Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (fontain06)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-07-2007, 3:13 PM Reply   
So after seeing my friend start and maintain a successful business (escalade rock climbing gym), i got to wondering how i could go about doing something similar. Recently, ive been playing with the idea of starting (or trying to at least) a cable park in the Atlanta area.

The problem is, i have no idea where i would start or what the logistics of something like this are. Does anyone know anything about this? I dont want to get knee deep in loans and other things only to find out that its impossible to do.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-07-2007, 3:17 PM Reply   
You have to find water first. Latest news is that Georgia is experiencing a serious water supply shortage.
Old     (fontain06)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-07-2007, 3:48 PM Reply   
i know, i live there. our lake is about 25ft. low. im also still in college and cant afford to go out and do all of this tomorrow. im talking long run.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-07-2007, 4:33 PM Reply   
That's one of things you need to find 1st, a suitable location that is adaptable for situations as this.
Logistics #1 location, location, location.
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-08-2007, 11:59 PM Reply   
http://www.cablewakeboard.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemi d=49

i took you straight to what you asked for, but this entire site has everything you will need to know. bottom line, you will need about 1 million to even think about it. there are lots of logistics, insurances, permits, etc, but this site tells you all you need to know and what to contact. (digging your own lake is possible and even mentioned, check it out)

i say build it if you have the cash and backing. i live in nashville. people would come from miles around and you could get easy and heavy use for a full 8 months out of the year. the nearest one, orlando, would still be a good 8 hours away.

if you didn't have that much money, a flowrider might would be a cool cheaper option. once again, a real moneymaker i believe. build it indoors and use it year round.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-09-2007, 4:52 AM Reply   
are you refering to the flow rider as the fake wave? those cost more than the cable system.
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-09-2007, 8:30 AM Reply   
yeah, the surfing simulator. i just assumed that would cost a lot less. it seemed like it would have less logistical nightmares. wow!
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-09-2007, 8:50 AM Reply   
yeah as far as permiting and stuff it would be easier. TSR was thinking about getting one, but I think the price was around 2 mill
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-09-2007, 9:24 AM Reply   
why would it be more expensive than an entire cable park which would require more land, permits, water source, etc?
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-09-2007, 10:16 AM Reply   
iy just depends on what you have. If you already have a lake and own your own land the cable system is only 250k. of course if you have to start from the ground up it will cost you much more. You could definitely have a cable park with everything required to run it for less than 2 million...at least from the research I've down.