Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2008

Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-29-2008, 6:40 PM Reply   
Hey all,

We have some serious alternator whine on the factory installed setup in our 08 X1. Sounds fine when boat off, but basically unusable when engine running.

Not sure if any of the many amp settings are off, or if the factory messed something up on the install?

How does one diagnose?

Here is what's in the boat, and the settings it came with. 4 speakers in cabin, 2 towers speakers, one sub -- all JL stuff except Clarion head unit. MC factory install. Only one battery on boat, but should still be possible to get it work me thinks.

Pointers would be much appreciated. Gracias.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-29-2008, 7:27 PM Reply   
verify no power wires are close to your rca's, you might want to re run your own wires away from ones that look suceptable. Make sure you have solid grounds. Ive noticed this on a demo test 08 x2, I dont think they know how to best wire these boats.

Determine which part is injecting this radio frequency. Start by only having only one amp turned on, check for the same issue. work your way through all the variables.

(Message edited by canecorso on March 29, 2008)
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-29-2008, 7:36 PM Reply   
fb I had an RCA connection cause some noise last year. At least you got to ride.
Old     (jpuckett)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-29-2008, 8:23 PM Reply   
It came that way from the factory and you paid top dollar to have it. So take it back to the dealer and let him fix it.
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-29-2008, 8:30 PM Reply   
thats the issue the dealer sometimes is the one to install all that stuff, there boat pros not audio, hopefully they can find it for u without not too much down time.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-29-2008, 9:07 PM Reply   
Doesn't look like factory install
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-29-2008, 9:11 PM Reply   
I had what I thought was alternator whine. It was coming from the blower motor. Motor runing=blower on= whine through my speakers.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-30-2008, 2:15 PM Reply   
i have a loud deisel truck with subs and i had to by really expensive cables and wire so it didnt pic up engine noise. what im saying is they might have cheaped out on your wires, and they might not be insulated that well. are your wires gold plated, insulated.etc??
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-30-2008, 6:46 PM Reply   
uh oh. Not another alt whine issue...
Old     (jpuckett)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-30-2008, 6:50 PM Reply   
Then let the dealer send it out to a local audio store and let Master Craft or the dealer pay for it.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-30-2008, 11:27 PM Reply   
Have them move the deck's constant power and ground to the same power point as the amp uses and your problem is likely to disappear. Running the deck power or ground off the instrumentation harness is the most common mistake boat dealers/manufacturers make. Try a temporary wire first...
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-31-2008, 6:11 AM Reply   
Thanks all for all the input. Have not had a chance to get back in the boat yet, but will for sure run down some of the leads.

Yeah, I have no problem taking it back to dealer, but figured peps on here generally know what you are talkig about, so if there are any obvious things to look at I'd do that first.

Much appreciated.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-31-2008, 4:33 PM Reply   
I too was not happy with MC on how they wired the radio and amp (2008 X2). I had to pull the amp power out and rewire it because they had it running at least 2 feet paralell with the rca cables and speaker wire. They also used at least 20 feet of wire and had it folded up beside the ballast box. I also moved the radio ground with the amp. This fixed all of my hissing. Another problem was that the power and ground of the amp shared a their posts with the ballast power. The whine was even worse when I ran the ballast. Now the amp is wired directly to the first battery.

My dealer is 4 hours away so it was quicker (and cheaper) for me to fix it. I have always been a MC man, but I lost a lot of respect for them when they violate stereo 101 rules.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-01-2008, 9:56 AM Reply   
Remember they are a boat builder and not a stereo shop with specialized training.

I am more than willing and more than likely to "tweek" my stereo..
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-01-2008, 10:21 AM Reply   
Are those amps mounted to the floor, and what drivers (size and type) are you cutting to 120Hz?

I also see one of the X-overs set to lowpass and it is cut to 120Hz. What size is the sub?

(Message edited by olSkoolTige on April 01, 2008)
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-01-2008, 10:24 AM Reply   
No, walkway wall under dash.

Don't have boat right here -- whatever standard JL sub that come in these. Anyone?

Greg -- as far as them not being a stereo shop -- perhaps, but they then should not pretend to be one either...

(Message edited by fbroen on April 01, 2008)

(Message edited by fbroen on April 01, 2008)
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-01-2008, 10:37 AM Reply   
Sorry if that isn't very specific Steve. As my initial questions probably give away, I know next to nothing about audio stuff... Filters are set to whatever they came as...
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-01-2008, 10:49 AM Reply   
Many people have different taste in music and settings but a crossover point of 120Hz is a little high for what I prefer. I usually run interior components down in the 85-100 range, and the sub in the same range with some overlap. Tower speakers I set a little higher.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-01-2008, 11:01 AM Reply   
Thx all again for advice. When I get a chance to get in the boat, will run down the leads and settings. Will let you all know how it goes.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-01-2008, 1:40 PM Reply   
Get some cheese and enjoy yourself.