Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (derek23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-13-2009, 9:50 AM Reply   
My buddy is looking for an O'Brien Vice 141. Anyone know where I can find one for a good price?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       01-13-2009, 10:09 AM Reply   
Hey Derek,
Check out www.marine-products.com. They have a 141 listed but says it's 2008 but the graphics show a 2007 so maybe if you called and talked to a salesperson, they will negotiate on the price. They ship anywhere in the country.

Hope that helps.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-13-2009, 10:35 AM Reply   
email me.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-13-2009, 10:41 AM Reply   
www.the-house.com

This is a great deal:

http://www.the-house.com/wkob41vi7zz-obrien-vice.html
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-13-2009, 10:43 AM Reply   
Shiat from The House, they are even tossing in the Liquid force MP3 Player for Free, they charge $139.00 for that alon.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       01-13-2009, 11:25 AM Reply   
Andy, with the LF player, that is a good deal. But I think that if it's not a big deal to Derek's friend to have the MP3 player, he could get the board for under $200 at Marine Products.

*Not trying to under cut The House because they do have some great deals, just think he could do better in this case.

BTW, just got my Decade from Chris J and can't wait to try it out next month in Mead. Have you ridden it yet? I've been on the Vice since 2005 so any input on what I can expect in the difference of the rides would be great. (FYI, I've been riding at 91 ft at 26.5-27mph on the Vice. Chris said I probably will be able to ride at a slower speed since he said the Decade is faster then the Vice).

Mahalo
Old     (derek23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-13-2009, 11:53 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. I have never ridden a vice. My buddy just wants that board and I ride behind his boat, so I may pick it up for him if I can get a great deal.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-13-2009, 12:01 PM Reply   
Ryan,

HAHAHAHAH I JUST GOT a couple of Decades too. I will be on it this weekend, I will let you know how she rips! I ride at 90 ft at 27.5, I have been riding the Player out that far, Chris mentioned to me that I could prolly slow down to, but I love being out that far and blasting off the wake.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-13-2009, 12:01 PM Reply   
BTW that is great deal on the Vice for Under $200.
Old     (derek23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-13-2009, 12:05 PM Reply   
Andy

do you mean 300?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-13-2009, 12:09 PM Reply   
I was refering to the Vice at Marine Products being under $200, that Ryan Mentioned above.

http://www.marine-products.com/product/7594/11/Obrien-2008-Vice-136-Blank

Although I didnt see it on that site for under $200.
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-13-2009, 12:17 PM Reply   
i really liked the "feel" of the vice when i had it. very wide, very stable. you won't need the crook fins, they looked more like a trip hazard (faceplant style) to me. it just didn't pop as big as i had hoped. it does not pop as big as a 3-stage. that was my only complaint.
Old     (derek23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-13-2009, 12:25 PM Reply   
My buddy is looking for a board with LOTS of pop. That is why he claimed he wanted the vice. Do you guys have any other suggestions?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       01-13-2009, 1:35 PM Reply   
Derek, the board on MP's site is listed for higher then $200 but I think if you call and talk to a salesperson, you might be able to talk them under $200, especially since it's listed as a 2008, but the picture they show in the add is a 2007. They are good guys there so give it a try. The guy I would ask for is Ryan in the pro shop (not me ).

Alan,
I used the crook fins on the Vice for the first couple of months because I was coming from the Vision which was locked in really tight once it was on edge. Once I learned how to hook the Vice up on edge, I didn't need the crooks any more. I think that board has a lot of pop but I ride pretty at a pretty fast speed so I feel like I booted off the wake.

Andy, I agree with you. I like riding far out and at higher speeds. Mainly because I don't like feeling rushed. I have more time to build my edge and speed to the wake. Let me know how the Decade feels. BTW, where are you riding this weekend because isn't the midwest in the middle of a blizzard right now?
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-13-2009, 2:53 PM Reply   
i loved how the vice edged good, but slide around when you wanted it too. i was hoping for huge pop with the vice, but when i rode and old LF subjekt, (previous shane) it didn't come close to it. since riding the substance and the watson, i know all of those boards pop more. i would advise your friend to demo. he may want a true 3 stage board if pop is what he is looking for.

ryan,
i rode with, and without the crooks and couldn't tell any difference at all. i figured if i couldn't tell they were on there, why use them. i did see where they dropped the crooks for '09. my wife even rode without them and loved it. i doubt most people will need them
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-13-2009, 5:22 PM Reply   
Post HiJack!

Good to see you guys are finally going to get to take the Decade for a spin! I rode it for a couple of months last summer and I think it is perfect.

Ryan, from your description of how you like to start out slow and build your edge and speed to the wake, I think you will really need to slow the boat down. In my opinion the Decade is so much faster then the Vice. I don't think you will need to ride a shorter line, just not as fast because the Decade accelerates really quick, you will get the speed to clear the wake from your cut more then from the speed of the boat.

Be sure to post a follow-up after you ride it.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       01-13-2009, 7:36 PM Reply   
Alan, I agree that if a rider can't tell the difference with or without the fins, then there's no need for them. I definitely noticed a difference when I first went on to the board but also, it comes down to personal preference like anything. No harm, no foul.

Jason, thanks for the input. I'll be trying it out in a few weeks so I'm pretty stoked. If I can indeed ride at a slower speed then great. One of the reasons I feel I like riding at a faster speed is because I'm a heavy rider for my height (5'5" & 220+ in the beginning of the season and then about 210 during the summer). I just noticed that when I tried riding slower in the past that I drown the board on the landings and was crashing a lot more. I'll for sure post a follow up after my trip next month.