Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (tailgate)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-28-2008, 8:51 PM Reply   
I have a new 08 Moomba LSV, and it did not come with a sub, and I would like to add one to give it a little more bottom end.

Is the stock sub just in the foot rest and not sealed? Where have others put their sub? Will to be to muffled in the forward storage? I was also thinking of fabbing a box that integrates under the driver dash with the footrest, but not sure I have the time or effort to do that just yet... Should I go with how the stock does it?

Im not looking to be the loudest boat on the water, just something to complement the stock system.

any advice or thoughts?
Thanks?
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       09-28-2008, 9:25 PM Reply   
I cut out part of the foot rest, glassed it in, carpeted it, and built an enclosure to fit in there. I also built a box that fits way up under the dash on the passenger side. Very time conusming but worth the work.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (cab13367)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-28-2008, 9:46 PM Reply   
I've got the 2006 version of your boat and it did not come with a sub either. Yes, the factory puts the sub in the footbox and it is not a sealed enclosure, far from it. I did the same, used a non "free air" Polk MOMO 10" sub and it does sound "boomy". I might try to build some kind of custom box over the winter to get better sounding, tighter base. I won't go through as much trouble as Newty though, although I have seen his set up first hand and it looks and sounds fantastic.

Al

(Message edited by cab13367 on September 28, 2008)

(Message edited by cab13367 on September 28, 2008)
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-29-2008, 1:29 AM Reply   
I have an 07 LSV and was wondering if it voids the warranty if you cut out the kickpanel? I made an okey azz box with a 12 in it under the dash just for some bass to go with my HSE Trident tower speakers. I got to get that thing out of there and make it look legit like the rest of the system quickly.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       09-29-2008, 6:10 AM Reply   
I spoke with my dealer before I cut that out to make sure there would be no warranty issues. Its not a structural part of the boat. Its actually very thin. Dealer said no problem.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-29-2008, 10:34 AM Reply   
Tailgate,

We routinely install a .625 net displacement enclosure under the driver’s dash. We use 5/8-inch stock to limit the size. There’s barely room to get this in place over the top of the floor hump and under the steering fixture, but it does work. The 10-inch driver (Polk dB or JL WI for example) is side-firing to the outside. The mounting bracketry gets a little inventive. And, we build a carpeted birch façade to conceal the box. This really sounds good with 150 to 200 honest watts.

The floor hump will facilitate a 10-inch free-air woofer. It’s a little constricted for a free-air with the limited view into the bilge and the foam-filled bilge, but a free-air woofer still works the best in the floor mounted application. Kenwood, Sony, etc. free-air woofers are white. Alpine is silver. JL Audio has a dark sport grill. Kicker has a silver marine 10-inch driver and the grill pattern matches the factory installed coaxials. This particular Kicker is not a free-air but passes.

Hope this helps.

David E. M.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-29-2008, 11:28 AM Reply   
Brian - Have you talked to Marty or are you wanting to just do something yourself? Auto Sound does most of the boats for WSA and WSBD so you might look into that. They just built a box to go under the driver's feet and I like it there. They could probably answer some questions for you even if you don't get it done there. Good luck!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-29-2008, 12:10 PM Reply   
^^^ I thought Earmark Car audio did most of the work for them?
Old     (tailgate)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-29-2008, 12:23 PM Reply   
I havent been in to talk to Marty or the stereo shops yet to get estimates... I was thinking about making it a winter project, but it might be worth my time and money to have a shop do it... that is if I have any money left...

David, do you have any pictures of what you are talking about with the box?
Thanks
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-29-2008, 2:51 PM Reply   
Tailgate,

Yes, Earmark has done the great majority of WSBD boats over the past several seasons.

EarmarkMarine.com Install, Supra Gallery shows several dozen Supras but only a few Moombas.

The finished Moomba product looks just like a Supra façade without evidence a sub enclosure has been installed.

I didn’t realize until now that you’re close by. We prebuild the Moomba boxes and brackets plus have construction illustrations on computer file. Stop by the Lewisville Marine facility and take a look.

David E. M.