Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       04-22-2003, 6:40 AM Reply   
How are you placing weight [and how much weight]
for Wakesurfing?
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       04-23-2003, 8:58 AM Reply   
Nobody wakesurfs?
Had this on two different forums all week
and nothing?
I've seen some useless topics get better play.
Sad.
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       04-23-2003, 9:02 AM Reply   
Oh wait... How many sub-woofers should I use
to weight my boat for wakesurfing?

Where should I place my monster tower during
wakesurfing.

Can I wakesurf behind a tige?
Old    david_fletcher            04-23-2003, 9:04 AM Reply   
Atleast you got a good sence of humor. LMAO

Old    aka Bradley Beach            04-23-2003, 9:24 AM Reply   
Whichever side of the boat that your boat backs to, weight the opposite side. I'm using a 500lb sack on that side (port side in my MC) along with making all the passengers sit on that side as well. 500lbs along with the passengers makes the wake pretty large at 11 mph.

Hope this helps.
Old    k2_mn            04-23-2003, 9:24 AM Reply   
I have only wake surfed behind one boat, oddly enough it was a Tige. I think he had 1600lbs of balast, most was in the back except for a tube sac in front.
I cant wait to try this year, my dad heard about it and he is dieing to try too. That cracks me up he dosent ski, board, tube, nothing and all of a sudden he is dieng to try wake surfing.
Old    swpmwinc            04-23-2003, 9:28 AM Reply   
Sandy you forgot to post the magic words (SAN is the best) in your post it seems to be the only way to get a response.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-23-2003, 9:33 AM Reply   
We usually keep our riding weight in the same spot, full sack in the trunk, 350 of sand in the bow(99 MC 205), and I just make all the heavy people cram into one corner of the back. If you're surfing the driver side wake, get everyone (or your ballast) in the back on the driver side and steer the boat at a slight right arch....have fun, i think it's a blast!!
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-23-2003, 10:15 AM Reply   
When this pic was taken we had about 350# in the left rear locker and two guys on the left side of the boat, along with about 300# up front. Boat is a Tige 20v, TAPS all the way up and PP set to 11mph. Too much weight and the wake will be very washy.

Matt surfing
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       04-23-2003, 10:17 AM Reply   
So, prop rotation affects the surf wake?
I did try it on the on the driver side
because I ride goofy foot.
Are you saying it would work better on the otherside? Even if I have to ride heelside?
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-23-2003, 10:18 AM Reply   
that thing looks HUGE compared to all the other pictures i have seen!!! i havent tried it yet, but no other pictures have i seen the wake that big.

please tell me that is photoshopped. the wake looks like it is at his waist.

Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-23-2003, 10:28 AM Reply   
You'd be surprised at what inboards are capable of with the right combination of weight, placement, and speed....
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-23-2003, 12:41 PM Reply   
well, then i hope i can do the same thing with a '02 xstar. cant wait to try it!!
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       04-23-2003, 12:56 PM Reply   
S,
Think it's kinda early in the season... guessing from some posts that alot of people are still waiting to try it. I have not tied to surf behind my MC yet. We went out in Scotty’s Toyota last week and tried surfing for the fist time. (think it’s the same boat as yours) We ran a full sack in the locker and one full sack on the passenger side. Only two of us were in the boat so one driver and one sitting on the back sack.

I was out watching the week before on Porter’s new Tige and the wake was bigger for surfing. We still need to experiment a bit and bring a few more people. What have you tried so far??
The pic above looks great.

I think you weight the side of the boat you want the wake to curl towards to allow for regular and goofy footed riders. I have not heard of the weight based on prop rotation?? Not sure about that.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-23-2003, 2:54 PM Reply   
Nope, no photoshop work (I wouldn't know how to do it even if I owned photoshop!). I don't know why the wake was so big and clean that day. I do know that my boat and the 22v both put up a great wake for surfing.

I posted a video on wakepics that includes quite a bit of wakesurfing including some cool angles
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=5687

Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-23-2003, 3:25 PM Reply   
I was there. Bill's 20v was putting out a good wake for surfing that day.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-23-2003, 3:28 PM Reply   
I'm 6'3" and not even in the sweet spot here.
Old    k2_mn            04-23-2003, 6:48 PM Reply   
Bill,
That was a great video!
Old    krug            04-23-2003, 7:07 PM Reply   
anybody out there ever try hitting a pefect surfing wave like thatm, being pulled in the opposite direction from second boat at normal riding speed? I have its scary fun but be carefull!!
Old    sprucie            04-23-2003, 9:56 PM Reply   
We used to jump cruiser waves with our first HyperLite long before wakeboard boats were around. Cracked the board down the middle. Warranty claim, new one in hand in a week.

(Message edited by sprucie on April 23, 2003)

(Message edited by sprucie on April 23, 2003)
Old    powjunkie            04-28-2003, 10:23 AM Reply   
Here's some pics from my Malibu 23' V-drive when weighted for surfing - a full sack in the rear port locker, a partially full one in the port middle locker, and another full in the center ski locker...oh yeah - the wedge may as well be permanently welded down.
off the lip
man's best friend
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-28-2003, 10:52 AM Reply   
Lloyd, when you say a full sack, is that a 500 lb sack or a 350? Also, what do you mean by a center port locker? Under the seats? I have no such locker on my LSV.
Old    powjunkie            04-28-2003, 11:39 AM Reply   
They are all 500lb sacks. Yeah, I meant the storage area under the seats on the left side. I have a rectangular shaped sack that fits pretty well there. It will only fill about half way, but it's enough to provide a good lean and keep some of the weight centered. It goes from the rear corner cushion to the bow side edge of the hinged lid. I have all of the sacks hard plumbed with a manifold of valves and two 2000gph pumps - one for filling and the other to empty.
Old    biddyb            04-28-2003, 4:07 PM Reply   
All you need to do is weight the hell out of one side of your boat. I have been surfing behind boats forever and all we ever do is throw about 1500lbs on one side toward the back. The prop wash thing is horse shiznit just put the weight on whatever side you feel comfortable.