Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 13, 2007

Old     (olgrayfox)      Join Date: May 2006       05-04-2007, 3:07 PM Reply   
On Friday, May 5th, 2007 at 3:30pm, the Palm Beach County Parks and Recreation Department notified us that the first SFWA event to be held at Lake Okeeheelee Park from 10:00am until 6:00pm is cancelled. Nothing like waiting until the last minute, huh? Apparently, our permit for the event (which has been in place for over two months) was issued in error by the County and was in conflict with a SkiClub event at the Park. The Park has five lakes, two of which are designated wakeboarding only. The SkiClub of Palm Beach County is having an event that will use the other three lakes and has successfully blocked our access from the other two lakes (which again, they are not even using). The SkiClub had the opportunity to allow us to use the lakes regardless of the misissued permits but choose not to. Everyone, this is exactly the reason that we have decided to form the South Florida Wakeboarding Association. Wakeboarding in South Florida has been run out by groups like this. This turn of events should be sickening to everyone who wakeboards and wakeskates. Our sport is under attack in South Florida and we have a long road to go to accomplish our goals, that message is crystal clear as I type this today. It is disheartening and extremely disappointing that this could be allowed to happen at a public lake.

The SFWA is currently pursuing our options in this matter but for now it appears we have been defeated.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause to those of you who planned to attend the event. It will be rescheduled at a different location in the upcoming days. For more information please visit www.sfwake.com.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-04-2007, 3:33 PM Reply   
I joined that club when I first moved to the area but quickly lost interest after a few meetings and hanging out at the lake a few times. It is definately a different style of enjoying the water than many of us wakeboarders are used to. Pretty much a bunch of hardcore slalom skiers, who all bring their own boats, and take turns skiing the course. Everyone skis behind their own boat and they hang out on shore in between turns. They are very focused on one thing, and I can understand how they would want to control the conditions. It is a great location, and they definately are well organized to maximize their use of the facility.

I wish you luck in finding another suitable venue, keep us informed.

The lack of good freshwater spots that are uncrowded in the area is the primary reason that I keep my boat in central FL at a friend's lakehouse.
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-04-2007, 3:48 PM Reply   
FYI...it's friday may 4th today.
Old     (olgrayfox)      Join Date: May 2006       05-04-2007, 5:45 PM Reply   
Yeah, sorry about the date mix up, I was extremely frustrated when I typed the initial message. It is truly unbelievable, basically they are claiming we don't have a right to be at the lake. It is really amazing.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-05-2007, 12:21 PM Reply   
I heard about this today from the guys at Coastal Surf and Ski, I couldn't believe it. There is no reason for the skiers to do this. I hope you get this sorted out Jimmy and find a place where things like this won't happen.