Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (bsmith17)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-28-2009, 2:46 PM Reply   
Just purchased Pro60s and Pro80s. Looking for advice about what amp setup to run to these speakers. Any suggestion or experience much appreciated.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-28-2009, 3:00 PM Reply   
1st choice, Syn6, next would be the syn4

From their website: Syn6 - (1) Pair of PRO 80’s with (1) pair of PRO 60’s: (1) pair of PRO 80’s bridged on channels 1-4 and (1) pair of PRO 60’s on channels 5/6. Power: 200 x 2 and 155 x 2

Syn4 - 125W's rms x 4
Old     (bsmith17)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-28-2009, 3:17 PM Reply   
Thanks Mike but I am really hoping to get some suggestion other than manufactures proprietary suggestion. Looking for knowledge about performance with other equipment.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       03-28-2009, 3:46 PM Reply   
You wouldn't be going far wrong with something like a Kicker SX 900.2 (digital amplifier).

Only problem is they just got discontinued - which I can't get my head round 'cos they were bad ass amps.

That'd throw 215 watts RMS down x 2 channels. Which you could run in series to the speakers

If you can find one I'd jump on that... few places still have them and they come up second hand once in a while.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-28-2009, 4:17 PM Reply   
Brandon, I actually run the Wetsounds SYN2 amp to this exact setup. Im running 175 watts rms to each apeaker and they sound loud and clear. Sorry i have no experience with another amp to this setup.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-28-2009, 4:32 PM Reply   
Brandon,

What's wrong with the Wet Sounds amps, their speakers were good enough for you but the amps aren't

Tim set up his amps to be the best match for his speakers. My answer contains exactly what you seek as indicated in both of your posts.

If you want to go with another brand of amps, then you have all the info you need to make that choice already.

The 80's like around 200W's rms and the 60's like around 150W's rms, as indicated in the owners manuals. Your best bet for performance and sound quality, other then the syn6, is a 4 chnl amp IMO. A 2chnl with enough power will work, but the 4 chnl will sound better when having 1 speaker per chnl.

Other then a W/S amp, my next choice would be the Kicker ZX850.4, 175 W's x 4 @ 4ohm.
Old     (bsmith17)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-28-2009, 5:08 PM Reply   
No no not at all the wet sounds equipment is awesome I was only curious about what all is out there.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-28-2009, 5:18 PM Reply   
Sorry if it looked like I was just copying and pasting from their website, it's just easier then retyping the specs. There are plenty of quality amps out there that meet the specs needed, but the Wet Sounds amps are the best for more reasons then just the output. The class G/H amps are the most efficient out there, this means less heat and less power consumption which results in more play time, more volume, cleaner sound.
Old     (bsmith17)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-29-2009, 2:07 PM Reply   
Question:
What is better?

1. Using a single four channel amp and giving each speaker 175W x 4

2. Using 2 different two channel amps and giving the Pro80s 300W x 4 and the Pro 60s 200W x 4

In my mind the reasoning would favor the second option.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-29-2009, 3:24 PM Reply   
The "X 4" in your specs appears that you are looking at two 4 chnl amps and not 2 chnl amps. What amps are you looking at? Are their specs by chance 300W's x 2 and 200W's x 2? And at what ohm load are those specs based on, 2ohm or 4 ohm?
Old     (bsmith17)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-29-2009, 5:27 PM Reply   
Yeah sorry I meant 300W x 2 and 200W x 2

I am just thinking out loud about how to get the most out of these, so the above mentioned setup is just brainstorming.

I was thinking this would all be a 4 ohms.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-30-2009, 3:55 AM Reply   
^^^ Understood, but are those advertised specs at 4ohm or 2 ohm? If those specs are "X"W's by 2 chnls at 2 ohms, the 4 ohm output could be considerably less.

two 2chnl amps is not a bad way to go, just more work to install then a single 4chnl.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-30-2009, 7:42 AM Reply   
Brandon,

The best option and most powerful option in a single amp solution is the SYN-6.

You are running 2 different sized speakers that both have different rms ratings. So a standard 4 ch amp or 2 ch amp is going to work but not be as ideal as the SYN-6. The SYN-6 is ideal since it has a dual power configuration. So it offers two different power outputs.

It would run 200x2 to the 80's and 155x2 to the 60's. Perfectly matched RMS ratings for both. And it is going to be an easier install and can be a better value when considering trying to get that much power, you would have to purchase 2 amps.

You want to try to get as close to as you can to RMS power ratings. We have a ton of people running the SYN-4 to this set up and love it. 125 to the 60's is great as they are rated at 150 but 125 is good power to them. Although in this set up, it leaves the 80's a tad under powered. Steve has the SYN-2 which in 2 ohm stereo is even better as far as power. Giving 175 to each speaker. But when running a 2 ch amp with 2 different sized speakers, you have to gain it to match the smaller speaker, in this case the 60. So the 80’s have to be gained down a bit.

Again, many people run them this way and love it so I over analyze it a bit. But always want to give the best solution first and then second and third choices so that there is solid set ups that fit all budgets and goals etc…

Now, if you want to go to a 2 amp set up. Yes you can run more power than rms like you mentioned. For instance, 2 SYN-2 amps, so 200x2 and 200x2 and you can set them up for each sized speaker. Or a SYN-4 in 2 ch mode to the 80's getting 400x2 and a SYN-2 on the 60's etc...

But on all of the set ups, the SYN-6 is still going to be the best as far as power and easy install and value vs. a Two SYN amp system.

Now you can find other amps on the market as there is many choices. If you are looking around, you want to see what the dollar per watt you are getting is. And compare what power you will be running it at. You have to be careful as some companies only list their 2 ohm rating. So you have to dig through the user manuals etc..to find out the real power. And look around at the newer advanced technology amps. The SYN amps are class H amps. So they are more efficient than a class AB amp and run cooler. There are also class T and full range class D which are different technologies but all 3 of these classes will offer you more efficiency and cooler running. All are great for marine. Also, when looking at amps. Another benefit is comparing marine amps to marine amps. In the past, there were not a lot of options for high powered marine amps. But with the SYN amps and some other models from other companies, there are finally high powered marine amps. So check those out as well.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-30-2009, 5:28 PM Reply   
No other marine amp on the market is gonna compare to the Wet Sounds amps. I've installed several and actually have a Syn6, 2 Syn1's, and a Syn4 in my boat. My shop sells Digital Designs and a few other brands, but the WS amps are by far the best option for a boat. They can handle the extreme heat in the consoles, they can stand to be splashed a little, and not to mention the customer service that comes with them....
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-30-2009, 5:43 PM Reply   
what about alpine's boat marine amps? the pdx amps are a very good amp now available in a marine app.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-30-2009, 5:44 PM Reply   
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/series-c.php?category=MAR_SYS_SOL
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       03-30-2009, 7:26 PM Reply   
The Alpine amps are great but won't have sufficient power for this application. unless 2 amps are used on the tower, which would end up being a very expensive solution when the superior wet sounds goods could have been used....
Old     (bsmith17)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-30-2009, 8:01 PM Reply   
Thanks guys for all the information... the more I research and ponder this setup it seems to point rather clearly to the WS amps.
Old     (bsmith17)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-30-2009, 8:05 PM Reply   
Additionally, I am in the market for a new head unit for this boat. My old unit does not have an I-Pod port. Does anyone have input for head units? I will need something that allows me to utilize the two remote stations in my boat (one at driver's seat and one at swim deck). I realize I will likely have to upgrade my remote stations as well.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-30-2009, 8:30 PM Reply   
Alpine is gonna be the best head unit upgrade. Their marine equipment this year is pretty awesome, but it's pricey. Kenwood is okay, and Clarion is out there too.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       03-30-2009, 8:36 PM Reply   
The clear choice for me would be a Fusion IP-500 head unit.

Its IP65 rated (far more 'marine' than anything else out there), has an internal iPod dock (so you flip the front down, put your iPod inside and forget about it). Multi zone control (so you can independently control the volume on the tower speakers and in boat speakers, even the bow speakers too if you want.

It has a stack of cool EQ style features such as adjustable high pass, low pass, cross over's etc etc... Its easily the most advanced unit I've seen when it comes to marine stuff.

The sounds not half bad either ;)

Link -

http://www.fusioncaraudio.com/north-and-south-america/marine-audio-2/stereo-units-15/msip500-56-product.aspx