Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (stanton21)      Join Date: May 2007       05-15-2007, 6:52 PM Reply   
Going to look at a 1987 saltaire with 464hr 23 footer..Guy says its in great condition garage kept and used on weekends for a little skiing and tubing..What should i be looking for on the boat when i look at it tommrow..

Any help would be great.

Stanton21

(Message edited by stanton21 on May 15, 2007)
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-15-2007, 9:06 PM Reply   
I would check all fluids to see how clean or dirty they are. It can be an indication of how it was maintained.

check for soft floors.

look for cracks in the hull(underneath of boat).

Listen to motor for knocks or ticks.

Test drive it and see if it has any vibrations.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-16-2007, 5:14 AM Reply   
Check the motor mount bolts. If they do not feel snug and turn it could be an indication of stringer rot. I have an 86 supra maruader and I have 2 that will tighten but loosen again. I am going to put a bit bigger ones in for a quick fix for the summer then fix them right this winter. Common Soft spots are under drivers seat and right in front of back seat from traffic coming in. Good luck. Thats low hrs
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-16-2007, 8:10 AM Reply   
If I was buying a boat of that age, I would not buy it without conducting a compression test. Due to the difficult nature of changing oil in boats, most people don't do it.

Don't ever buy a boat without driving it first.
Old     (stanton21)      Join Date: May 2007       05-18-2007, 4:11 AM Reply   
Well thanks everybody that posted for me..I looked at the boat and did what you said and i am a owner of a supra that need a little TLC..The soft spot on the floor in the back was found and i think i can fix that with a better bracing system since the shaft is under the spot..Its not rot is just in and out wear..The boat drove excelent...Watched the motor when getting out the hole and it never moved...the back hach cover was rotted out so that is sitting next to me right now getting the hundreds of staples out of it...I picked the boat up from the guy for 8,0000..pulled all the carpet off the trailer..That just a night mare waiting to happen as a water catch..Hope i made the right move..

Thanks
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-18-2007, 5:22 AM Reply   
congrats on the new ride. You will love it. I have a winter full of projects I didnt get done this year since I just bought a house. I had to put her on hold. Post some pics when you get a chance. I had the same feeling after I bought mine and I wouldnt take it back for anything.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-18-2007, 8:57 AM Reply   
anyone know how to weight this boat? a friend has one and weve added up to 2000 pounds with no luck
Old     (stanton21)      Join Date: May 2007       05-19-2007, 3:03 PM Reply   
I found while realy inspecting the boat in the drive way in the sunlight..A defect from the factory that was covered with bilge oil were two peices of the main stringer that run the full frount to back of the boat on the right side under the driver side seat through the hole were the bilge pump is stright down about 3 1/2 feet from the right motor mounts, the wood were the fiber glass was not sprayed on verywell and there was a small gap in the glass and the wood that let water into it..It looks like two peices of wood in there i drilled holes along it and water came out and the wood is soked in there..Rot for sure but i cant tell how far it gose back..I am thinking the worse trying to dry it out the best i can...Its the only thing so far...