Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (heath)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-27-2010, 5:29 AM Reply   
OK, so I recently started a thread asking for opinions on which boat comparing and 09 SAN 230 against a 09 Supra 22 SSV.

I have since decided that I am going with the Natique now there is another delimea. I have the choice of a left over 2009 as described in my previous thread or a brand new 2010. I will try and lay out the main differences between the boats as I know them. There is essentially an $8,000 price difference between the two. Is this price difference enough to justify the 2010? The boats are essentially equiped the same except for the equipment listed below. Is that additional equipment plus a one year newer boat enough for that difference?

Differences:

New Links System
More Ballast 1075 vs 791
FCT 3 vs FCT 1
Z-5 Rack
Bow Filler
Sun Pad Filler Cusion
Rear Facing
Upgraded Gel Coat-Solid Hull Color
Upgraded Swivel Board Racks
Table
removable bench Seat
Heater

That is about it. Appreciate all responses.
Old     (bchesley)      Join Date: Apr 2001       01-27-2010, 5:58 AM Reply   
I am not a fan of the FCT3 on the 230, but that is a matter of tast. All things considered the leftover boat is still a bad to the bone 230. The sun pad table heater are all things you could add if you wantd the dealer to put them in. I say save the 8 grand...
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-27-2010, 7:32 AM Reply   
1)I dont know a thing about Links
2)More ballast-nice but ez & cheap to add. only 275lbs more
3)FCT3 easy to lower, looks good to me w/ Z5 cargo rack
4)Z-5 would be handy for surf boards and such, also a must if you have the FCT3 IMO and its about $2500 to add
5)Bow Filler $300
6)Sun Pad filler $300?
7)Rear facing seat - probably not more than $500
8)Gel Coat is a taste issue
9)Boad racks are nice if you dock often or tie up w/ other boats
10)table - worthless to me
11)Removable bench seat?
12)Heater $500

So you can add the bolt ons for under $2000 including an extra fat sac to get the ballast up to even. Everything else is really cosmetic. $6000 difference for a different tower, Z5 rack and gel coat. I havent seen the two boats but if it was my money and I liked the looks of the 2010 boat I think I would splurge and get it.

Oh and don't forget to call me when you are ready to break it in! If weather cooperates, I hope to ride on April 10th.
Old     (heath)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-27-2010, 7:37 AM Reply   
Adam,

snt you a PM with my number as I have misplaced yours. Give me a call when it warms up.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       01-27-2010, 7:39 AM Reply   
If that is the only difference there is still plenty of room on the '09 to negotiate... at least in my opinion.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-27-2010, 8:19 AM Reply   
Heath I sent you a PM
Old                01-27-2010, 9:06 AM Reply   
My 2 cents- Buy the 09 or better yet, find a leftover 08 close to invoice.

New Links System- No need
More Ballast 1075 vs 791- Your going to want sacks anyway
FCT 3 vs FCT 1- Both are nice, but fct 3 doesnt fold very low
Bow Filler- Never use mine
Upgraded Swivel Board Racks- Nice, but they can be added later if wanted
Table- Worthless
removable bench Seat- Thought this was standard?
Heater- Nice if you plan on riding when its cold, but not something I would spend extra for
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-27-2010, 9:11 AM Reply   
The rear facing seat on the 230 is not part of the wraparound like on the 210,so if you are not using it you have to store in one of the rear lockers or leave it out of the boat.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-27-2010, 10:00 AM Reply   
I'm going to be putting my '09 230 up for sale sometime soon. First, I've got to get it dewinterized, and get one of the handles on the FCT3 tower fixed under warranty in a few weeks.

The boat has right around 100 hours on it. I bought it sometime in May/June from the local dealership here in Chattanooga, TRC Yachtsales. The boat has all options except the air dam door (it has the trash can instead) and crest carpet. Off of the top of my head, I know it has the team package, full throttle package, z5 rack, zr 409, jump seat, sub, top stripe, etc. The boat is solid black, except for a red platform. The interior is white / grey with red piping. The boat is in perfect shape, with no dings, scratches, dents, skuffs, stains, etc. It was stored either indoors or under cover. it's still a very young boat and has tons of warranty left. The trailer was made custom by Boatmate. It has 5 KMC 18'' Rockstars on it, launch lighting, all LED's, swing away tongue, etc. The boat also has a set of Wetsounds 485 tower speakers on it, as well as the matching Wetsounds SYN 4 amp and the Wetsounds WS420 eq. I'm just selling the boat to open up my options for a 2010 model. The boat also has neon lights mounted under the z5 rack (which can easily be removed if you want).

I'm looking to get around $75k out of the boat. Let me know if you're interested!

tomgautreaux@hotmail.com
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-27-2010, 10:04 AM Reply   
Few picsUpload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old                01-27-2010, 11:40 AM Reply   
Sick boat! No offense, but I never understood the trading up every year that I see on WW. 100 hours is just broken in and the 2010 is basically the same boat.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-27-2010, 11:42 AM Reply   
I wish I had your dilemma. Maybe in a year or two. Here's how I see it, knowing full well it's all personal

FCT 3 - I like.
Z-5 Rack - I like very much but I tow 60 miles to the lake every trip and, I'm told it's not very convenient to put up and take down. (nor should you tow with it up).
Bow Filler - very worthwhile.
Sun Pad Filler Cushion - somewhat worthwhile.
Rear Facing - somewhat worthwhile
Upgraded Swivel Board Racks - worthwhile.
Table - worthless

Heater - valuable. I run almost the whole time I'm driving. Even in the summer -- it's useful for blowing biting flies out of the helm, especially around your ankles.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-27-2010, 12:01 PM Reply   
You can tow the boat for hours and hours at 80mph with the z5 up and it's absolutely fine. I talked to the guys at z5 before towing the boat to a tourny in nashville last year.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-27-2010, 12:48 PM Reply   
Alright, Tom's input changes my answer.

I'm a big fan of the looks of the FCT 3 and Z-5 in combination with each other. Together, the give the boat a real smart look.

It's an issue I feel so strongly about, that, it might tip the balance for me to spend the little extra and get the FCT 3 and Z-5 combination.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/673724.html

You can see my post under jb - John211.

That said, I not only tow every trip, I store in a garage with an 8 ft door at the end of every trip. I'd want to know if the FCT 3 and Z-5 combo can fold at all, and if so, can duck under the height of my garage. Somebody else can chime in but, I understand that the Z-5 installation is semi-permanent. I mean, you no more want to be taking it down after every trip than, say, your mirror.

Last thing, 'upgraded gel coat' sounds like a good thing, but 'solid hull color?' I got one of those. It's nice. But what caught my fancy last year was, a two-tone hull color. Whew ... very sharp.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-27-2010, 1:04 PM Reply   
No, it's not semiperminant. I can take the rack off completely in less than a minute. It's four push pins. That's all. Please go look closely at how one mounts at a boatshow or at a dealership. It's super easy to drop it down and fold the tower. You'd have no problems whatsoever getting the boat in and out.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-27-2010, 1:07 PM Reply   
Look at that last picture I posted with the neon. You can see one of the push pins with a little circle ring thing thatyou put your finger in on the back left portion of the rack up above that chick's hand. That's one of the four little pins that you pull out and then you slide a ball joint connected to that rod hanging down out of a notch on the z5. I can't tell you how easy it is to take it up and put it down. I even have a quick release wiring kit for the neon.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-27-2010, 1:09 PM Reply   
The z5 is the greatest option on the market by the way. You can stand on top of it no problem. When you're at a tournament or are tied up with friends, you can load all of your stuff up on top of the rack and get it all out of the boat. It's amazing.
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       01-27-2010, 1:47 PM Reply   
I would go for the leftover 09 over the 10, not enough differences to justify the extra coin. I would buy chattwake's boats over both of the other ones, that is a lot of boat for the money!
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-27-2010, 2:31 PM Reply   
It really is a good deal for the boat. Especually when you add up all of the little options like the 3k wetsounds system and trailer. The boat also has a heater, underlighting, upgraded chromoly (sp?) decals, bow filler cushion, swivel racks, etc. As far as I know, it has every option available except for crest carpet (which looks awesome but holds water like a mother) and the air damn door (which can be added for a few hundred bucks).
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-27-2010, 3:08 PM Reply   
Toms boat does look awesome! 100 hrs is nothing. Definitely worth considering.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-28-2010, 6:56 AM Reply   
Tell you guys what, if any of you pick up a 230, why don't you post up an idea of what you paid for it and what the options were so people like me can see what they're selling for. I saw a few posts from people who were being quoted a boatshow price of 88k for a 2010 230.

Knowing what I paid for mine, what I've got in it in extras, and the condition of the boat, I figure I'm asking a fair price.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-28-2010, 1:22 PM Reply   
I don't know much about the 230, other than the fact that I'd love to own one.

But here is ONE data point on price:

This is an '08 230 located at the local dealer her in Portland. I believe it was a demo boat so it has 30 hours on it. But it's being sold as a new boat (i.e. never registered).

The price is $72K (price not listed on the link below, but was in Craigslist last week, expired listing now). That seems very high to me for a 2-year old demo boat with no tower speakers and only 5.7L 343hp motor. But like I said, I don't know much about 230's. I just know that with prices like that, I'll never own one...

http://www.nwski.com/new_inventory_detail.cfm?id=169

Upload