Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 22, 2006

Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-17-2006, 8:35 AM Reply   
Can someone explain to me how to do a triple up. i was also hoping someone had a picture of a triple up wake compared to a double up wake. thanks
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-17-2006, 8:49 AM Reply   
I can't say that I'm any good at driving them or really know the proper technique....But I've been in the boat when they were driven, just didn't pay any attention as I was bracing my self for the THUMP THUMP..

Anyway, here's a picture of a double up on an '05 X-Star and a 3-up on the same boat the next day. The 3-up is a VERT wall that can swallow you and stop you dead in your tracks.Upload
Upload
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-17-2006, 9:04 AM Reply   
so how do you drive a triple up
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-17-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
very slowly at first...
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-17-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
http://extremeboarders.com/main/doubleup/doubleup.htm
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-17-2006, 9:14 AM Reply   
It's like a double up with a kink in it. You know how you do a quick V shaped turn if you wanna throw roller towards a kayaker? So you've got this long V shaped roller going down the lake (this is made by two wakes coming together), then you rip around and line up the huge bump with whatever side of the wake the rider is going to try and hit. You can also whip them into it and hit it like a snowboard kicker. Kinda hard to explain but I'm sure someone will come with a diagram.
Old     (john_v96)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-17-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-17-2006, 12:27 PM Reply   
this triple up seems kinda complicated and i already have a hard enough time hitting a double. practice practice practice, right??
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-17-2006, 12:50 PM Reply   
Triple up is easier to hit, harder to drive though.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-17-2006, 12:57 PM Reply   
B Tingey...practicing hitting the double by starting your cut from where the white wash from the boat is, like 10 feet from the wake..it will make your timing much better
Old    moombarider132            05-17-2006, 1:21 PM Reply   
i tryed to hit a triple up during the winter. it was 45 outside and the water was like 52(cold front) and 45mph winds. dont ask me why we were out there we were bored. so yeah my friend drove one in his san210 with about 1200pounds extra and at first i aproched it thinking i mised it and expected that "no pop" feel you get when you miss a double up. well somehow as soon as i was on the wake it formed and peaked at about 3 feet! scary! so anyways i obviously didnt expect that and proceded to launch in the air, but not very high at all. in fact i landed in the middle of the wake. it was big but it seemed to give at the top. weird, but that was my tripple up experience.
Old    moombarider132            05-17-2006, 1:26 PM Reply   
oh yeah and to drive them you need a really big area, bigger than for a double up, and if the rider is regular and wants a heelside jump, the first turn you make is right and the other way around. so you turn right and drive a ways(you really have to feel for the distance) then make a sharp turn in the opposite direction and drive about the same distance as before and drive your big turn around loop as you do in a double up. youll drive through the first double up and look for some triangle shaped waves and drive strait through them and the rest is all up to the rider. any questions? you dont understand? ok let me start over......
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-17-2006, 1:35 PM Reply   
so why does this make such a bigger wake then a double from the description it sounds like it should be same size as a double up, is it noticeable that much bigger, if it is why dont the end comp runs with a triple up instead
Old    moombarider132            05-17-2006, 1:43 PM Reply   
1.because the two wakes form together making it much bigger than a double
2.yes it is noticably bigger
3.probably because of the large area needed to drive one and the extream difficulty to hit one right
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-17-2006, 1:53 PM Reply   
Triple ups are much more unpredictable and are more for boosting super high than anything. They make tricks pretty tough because the boot off the wake is pretty violent. I saw Kyle Schmidt drive one that peaked at 4 feet high and was cresting like a breaking wave. I don't think many people want to head into that with a big head of steam in a contest. Its also super hard on your body boosting that high. Can you imagine the triple up off a completely loaded down X-Star or SAN? A pro weighted Double up is about all one needs or wants. its more of a lets see how high we can take this. The whips are just fun...you get a ton of air.

Technically it's two rollers coming together and then converging with the new wake off the boat. Three "wakes" coming together, hence triple up.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-17-2006, 1:54 PM Reply   
i can imagine one off an x-star or SAN but a malibu now thats hard to comprehend
Old    moombarider132            05-17-2006, 1:57 PM Reply   
lay off the crack btingey
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-17-2006, 1:59 PM Reply   
lol
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-17-2006, 1:59 PM Reply   
Learn to jump toeside yet B Tingey?
Old    moombarider132            05-17-2006, 2:02 PM Reply   
i was jk btw vlx's throw a massive wake i know
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-17-2006, 2:03 PM Reply   
i'm still working on it but man i can go huge heelside thats for sure, lol, wait is that suppose to be sarcastic,
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-17-2006, 3:14 PM Reply   
Upload

there ya go. There's actually a couple ways to do it. there's one.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-17-2006, 4:41 PM Reply   
what that diagram doesn't show is that you actually drive through the very large roller created by the kink.

Yes it was sarcastic. Learn both ways, then you can, wait no, you still can't bash other boats.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-17-2006, 5:18 PM Reply   
Upload
Speaking of crack, here is a pathetic diagram attempt of how we drive them. Follow the arrows and you will see the normal double up, then I gun the throttle after driving the double up, whip back towards where I came and the rider whips in(blue arrow) towards X marks the spot. At that point, there is a massive mess of waves smashing against each other. If the rider gets a powerful whip, and pumps through to the best roller he will FLY. We often do 1 1/2 flips for fun and often miss the ideal point of attack. Fun stuff when the lake isn't crowded and you're shot from your regular riding session.

If it doesn't make sense to you, the next time you drive a regular double up and the rider falls, sit and watch the water for a little and you will see the potential. If this doesn't make sense, I have a few cocktails in me, so oh well.
Old     (john_v96)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-17-2006, 7:11 PM Reply   
image/bmpUpload
tripple up.bmp (73.7 k)
Old     (john_v96)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-17-2006, 7:13 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (john_v96)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-17-2006, 7:14 PM Reply   
Upload
Old    mracrew2            05-17-2006, 7:21 PM Reply   
ive been trying a new technique with the normal double up driving path, but when i create the first rollers i slow down to about 14-16 mph, or just b4 plane to create the meatiest wake possible and as i turn around for the hit i accelerate back to 20-22mph its been workin preety good and ill try to get some fotos next set out.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-17-2006, 8:41 PM Reply   
Yea, what Mike said... Too much effort for me to draw it out but a nice slow arc puts off a massive wake!