Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-30-2010, 3:02 PM Reply   
Hey I was wondering if any of you have this problem. My trailer seems to have a slight lean on the opposate side of the trailer jack. It's not like I have my trailer jack up super high or anything or is a cheep o jack. The boat & trailer are sitting level But It's like im getting a twist or a lean in the trailer because Im only geting support from the trailer jack on one side. I have a DHM trailer with the C tube.

I had thought about adding a second support jack so I would have support from both sides at the front.
I currently have a Fulton F2 as my main jack, Fulton now makes a Bolt on version of the F2 with a solid foot (with out wheels) this seems like it would fix the problem right quick. They are like $160 and bolt on

The Idea was I would have a jack on the right and on the left. Im constantly getting in and out of the boat working on it and thought this would give it more stability, Its somthing I would only use
during long work projects and winter storage ect
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-30-2010, 3:11 PM Reply   
Prolly all them amps you have on one side! J/K
Old    SamIngram            12-30-2010, 3:42 PM Reply   
I have seen several trailers at the lake lately with permanently affixed RV scissor jacks at all "four corners" of the trailer. A lot of RV's have these so that when you are in the RV it doesn't sway and lean back and forth when walking around the RV. It also takes the weight off the suspension and tires when not in use. Additionally, if you are in a high theft area you jack up your trailer and take the wheels completely off. I think this might be ideal for changing flat tires too, just use the jacks that are already mounted, no need to screw around with another jack.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-31-2010, 1:59 PM Reply   
Just put a jackstand under the trailer just behind the hitch so it is held up from the center. Or, just ignore it and make yourself a cocktail instead! It'll be fine. Not like that boat is going to be sitting for more than a couple months anyway.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-31-2010, 6:13 PM Reply   
Rigth Grant like a bolt on is going to be acceptable to you.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-01-2011, 2:41 PM Reply   
"I'm constantly getting in and out of the boat working on it and thought this would give it more stability. It's somthing I would only use during long work projects and winter storage etc."

My answer has been, a 12 foot 4x6 made into this
Attached Images

Last edited by john211; 01-01-2011 at 2:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       01-02-2011, 3:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by john211 View Post
"I'm constantly getting in and out of the boat working on it and thought this would give it more stability. It's somthing I would only use during long work projects and winter storage etc."

My answer has been, a 12 foot 4x6 made into this
Was going to suggest the same thing. No need to over complicate this.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-02-2011, 4:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Rigth Grant like a bolt on is going to be acceptable to you.
Yea now that you say that, Its gonna be kinda ghetto next to my orignal F2 with weld on. The boat stays at the lake most of the year. My welder buddy is in the Bay.
To drive 2 hrs just to have him weld on a mount is the reason I thought of the new bolt on Plus the sold foot. Im gonna be bringing the boat home soon to make room in the garage to do a new Stereo project so mabey Ill just go for the Weld on. I wonder if they have a F2 weld on with a solid foot,

For me I think it's a better fix to just add a second jack then to have blocks of wood or have a jack stand laying around for when I need them. I can get the F2 for like $100 and the mount for $20 and $40 to have the guy weld it on.

Overkill is so Under-Rated
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-02-2011, 11:07 PM Reply   
I would view any small boat trailer (less than 25') with two permanently mounted tongue jacks as being a little hokey, just my $0.02

The bigger trailers with loads usually have the jacks mounted in the center. However, I don't think you could do it without interfering with your slide out tongue.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-03-2011, 12:16 PM Reply   
I don't even use the trailer jack on my race car trailer. Use the trucks airbags to raise up, set a jack stand, lower the truck and drive away. Hand cranking is just so 1990. Ha, ha, ha. A jack stand works awesome and is super stable. Besides.... What self respecting guy doesn't have one already lying around the garage?

Bolt on is really hokey. Welding will require re-painting. I guess if you're really out of other projects....
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-03-2011, 1:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Yea now that you say that, Its gonna be kinda ghetto next to my orignal F2 with weld on.
I just remember when you first dicovered the F2 and introduced most of us to it you were adamant about it being welded on. I don't know maybe I'm picturing it wrong with big U bolts starpping it around the frame.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-03-2011, 1:16 PM Reply   
Trailer lean is gangster, its like pimp swagger. I like sitting in the driveway and pretend we are surfing. In fact I'm going to get smaller wheels put on one side to make it even more gangster.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-03-2011, 4:49 PM Reply   
^^^^^ That is hilarious for two reasons. 1. Pimp Swagger - on a trailer, in the garage. lol. 2. The smaller wheels so it looks like you are surfing....lol. Maybe I am just tired but I thought that was hilarious.

My vote is for the Bling Bling to maintain its Cholo lean.....
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-04-2011, 8:41 PM Reply   
Here is what Im talking about
Attached Images

Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-04-2011, 10:45 PM Reply   
needs the 3 tacos truck next to it to look truly cholo gangsta... LOL

Jackstand, done.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       01-05-2011, 2:13 AM Reply   
Are you sure the boats on there straight? Seems like its just loaded slightly crooked more than an uneven trailer to me.
Old     (quik876)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-05-2011, 3:40 AM Reply   
have you checked your guides? one of them could be busted or loose somehow towards the rear, I was going to say the same thing as Brit rider, that maybe the last time you pulled it up on the guides that it came up a lil crooked on th left side there (looking at the pic as I see it) it does look like the back has shifted, like maybe the wind pushed the boat off-center as it was eased onto the trailer while still in the water, had that happen to me a couple of times, so we rock the boat while it's on the trailer a lil to see if it shifts back to center, which is usually the case (someone else pull it up on the trailer last time out? or did you?) but the jack looks strangely buckled there, how the wheel and the post angles off to the right and not centered, could be just cranked too high there, but I wouldn't think that is the problem.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-05-2011, 6:53 AM Reply   
The boat is on straight. Although from the picture I see what your talking about. The crash pads on the front have quite a bit of side to side slack, and they are leaning to the left. They seem to be adding to the optical illusion of a crooked boat. Im 99.9% sure the bunks are solid and it's like what Im talking about. Weather the boat is on straight or off just a bit shouldn't make that much of a leen. It's almost like a slight twist in the trailer. And im sure the leef springs are all in good shape. Mabey this is common with "C" Channel trailers VS Box trailers a slight twist.

Look at the Jack Leg??? Its like a twist or sideways pressure is causing the leg to flex out?
Old     (99sportster)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-05-2011, 11:53 AM Reply   
Grant-did you drive the trailer straight into the garage or have to angle it in and push the tongue over? It definitely looks like the leg of your jack is bowing out like the tandem wheels are putting torque on the jack stand to the right. Since the F2 jack stand height is adjustable on the mount, you could also lower the upper portion so the lower leg has more support.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-05-2011, 12:28 PM Reply   
The jack leg on my race car trailer does the same thing. That's why I use the jackstand. For my trailer there was some play in the jack where it swivels. I re-built it and tightened up the tolerance, but it still does the same thing. Try putting a jack stand under the other side and lower the boat onto that. If it straightens up, then you know you've got it handled with another jack or you can just live with it. If it still stays twisted, then you've probably got another problem and have something to look into.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-05-2011, 5:54 PM Reply   
The jack on my trailer is much worse, likely because I extend it to the max so my cover drains the water off the back. I don't have any pictures but I know that it's worse.

Caution technical content ahead... From a statics standpoint there are two forces acting against you. The first is the twisting moment caused from the jack being mounted to the side of the rail as it tries to twist the rail itself. The second is the twisting moment caused from the lifting rail being off center. Both of these actions are twisting the trailer counter-clockwise from the perspective of the picture. The wheels on the ground are counter acting these forces and the twisted trailer is the result of the deflection you see before the forces balance between the structural members of the trailer. Since this is a C channel trailer it does not handle this twisting force as well as a box tube trailer. Structurally speaking, there is nothing wrong here, it's just how things are settling out. From a visual standpoint it seems to bother Grant. Placing a jack on the opposite side on the other trailer rail will cancel out the second force and straighten out the trailer but not the first so the jacks will still lean in towards the top, hence my opinion as a "hokey" fix. The jackstand is a simple and effective solution to eliminate both forces. The trailer should spring back to a level position as long as there is no creep causing a permanent twist in the metal and as long as George at DHM built the trailer straight.

Last edited by mikeski; 01-05-2011 at 5:56 PM. Reason: added more useless info...
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-06-2011, 10:18 AM Reply   
What he said ^^ .