Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jps912)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-08-2010, 11:52 AM Reply   
I'm Thinking about a trip there in Feb. I have been doing some research and it seems like it would be a pretty good place for diving and surfing. Ive been trying to find more information on how the disasters in Haiti have affected the Dominican Republic but I cant find anything. Im curious if anyone knows anything about it or has any recommendations on things to do or not do.

Im also open to other suggestions of places in the Caribbean to go. I would kind of like a place thats not a total tourist destination and relatively cheap.(if that is even possible in the Caribbean)
Old     (joecs)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-08-2010, 12:38 PM Reply   
We stayed @ excellence in Punta Cana two years ago. It was awesome. Best vacation I've had. We didn't dive. Some snorkling on an excersion. There is a little coral reef to the south where we did some snorkling as well. Punta Cana is on the atlantic side so the waves were okay. The north side of DR is the carribean so smaller waves there. It's all inclusive. It was a little pricey but cheaper than other places I looked into.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       11-08-2010, 4:56 PM Reply   
We stayed at the Riu Palace in Punta Cana. We got to our room and the TV was sitting on the bed. That about set the trend for how much we didn't enjoy this place. Although a beautiful resort they say all inclusive but you have to tip for eveything. Want water with dinner? better have your dollar on the table so they stop, want a refill on water, yeah thats another dollar. All the servers spoke Spanish and limited English, they were not friendly or helpful. To get into the theme restaurants you have to be in line at 7:30 AM to get a ticket or you can do the buffet every night. While hungover in line in the blazing sun at 730 am you are surrounded by people smoking cigarrettes which adds to the general annoyance.

I would highly recommend Jamaica over Dominican. We stayed the same amount of time in Negril at Couples Swept Away. Granted it was close to 1K more for 7 days however it was so much better. The staff was super friendly, they would bring you drinks whether you asked or not while on the beach, no waiting in line at the bar every 1/2 hour like the other place. To get in the theme restaurants you just make a phone call before noon. They cannot accept tips so no need for any cash in hand, and they treat all the guests equally due to that fact, and all the workers seem very happy to be there and ensure you are having a good time.

The beaches were comparable but there were way less people on the Negril beach than Dominican. Picture Waikiki crowded vs. Kauai crowded. Not even the same.

I will never go back to Dominican unless somebody gives me a free trip. My parents went 40 years ago and had the same impression we got four years ago. I could literally go on and on about how much we disliked DR and how much we loved Jamaica. And no we don't partake in the native Jamaicain "recreations", its just a much nicer place to be, more positive atmosphere by far. But like I said it was more expensive for our particular spot. Both had equally cool things to do off the resorts, pretty sure both are equally as dangerous if you venture out on your own, although I have heard many have gone and partied at local bars it Jamaica and it was all good.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-15-2010, 8:00 AM Reply   
I have looked at going to th DR many times, what always gets me is the mixed reviews. On top of the long flight times ( changes planes,ect) I have alwasy choosen not to go. I travel quite a bit for work and dont' like spending a full day of vacation traveling. I have been a few riu resorts int the past, and none of them have been that great. the only all inclusive resorts I will stay at are the Karisma resorts in Mexico.

http://www.karismahotels.com/

My wife and I go once a year ( at a min). we're going back down this wed. This is one of our favarite vacation spots to relax at. The price is hard to beat. for the last 3 years we pay approx $2k for 4 nites , 5 days, airfare and roundtrip limo transfers.

It's an easy 1.5 hour flight too