-2011, 10:07 AM Reply   
oh-ok i get it. Will look into that for sure(60 bucks is nothing for that security). But i seriously think at least all the WW's who are regulars at the delt can put together a list for emergency's only. Im pretty much out there every sat till its pitch black out from March-Dec. So if anyone were in a serious need of a tow especially at night when no one else is around - id go get them. This is especially the case when we get into the fall months of Oct-Dec - when no one is out there at all - even during the day, let alone at night.
Maybe we should start a thread on this??? what do you think?
On the vessel assist - do i just contact my insurance about this, or is VA a separate entity completely?
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       08-10-2011, 1:17 PM Reply   
My friend was telling me today, that he thought, his US boat insurance had Vessel Assist as part of the insurance. He is looking into it. But yes, contact Vessel Assist.

I totally want to get a CALL ME if you need a tow list going.
Old     (supratweaked)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-11-2011, 2:42 PM Reply   
MIgs,

You can find Vessel Assist aplications at West Marine stores. I have been thinking of getting it for peace of mind. Been very lucky so far. Every time I have needed a tow, one of the regulars have been out to lend a hand. Of course I have done the towing too when needed.

Vince
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-11-2011, 3:38 PM Reply   
I have Boat US insurance. It is an extra policy to cover towing. There are two levels. One only cover the first 50 dollars. The second and that is what we have cover the whole cost of a tow. Yes the service covers the delta area I had to use it once this year. I would never leave the dock without it.
Old     (ScottCroft)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-12-2011, 2:29 PM Reply   
Hi folks- I work for BoatUS. Our inland, freshwater on-the-water towing plan is a whopping $34 /year + $24 for BoatUS membership = $58 total. Run out of gas, run aground, engine break down, battery jumps included for any boat your own, borrow or charter (you must be the captain). You'll never have to call a friend in the middle of the night. If you tow your boat, for another whopping $14 for our Trailer Assist that will tow both a busted trailer and tow vehicle up to 100 miles, winch you up a slippery ramp, or unlock your vehicle. I don't think you can beat these prices anywhere. (also keep in mind most roadside assistance clubs don't handle trailers, which is why you sometimes see an expensive rig left all alone on the side of the road). Our services our 24/7 with nationwide dispatch. (unless we are talking Lake Michigan in February best- Scott
Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-13-2011, 12:35 PM Reply   
The Vessel Assist guy for the Delta/SF Bay is Phillip Delano, he writes articles and contributes pictures to the http://www.deltasuntimes.com/ newspaper. I've met him briefly seemed nice and knowledgeable.

Philip Delano
Vessel Assist San Francisco Bay and Delta
24 hour Towing and Salvage
Toll Free 877-4BAYTOW

Also my state farm insurance will reimburse me for towing expenses, may want to check with your insurance company. I did it 6 month later and they still covered it. YAY!
Cheers,
DC
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       08-14-2011, 4:12 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. I am going to look into it more. Sounds like a good idea.